SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 09-28-2021, 11:09 AM   #1
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2
Default Balancing Fuel Injectors? Scotty Kilmer

Scotty Kilmer has a video showing his diagnostic scan tool ‘resetting and balancing’ injectors: https://youtu.be/
Summary: New fuel injectors need their parameters set in the PCM using an advanced scan tool.
Is this something that would work on the S-Series?
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Balancing Fuel Injectors? Scotty Kilmer

Your link just goes to YouTube's home page. Try getting to the video then copy/paste the link.

In general, if the S-series or any EFI system has programming to tune individual injectors then this would be well known. I believe this isn't a fact for Saturns. Every Saturn manual doesn't have a chapter on tuning injectors using GMs scantool. Technically, every injector is manufactured using precise manufacturing and machining methods to ensure quality control for every injector, periodically replacing manufacturing parts as they wear out to maintain precision manufacturing tolerances. Assuming precision injector manufacturing eliminates any tuning because this adds to complications of programming engine computers.

I personally doubt this YouTube wonder as he's selling products to support his so called expertise. I would consider experts as ASE certified in specific areas of EFI systems, suspensions, brakes, steering, xmissions and more, depending on how extensive and knowledgeable a person is to achieve status in each area. If you've ever watched South Main Auto, the man doesn't sell products and only shows his expertise in diagnosing, troubleshooting and repairs, all in layman's terms without throwing in technical words to confuse diyers interested in how an expert can show how experience is revealed while talking/thinking out loud to convey his methods for repairs.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:20 PM   #3
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to all

1997 SW2

Scotty Kilmer is a lot of help on a better than than basic level and has a lot of mechanic's sense. He however is also good at self promotion and seems to be a shade tree freelance mechanic that knew the right time to jump into the youtube phenomenon. He had a Mr. Auto Mechanic gig on a local TV station prior. He's entertaining and full of knowledge but he doesn't seem to have any real Saturn S-Series awareness. I like what he does but like any human being he's not the truth on two feet.
• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #4
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Your link just goes to YouTube's home page. Try getting to the video then copy/paste the link....
https://youtu.be/DqqW_1GGaz0

Sorry ‘bout that!
Old 09-28-2021, 03:41 PM   #5
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

It' s a Saturn.

We might not be able to balance the injectors -.

But we have no trouble balancing the checkbook....

Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
98 SL2
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:00 PM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
It' s a Saturn.

We might not be able to balance the injectors -.

But we have no trouble balancing the checkbook....

True that!
Old 09-28-2021, 05:11 PM   #7
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I personally doubt this YouTube wonder as he's selling products to support his so called expertise. I would consider experts as ASE certified in specific areas of EFI systems, suspensions, brakes, steering, xmissions and more, depending on how extensive and knowledgeable a person is to achieve status in each area. If you've ever watched South Main Auto, the man doesn't sell products and only shows his expertise in diagnosing, troubleshooting and repairs, all in layman's terms without throwing in technical words to confuse diyers interested in how an expert can show how experience is revealed while talking/thinking out loud to convey his methods for repairs.
I am not a fan of his over-the-top criticism of domestic brands, but I don’t think I’m the target audience. One must wear big boy pants when listening to SK
Old 09-28-2021, 06:19 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I watched with scepticism as Kilmer went thru his shaking videos and made at least two mistakes. First, he never reveals to the audience his scantool may or may not work on every vehicle brand and doesn't state what vehicle he's showing his ability to wander around his scantool. That's misleading to perhaps draw unsuspecting people into subscribing to his channel or calling/texting/messaging in his video to answer specific questions such as "if I buy your recommended scantool will it work on my xyz pickup truck's injectors?" Second, he mentions his scantool cannot connect to Teslas. Duh!? Maybe he doesn't know Teslas are 100% electric with zero emissions controls, making virtually every scantool made useless since Teslas aren't ICE with electronically controlled xmissions. I'm not familiar with Teslas but have viewed several Tesla repairs by Rich ..... that may have Elon Musk flipped out as this youtuber has attempted repairing totaled Teslas in hopes of resurrecting destroyed Teslas back to service. His current project was to gut A Tesla and put in a LS engine/xmission to mock Tesla.

The electronics in Tesla controlling the battery system running the motors is all new electronics unique to conventional ice vehicles so Tesla cannot adopt OBDII comms to look at data since an ice engine doesn't exist. Abs, traction control, are probably vastly different in programming and may require a different comm setup unrelated to OBDII. Kilmer doesn't mention this at all and has a beef with his inability to see Tesla data. Perhaps an example of old school mentality unable to grasp evs with maybe a whole new on board diagnostic system that had to be invented. I have no idea but would know as soon as I buy any ev. Whether Teslas have factory service manuals available to owners, I don't know. With ice vehicles, service manuals answer all questions. Kilmer doesn't address these subtle differences like Saturns not having the ability to tune injectors.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:39 PM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Last/only time I watched Kilmer I got serious 2am Infomercial vibes and haven't been back.

The posted idea about using the PCM to balance the injectors seems sound, but IMO you'd need a wide-band O2 sensor to even start to do a decent job of it and the S-Series does not have one.

Even when you can use the PCM to balance the injectors, it won't fix an injector that isn't flowing as much as it should, it'll just bring the others down to the bad one's level. Kinda like your Doctor saying "Oh, you have a broken finger? Lets break the others so they're all working the same" rather than doing anything to fix the 1 broken one...
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:09 AM   #10
Gerheardt
Gerheardt is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I really doubt such operation could be done on such a basic old car.

In my opinion Scotty is the one that needs to be balanced because he's yelling nonsense 9 times out of 10.

Scotty beats the crap out of a never maintained S-Series: "Those cars are all junk"

Scotty changes a head gasket on a 25 000miles Toyota: "You'll never have more reliable than a Toyota!"

1995 manual Saturn SL2 320 000kms
1995 automatic Toyota Tercel 28 000kms
2000 automatic Volvo S70 probably more than 400 000kms
Gerheardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #11
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I only saw one of his videos, where he trashed the S series. That was enough.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote