SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
Puck head
Puck head is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Codes: cylinder 3 miss fire, camshaft position sensor. Transmission range sensor

I have a 97 sc2 w 229k miles on it. My service engine soon light has come on and gone away the last 100k miles but now my service light w the wrench is on and my inspection is due. I took it to autozone and as always he said miss fire cyclinders 3, camshaft position sensor (no surprise there) always shows up), and transmission range sensor and my temp sensor too I think I'll heck that again. Well I've pretty much done almost all there is from new plugs, wires, coil,,egr,pcv, fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulater. Whats etsc? I know my motor burns oil and it fouls the plugs alot. I've never changed the o2 sensors yet or the tps or the etcs?etsc?
Puck head is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Original engine rebuild as documented by this site @ 177K due to high oil consumption. Mpgs back to 40+. Car runs smooth, like a top. Now at 220k. Successful rebuild !

1996 SL2
Default Re: Codes: cylinder 3 miss fire, camshaft position sensor. Transmission range sensor

The top three things to begin with are the ECTS, Thermostat, and O2 sensor so it sounds like your kind of working backwards. (no offense intended)

You really should go through this post. It is all there and very little that is missing:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167845
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
bluesl2
Master Member
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Codes: cylinder 3 miss fire, camshaft position sensor. Transmission range sensor

Do a compression test.
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

And when you get the car scanned, get the codes themselves. Don't use the descriptions/interpretations the store gives you. The codes help you diagnose the problem(s); the descriptions help them sell you parts.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Puck head

1997 SC2

Ok I've replace input speed sensor, ECTS, throttle position sensor, air idle position valve sensor, idler pulley and belt and took off throttle body and cleaned TB. LOTS of gunk inside the little compartments (needed to be taken off and cleaned a long time ago). Wish I wudve done this and the fuel injectors and the fuel pressure regulater. Made a BIG difference. But I still have the SERVICE light on w the little wrench. The service engine soon light doesn't come on when I first start car. I've heard this the problem w the dash light itself. Thoughts? Brb w codes
Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck head View Post
The service engine soon light doesn't come on when I first start car.
More than a good chance that this is the cause of your wrench light. If the SES light does not come on during the bulb check when the key is turned on then the bulb is likely bad. Start by replacing the SES bulb and see if the wrench loight goes out.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
Puck head

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck head View Post
Ok I've replace input speed sensor, ECTS, throttle position sensor, air idle position valve sensor, idler pulley and belt and took off throttle body and cleaned TB. LOTS of gunk inside the little compartments (needed to be taken off and cleaned a long time ago). Wish I wudve done this and the fuel injectors and the fuel pressure regulater. Made a BIG difference. But I still have the SERVICE light on w the little wrench. The service engine soon light doesn't come on when I first start car. I've heard this the problem w the dash light itself. Thoughts? Brb w codes
Also when I took my TB off I looked inside my intake manifold. Omg! It was caked full of carbon gunk. I tried cleaning some of it with the tb cleaner and a clean rag. But I know the only way to get it clean is to take it off and send to a shop that's can clean big parts. Also I took my plugs out and shined a flashlight down there. The pistons look horrible. Lots of carbon gunk as well. I'd like to clean the engine but don't wanna rebuild motor either. I know it burns oil alot so I guess this is what happens
Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Puck head

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
More than a good chance that this is the cause of your wrench light. If the SES light does not come on during the bulb check when the key is turned on then the bulb is likely bad. Start by replacing the SES bulb and see if the wrench loight goes out.
Ok I'll try that. A bulb. Who wuda Thot? Good advice!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
ehunter

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Original engine rebuild as documented by this site @ 177K due to high oil consumption. Mpgs back to 40+. Car runs smooth, like a top. Now at 220k. Successful rebuild !

1996 SL2

After all the changes you have made, have you zeroed out the codes in the PCM?

After suppose-ed fixes, zero-ing the codes is standard practice to see if they really do come back.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
Puck head

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
After all the changes you have made, have you zeroed out the codes in the PCM?

After suppose-ed fixes, zero-ing the codes is standard practice to see if they really do come back.
Im not sure how to reset the codes. I unhooked the negative cable when doing repairs and after repairs b4 I started motor I pressed the accelerater pedal 3 times. Not sure if this resets codes or not. I hv a 99 Sierra 1500 and I hv to do that after every oil cHange.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #11
ehunter

1996 SL2

Your ok...

disconnecting the battery cable for 5 min will do it.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
Puck head

1997 SC2

Ok so I replaced the bulb and it now works when I turn on my car. Ses light comes in w the rest of the lights on dash when I first start car only but the service light(w little wrench) comes on still. And when I was replacing bulb the damn hazard lights got stuck on. I managed to keep it down but I know if i press the hazard button it won't stay down and stay off. I'm so clueless now. I looked at the switch. It looks almost impossible to replace.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
Puck head

1997 SC2

Ok here are my codes: p0706,p0340,p0711,p0341,&p0303
Old 01-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
Puck head

1997 SC2

Ok now I've got a big problem. I accidentally ripped the green flimsy electric board on the back of the dash cluster ( speedometer). Now my mph meter doesn't work nor does my trip meter. I know I can get a used one from a junk yard but my miles will be off and I need an inspection. Anyone know how to fix the mile gauge to match the new car or do I have to get a new one ?