SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
getz_999
getz_999 is on a distinguished road

Default No start, fuel gauge says empty.

Definitely have over 1/4 tank of gas in it.

Already replaced coil packs, plugs, and plug wires. One coil pack was bad, and she was due for new plugs and I figured plug wires wouldnt hurt either.

This has happened a few times before. It will crank and crank and crank, but never start. Fuel gauge shows empty too. One of the times this has happened, it was running fine, and I suddenly lost power and watched the fuel gauge drop to 0 then the car stalled out.

Fuel pump? Fuel filter? I really dont wanna hear that its the pump. But if it is, so be it.

Insight much appreciated
getz_999 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
Cessna
Cessna is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
Default Re: No start, fuel gauge says empty.

You are on the right track, it will likely be either spark or fuel. Have you confirmed you are getting spark after the ignition work? On the fuel side, you should hear the fuel pump spin when you turn the key to the run position. You can also test the fuel pressure. If you take a small slot screw driver, turn the key to the run position and you should be able to press down the pressure test valve on the fuel rail and get a bit of spray from the pressure. Be careful and wear goggles. Good luck.
Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz_999 View Post
One of the times this has happened, it was running fine, and I suddenly lost power and watched the fuel gauge drop to 0 then the car stalled out.
sounds like an electrical problem to me... like you are suddenly and intermittenly losing power to the fuel pump and fuel level sender. May need to search out a schematic here and look for common points of failure, like a ground or something.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
getz_999

Thats what I was thinking. If it were a bad pump, it would just stop working completely right? Heading back to where the car was stranded to see if she'll fire up outta no where.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
getz_999

Well got there, tried to crank her a few times. Nothing

Then, for ****s and giggles, I disconnected the positive side of the battery, and reconnected it immediately. Key in ignition, turn to run, fuel gauge shoots up to 1/2 a tank, car starts.

Thoughts?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
johnny95sl2
johnny95sl2 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1995 SC2

Check the grounds in the trunk for the pump and sender. They will be on the left side under the carpet on the wall. CLEAN them all very well and reassemble. I had this exact same problem and this was the cure.
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:15 AM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

grab the positive cable and try bending it... if it feels "crunchy" under the sheathing, replace it as it has corroded internally (or check resistance). I've read it is not uncommon for some reason.

something else that happens occassionally, a previous owner will strip out the threads inside the battery by overtightening.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:27 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Year and model?

When it wasn't starting, did the SES light and/or Wrench light (if applicable) come on when you turned the key to RUN?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote