SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 07-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
pjm0322
pjm0322 is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Aura trunk release not working

Any suggestions for me? I cannot keep going through the back seat to get in the trunk. There is no key release on this model. Now I have a string tied to the manual release hatch that runs through the back seta. Here is what I have tried:
Changed fuse
Changed relay (I can hear it clicking when I press the key fob or door release)
When it first happened, I crawled into the trunk through the back seat and opened it manually. The latch worked properly if I used a screwdriver to flip the latch so it was in the same position as when the trunk was shut. The door release and fob both worked. But now, it will not work at all. I wonder if it is a wiring problem, but I do not know how to check to see if it is getting power. Any ideas?
BTW - what kind of engineer puts the trunk release relay and trunk release fuse IN THE TRUNK . . . and does not bother to put a traditional keyhole on the trunk to release it in case the fuse is out?
pjm0322 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
servodave
servodave is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR
Default Re: 2007 Aura trunk release not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm0322 View Post
BTW - what kind of engineer puts the trunk release relay and trunk release fuse IN THE TRUNK . . . and does not bother to put a traditional keyhole on the trunk to release it in case the fuse is out?
The same sadistic monster who created the headlamp bulb access scheme.

Ok, first things first.

I would put a meter between the solenoid wire and a good ground in the trunk somewhere, then trigger the mechanism with the key-fob. If you get a switched 12volts then the solenoid is probably bad or the mechanism is jammed. If I had to guess it is plastic like the door locks...that goes back to your question RE the sanity of engineering.

If you get no signal at the solenoid, it is either the wire between the relay and the solenoid or between the power source and the relay. A relay clicking might simply be the command signal from the body control module. It will probably not be the higher current source used to drive the solenoid.
servodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Badman
Badman is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

if you pushed the latch in with a screw driver and the door release and key fob worked then it has power. My bet is its the latch needs to be adjusted. I think when the trunk is closed there is more pressure possibly pushing up the trunk. the solenoid might not be strong enough to pop the trunk. i would try pushing down on the trunk and hit the fob button. if that work the rubber might be coming up or something is in there between the trunk and rubber seal. just my opinion based on the situation.
Badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
Badman
Badman is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Ok that theory didnt work. the trunk just came open. I wouldnt push down either apparently the trunk know when its open. I held the trunk close and the solenoid sounded like a machine gun. the solenoid opens and pops it up alittle and if it doesnt open it continues to pop. it could be a solenoid problem.
Badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
dierk017
dierk017 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

When you hit the trunk release does it make a bunch of clicking noises and 50/50 chance it might actually unlock the trunk. If so you might have the same problem as I which I guess because the plate on the trunk is slightly out of alignment.

I have the repair instructions for it if you want. Just PM me and I'll send it to you. If I don't respond right away bear with me and I'll respond as soon as I can.
dierk017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
kaseymoo
kaseymoo is on a distinguished road

If you trunk light is also not working, then you have lost feedback from the trunk lock mechanism. I had the same problem on my son's car. It ended up being two broken wires that come from a switch in the trunk lock mechanism. The two wires that were broken were in a harness that, looking at the trunk when open, is on the left side. Obviously, it flexes when you open and close the trunk. The wires were broke at the point where the wires flexes. The harness is in a black "Chinese Finger" material. You have to remove some electrical tape, slide the "chinese finger" material back and hopefully find the break like I did. Good Luck
kaseymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm0322 View Post
Any suggestions for me? I cannot keep going through the back seat to get in the trunk. There is no key release on this model. Now I have a string tied to the manual release hatch that runs through the back seta. Here is what I have tried:
Changed fuse
Changed relay (I can hear it clicking when I press the key fob or door release)
When it first happened, I crawled into the trunk through the back seat and opened it manually. The latch worked properly if I used a screwdriver to flip the latch so it was in the same position as when the trunk was shut. The door release and fob both worked. But now, it will not work at all. I wonder if it is a wiring problem, but I do not know how to check to see if it is getting power. Any ideas?
Did you ever get this issue resolved??? Please provide us with feedback on whether you've gotten this problem fixed or are still working on it or putting it off. Your answer really might help someone else dealing with the same / similar problem.
2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Furymaxx
Furymaxx is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I just registered to say a big Thank You to kaseymoo for the wire idea.

My trunk (on my 2007 Saturn Aura) stopped working a couple days ago. After moving the car seat a little to allow me to put the back seat down and getting my son to release the trunk I did the same check as others (Fuse, Relay, screwdriver test, etc.)

It wasn't until I found and read kaseymoo's post that I realized " Yep - my trunk light stopped working also...."

I pulled out a couple of the tree clips holding the top trunk cover and exposed the wiring harness. Peeled back some electrical tape, pulled down the flexible wire wrap and BAM! 2 broken wires.

Everything works fine again.

Thanks
Furymaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furymaxx View Post
Hi All,

I just registered to say a big Thank You to kaseymoo for the wire idea.

My trunk (on my 2007 Saturn Aura) stopped working a couple days ago. After moving the car seat a little to allow me to put the back seat down and getting my son to release the trunk I did the same check as others (Fuse, Relay, screwdriver test, etc.)

It wasn't until I found and read kaseymoo's post that I realized " Yep - my trunk light stopped working also...."

I pulled out a couple of the tree clips holding the top trunk cover and exposed the wiring harness. Peeled back some electrical tape, pulled down the flexible wire wrap and BAM! 2 broken wires.

Everything works fine again.

Thanks
I'm going to be proactive and wrap that weak area with additional electrical tape. Good info!
2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #10
Trae Jay
Trae Jay is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dierk017 View Post

I have the repair instructions for it if you want. Just PM me and I'll send it to you. If I don't respond right away bear with me and I'll respond as soon as I can.

I need this please. I don't know how to work cars at all by the way.
Trae Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
Humy
Humy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

check out this thread

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?t=178842#
Humy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #12
paps09aura
paps09aura is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: 2007 Aura trunk release not working

I had to post this reply and join this forum just because of the benefit I received from reading the threads about the trunk release not working as I have been using a string to release my trunk for a couple of months now. I have a 2009 Aura and the key fob and the trunk release button did not open the trunk, the trunk light did not come on, the reverse lights did not work and the third brake light on the rear window also did not work.

Thanks to this thread, I was able to find the culprit, being a broken black wire within the harness strapped to the under side of the trunk lid on the left hand side. Thanks to all that post on this forum as I was able to fix my trunk release and pass inspection.

BTW if you are having problems with your Saturn Key fobs not working, the battery clip on the circuit board has a bad solder joint. If you get sick of trying to re-solder the clip, go to Amazon and order new ones for $15-$20 (dealer wanted $125 for one fob) and bring to a dealer to reprogram for $25 (both). Problem solved.

Hope this helps someone else.

Have a great Day!!
paps09aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
Bradb76
Bradb76 is on a distinguished road

So I just bought an 07 aura xr and the trunk doesn't open by the switch or remote. I read on here that most people have problems with the wiring but then they have no trunk light as well. My trunk light still works, fuse is still good and relay clicks. Before I dig into this should I look at my wiring first since my light still works? It's cold as hell today high of 0.
Bradb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:34 PM   #14
Saturn500
Saturn500 is on a distinguished road

I have a similar issue on my XE. Trunk wire got pinched and cut last year. Repaired the wire and things worked fine for a while. Now the trunk won't open, no light when open, but I can hear the switch fire when I hit the trunk button. Thoughts?
Saturn500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #15
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn500 View Post
I have a similar issue on my XE. Trunk wire got pinched and cut last year. Repaired the wire and things worked fine for a while. Now the trunk won't open, no light when open, but I can hear the switch fire when I hit the trunk button. Thoughts?
I believe I'm correct in stating that your car has an interior emergency trunk release handle. I would fold down the rear seats to access the handle and release the trunk lid. After doing that I would examine all of the mechanism. It seems to me that if you hear the switch causing the latch to move then it should function correctly and the trunk should release. Nevertheless, the problem exists.

I'm not certain, but there may be both an electrical and mechanical failure. Of course, the tell-tale warning light for the trunk being open won't illuminate until the lid has moved upward enough to allow that switch's circuit to close and send a signal to the dash console that the trunk lid is open. (FWIW, my trunk will stay in place after using the electric release when the weather striping seal around the opening has become stuck to the lid.)

Whatever the case, this is how I would think the problem should be approached.
353K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #16
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I had this identical issue this past summer. It turned out it was the wiring. The trunk light worked intermittently (it would go on and off when I jiggled the wire) and I heard something clicking but the trunk wouldn't open. Turned out it was the relay(?).

Fortunately it was covered under my extended warranty and I haven't had any problems with it since. However, I think they did a pretty crappy job of stripping the woven wire cover and then re-taping everything with shiny black tape frankly it looks like a half-assed DIY job but at least it works.
2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:07 PM   #17
sterrym
sterrym is on a distinguished road

Had the same problem and the fix was the same as KaseyMoo pointed out.

Iím my case one of the wires had been pinched to the point that the shielding broke. Another wire had been snipped completely. Both were damaged right where the wires exit the trunk lid. Seems that the black sled(?) molding had slid down and then somehow the wires were pinched.

I stripped the one snipped wire, put a new shield over it and used electrical tape to attach it back to that black plastic sled(?) molding. I made sure to re-secure that black plastic sled(?) to make sure it didnít slide down again to expose the wires.
sterrym is offline   Reply With Quote