SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 08-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
ggxarmy
ggxarmy is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Pulled the interior door latch too hard.

As said in title, pulled it too hard. Door will not open from the inside at all, feels like it is not catching onto whatever mechanism is on the inside. Is it a hassle to take the door panel off and fix things like this (I have the tools), because I will probably just replace the speakers at the same time?
ggxarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Action Jackson
Action Jackson is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Pulled the interior door latch too hard.

Not really a hassle. The small "panel" at the door handle is probably the annoying part to remove, and there's a screw behind it. Then it's just 8 self tapping screws (in total) with a t20 screwdriver. Need to remove the tweeter panel by pulling straight out.

You'll see the electrical connectors and the easy as pie to remove door release mechanism.
2016 Honda Fit EX CVT
2008 Saturn Astra XR 5spd (traded)
2000 Acura Integra GS 5spd (SOLD)
2003 Mazda Protege5 5spd (RIP)
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
trm65
trm65 has a spectacular aura abouttrm65 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Mine did the same thing. Priced out the replacement.
Expensive.
The cable and inside door handle are one piece.
My cable broke at the hook that goes into the mechanism at the door latch.
It is an S curved piece of weak metal.
What I did was picked up a small piece of approx. 1/8" steel wire.
I took the broken piece to match up the size.
Bent it to the same shape as the broken piece, with an extra hook on the handle side.
Held the new piece to the cable, wrapped it with speaker wire (stripped of insulation).
Hit it with the soldering iron and a bunch of solder.
Put it all back together.
Been working great for over a year.
Washer jets. Custom grills. Dodge spoiler.
Lowering springs. Stock 18's turned white.
SAAB dual horns. Hand made cargo-cover.
Cherry bomb 14" turbo muffler.
trm65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:40 PM   #4
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Reviving an old thread because mine broke on me today. I seem to see that the cable is available separately for about $28.00 GM part number 13185564 for the drivers side. Same part number for the passenger side.

Although I am of the mind to see what kind of repair I could make that would be better than the factory. Take a trip down to home depot and see what I can vamp up. Will post any good ideas I come up with.

smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:51 AM   #5
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

OK my trip to Home Depot was fruitful!

Got an aluminum sleeve/spacer that for the end of the broken cable arm nicely with a bit of grinding. Drill some small holes then a couple of cotter pins to hold it all together. You loose one leg of the bend the kept the cable in line with the arm it pulls on but it does not seem to be that big of an issue.

Supplies:
#6 x 1/4 in OD x 3/4 in aluminum spacer
1/16 in x 3/4 in stainless cotter pin
(Found both of these in those pull out drawers in the nuts and bolt isle)

Tools:
1/16 inch drill bit (used it in the dremel tool for precision hole drilling).
Dremel tool with cut off wheel, grinding or sanding barrel.
Assortment of pliers and channel lock to hold cable end while working on it. Small vise would work well also.
Side cutting dikes.

So first take your broken cable and match the pieces back together and draw a sketch of what the factory end looks like. get a distance from the start of the cable end to the end of it. You will try and recreates this distance with the spacer. Or get as close as you can.

So if yours broke in the same place as mine you will first have to cut off the 90 degree bend at the end of the cable to make it a straight barrel type cable end. Then grind off the ridges and bulges in the cable to get it to fit inside the sleeve/spacer. Once you can get both ends in the spacer mark them for depth so your total distance is close to factory.

Drill your holes making sure to get straight through the center of the sleeve and the cable end. This can be hard, the cable end is a tough piece of metal. Once drilled insert your cotter pins, turn them back on themselves around the sleeve and cut off the excess length of pin.

Finished product installed:

smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #6
fer.saccon
fer.saccon is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread, but I'm giving my two cents anyway. Just for future reference.

I've fixed mine with a bike brake cable ($3). Not that the original part was expensive, but for us in Canada the shipping is way more expensive than the part itself and I didn't like the original design, as they are prone to break again at some point due to the weak aluminum ends.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, but the idea is so simple that I don't think they are necessary. You will reuse the original door latch cable housing but replace the internals with a bike cable, that has about the same thickness. Remove the old cable by cutting one of the ends off and route the new cable trough the same places(holes). I started from the door latch and ended at the door handle. Remove any excess cable you may have and add a cable end to it. Any cable end that it's tick enough to not go through the hole is fine (perhaps a small washer may help you), but I had a cable end with a screw laying around, so in the future if I need to remove the door panel again, I can disconnect it. Hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71URjEUSNtL._SX425_.jpg (26.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg adjustable-brake-cable-end.jpg (58.0 KB, 11 views)
fer.saccon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Hello Friends,
It seems I have gotten myself into a pickle. The same day I encountered a problem with a parking stop trying to remove and eat my bumper, I also obtained a problem with my driver’s door.

When I attempted to open the door, the handle snapped on something, I felt something come loose. Then the handle became very light, like it wasn't connected to anything. And of course that is the case. For the last month I have had to roll down the window and open the door from the outside. If you check out smwalker’s posting with great picture on 7/11/2015, you can see the situation I believe I have going on in my own door. I have the door card off, but have yet to remove the multiple latching and locking unit.

I am curious if anyone here has some knowledge of the part numbers for the push-in plug connectors. For that matter, even numbers of other manufacturers parts that might also work. Whether it was for this repair, speaker replacement, or whatnot, I would welcome any help on parts numbers to make an effective repair. I will be checking at Lowe's in Home Depot on the chance they have something compatible. Until I get these parts replaced , I may be driving around with the door card off and the electrical switching just hanging or taped to the bare door. I have to get the window down and up in order to get out of the car.

I actually bid out this repair to the body shop who recently replaced my bumper. They declined, they don't want to work on a 13-year-old car unless it's a Toyota or Honda. That is, enough for this kind of fussy repair where parts are going to be a problem. This, despite my having the new, most important part.

So I am all ears on any suggestions. Let me know if I've been an idiot and missed some important diagrams or instructions already posted to another thread.

Many thanks beforehand.
Z18XER powered Astra: 138 horsepower, but you'd swear it had 140!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:20 PM   #8
eric08
eric08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Greetings:

I had to muddle through replacing the cable on my 2008 XR as it was broken at time of purchase. The cable and a few other interior trim parts are available at gmpartsdirect.com . Where they are discontinued the OE part number and specs are often listed, giving you something to build upon. The cable for the two door is GM# 24463581. Site link to other door card hardware and related: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/v-2008...rim-front-door .

Sadly, I never was able to locate an instructional video on the repair, only basic door card removal, which you sound to be beyond already.
eric08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:21 PM   #9
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Euro door part numbers are here. The US numbers might be the same or easier to cross reference.

https://opel.7zap.com/en/car/a04/c/9/

OT - when I removed the interior door panel, a few plastic clips became unglued from the particleboard. I used 2 part epoxy and clamps to reattach the clips and they have held fine for a few years and going...
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:26 PM   #10
eric08
eric08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

AstraFasta:

Dittos on the clips and solution. Thanks for adding as I had forgotten that annoying part of the job. Quite brittle material, that door card. Even while taking great care I still pulled two of the plastic connectors clean out of the card.
eric08 is offline   Reply With Quote