SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 09-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
Roy Lee
Roy Lee has a spectacular aura aboutRoy Lee has a spectacular aura about

Default '08 Aura won't start

Hello everyone, new to forums, been driving Saturns for years. My family owns 3 sl2's, an Ion, and an Aura.

The '08 Aura won't crank, battery voltage is good. No security light, tried both keys just in case. When I turn the key to on, fuel pump does not run either. Relay 32 (run/crank, ignition) is getting 12v, starter relay 31 is receiving no voltage to it's coil. There is voltage at the contact terminals of relay 31, and if I jump them, the engine will crank but not start. So, it seems like key on, dash lights okay, no fuel pump. Key in start, not sending signal to starter relay. I thought about the neutral safety switch, but that shouldn't keep the fuel pump from running, correct? I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere, so I am here asking for help from anyone who would be so kind to do so.

Thanks
Roy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: '08 Aura won't start

Which model, engine? Checked for blown fuses?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
Roy Lee

According to the VIN, the engine is the 2.4 DOHC L4 VVT
I checked the fuses under the hood at the relay center, and in the passenger compartment, they all tested good.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

From your brief descriptions, this seems to be a Pass-Key III security issue as the factory security system disables starting and fuel. Are there any aftermarket electronics?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:19 AM   #5
Roy Lee

The car is completely stock, no modifications. I'm not familiar with passkey III. I didn't see a security light as I am used to with the older systems. Is there any way i can get around this?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2014, 02:31 AM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you have the owner's manual, read it. Pass-Key III is GM/Saturn's theft deterrent system - car immobilizer using the rfid/chip in the ignition key to enable/disable the EFI and starting system. Your keys are coded and read by the theft deterrent module in the ignition switch assembly to allow engine operation. No manual? http://www.saturn.com/owners/owner_r...s/manuals.html

There is a security indicator to tell you when its operating, in standby mode or disabled when it fails it own self tests to prevent being locked out from starting and driving your car. This presumes the battery has sufficient power for vehicle electronics and your ignition keys are original rfid transponder keys and not plain copies. There is no real bypass method to GM's security system as its embedded into the electronics and spread out to several modules including the transponder module in the ignition switch assembly. If you cannot start the engine with a good battery, you may have to tow the car to GM for proper troubleshooting and repairs.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:53 AM   #7
Roy Lee

Thanks for your help fdryer. I'll look into this, and post back when it's resolved
Old 09-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If you have the owner's manual, read it. Pass-Key III is GM/Saturn's theft deterrent system - car immobilizer using the rfid/chip in the ignition key to enable/disable the EFI and starting system. Your keys are coded and read by the theft deterrent module in the ignition switch assembly to allow engine operation. No manual? http://www.saturn.com/owners/owner_r...s/manuals.html

There is a security indicator to tell you when its operating, in standby mode or disabled when it fails it own self tests to prevent being locked out from starting and driving your car. This presumes the battery has sufficient power for vehicle electronics and your ignition keys are original rfid transponder keys and not plain copies. There is no real bypass method to GM's security system as its embedded into the electronics and spread out to several modules including the transponder module in the ignition switch assembly. If you cannot start the engine with a good battery, you may have to tow the car to GM for proper troubleshooting and repairs.
This. I'm suspecting the battery is on its way out. OE battery?
2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
Roy Lee

Battery has been replaced, good connections and voltage. Tried jump starting for the heck of it. When I jumpered the contacts on the starter relay, it cranked at a normal speed, so the battery does seem okay
Old 09-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There's more to this than you may have imagined......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf immobilizer-description-and-operation.pdf (27.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf pass-key-iii-electronic-immobilizer-operation.pdf (23.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: pdf anti-theft-1-of-1.pdf (25.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #11
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

i'd start by checking for dtc's. note most security system codes are body codes that a basic reader can't see.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
Roy Lee

Just an update for all who were so kind to help.

Had the car towed to a dealer, and they said the ECM was bad. Guess I have to take their word
Old 09-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ouch!? That's not saying much for ecm longevity.............
Old 09-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #14
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Lee View Post

Had the car towed to a dealer, and they said the ECM was bad. Guess I have to take their word
And before they soak you with a huge bill they will guarantee it for how long?
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:26 AM   #15
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:

8 yr/80,000 mi warranty on original ecm.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:50 AM   #16
Roy Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
8 yr/80,000 mi warranty on original ecm.
There really is such a warranty on the ECM?
Old 09-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #17
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
There really is such a warranty on the ECM?
yes. it's mandated by the federal emissions warranty coverage. covers all cars since '95.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #18
Roy Lee

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help, especially greenman who made me aware of the warranty on the ECM. The dealer tried charging for a new ECM, but I had printed out a copy of the 8 yr, 80,000 mile coverage. He said he never heard of that warranty before, but nonetheless, deducted it from our bill. I never had faith in car dealers, and this mans poor ability to lie has reinforced my thinking.

Thanks again to all.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #19
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
He said he never heard of that warranty before, but nonetheless, deducted it from our bill. I never had faith in car dealers, and this mans poor ability to lie has reinforced my thinking.
I know i should be shocked by such blatant lying but it just doesn't surprise me much anymore.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #20
nailheadjim
nailheadjim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hello everyone, new to forums, been driving Saturns for years. My family owns 3 sl2's, an Ion, and an Aura.

The '08 Aura won't crank, battery voltage is good. No security light, tried both keys just in case. When I turn the key to on, fuel pump does not run either. Relay 32 (run/crank, ignition) is getting 12v, starter relay 31 is receiving no voltage to it's coil. There is voltage at the contact terminals of relay 31, and if I jump them, the engine will crank but not start. So, it seems like key on, dash lights okay, no fuel pump. Key in start, not sending signal to starter relay. I thought about the neutral safety switch, but that shouldn't keep the fuel pump from running, correct? I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere, so I am here asking for help from anyone who would be so kind to do so.

Thanks
Hey Roy. I know how frustrating this problem is having just gone through the same problem. I had read about another Saturn Aura owner found that the ground wire on the drivers side engine block has a 5 wire ground that controls the ground for the neutral safety switch. I hooked up a scanner that tells you what each module has going on with it. When my car is is in park the ecm says it was in gear. Sure enough I wriggled that ground cable and watched the scanner screen jump back and forth from in gear to park neutral. when I got the wire to say it was in park neutral it would start. Clipped the old terminal off and replaced with a new one and it starts right up every time. Hope this helps.
nailheadjim is offline   Reply With Quote