saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 08-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
danno101
danno101 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
Default OnStar location

Hi All,
I am new to the forum as well as new to the Saturn vehicles. Is anyone able to advise where the OnStar box is located in a '08 Aura XR ?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
danno101 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: OnStar location

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno101 View Post
Hi All,
I am new to the forum as well as new to the Saturn vehicles. Is anyone able to advise where the OnStar box is located in a '08 Aura XR ?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
over 2 years on this forum and that is the first time that question has ever been asked. Interesting...
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Kimosen
Kimosen is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Out of curiosity why do you need to know? I can't think of anything good that could come from messing with it.
Kimosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

I think I remember reading somewhere that it is located above the passenger's feet. I guess you can follow the antenna cables back to the box. The antenna wires come down the passenger side front pillar and into the side access cover thing when you open the door.
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Kimosen

2008 AURA XR

It is above the passenger's feet, actually. You have to fully remove the door to the glove compartment to reveal the fasteners that hold the onstar compartment closed. I can see if I can find the GM doc that details how to do it - but I highly advise against tampering or removing.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
danno101

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosen View Post
It is above the passenger's feet, actually. You have to fully remove the door to the glove compartment to reveal the fasteners that hold the onstar compartment closed. I can see if I can find the GM doc that details how to do it - but I highly advise against tampering or removing.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look tonight. I am considering replacing the OnStar box with a BlueStar box. So right now I am just assessing the workscope.
'08 Aura XR 3.6L
Red Jewel/Tan leather
It's got that too.....
Old 08-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
Phaeton Driver

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno101 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look tonight. I am considering replacing the OnStar box with a BlueStar box. So right now I am just assessing the workscope.
Ok! I'll bite, what is a blue star box? I googled it but nothing jumped out to be somehing you would install in a car.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

I think it is a box that replaces the onstar box and allows it to function as a bluetooth hands free kit.

I did this instead. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...etooth+install

OnStar still works like normal if I ever decide to subscribe.
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
danno101

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
Ok! I'll bite, what is a blue star box? I googled it but nothing jumped out to be somehing you would install in a car.
Go to costartech dot com. It is a box that replaces OnStar and allows you to use your cellphone as handsfree fully integrated with the original car system and controls. No sub fees..........

dan
'08 Aura XR 3.6L
Red Jewel/Tan leather
It's got that too.....
Old 08-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
Kimosen

2008 AURA XR

Dan,

Do yourself and call a few local stereo shops and ask how much it would be to install Bluetooth on your car.

Most stereo shops will perform the install for ~$200, or about the same cost as the BlueStar system. It'll perform exactly the same as well, steering wheel controls and all.

I highly recommend against removing your OnStar module.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #11
danno101

2008 AURA XR

Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out also.
'08 Aura XR 3.6L
Red Jewel/Tan leather
It's got that too.....
Old 08-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #12
billwill
billwill is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

If you just want Bluetooth for hands-free cell phone usage, buy one of the Garmin Nuvi GPS systems. The newer models have Bluetooth capability, plus you'll have GPS in the car as well.
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #13
Phaeton Driver

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosen View Post
Dan,

Do yourself and call a few local stereo shops and ask how much it would be to install Bluetooth on your car.

Most stereo shops will perform the install for ~$200, or about the same cost as the BlueStar system. It'll perform exactly the same as well, steering wheel controls and all.

I highly recommend against removing your OnStar module.
That's like a year and a half of OnStar. Then you still have your cell phone bill. and I don't think this system will call for help if you have a wreck and can't make a call yourself. It doesn't have a GPS location system to tell the operator where your are. It doesn't send vehicle diagnostic reports to your email.

For 12.95/mo I'll keep OnStar
Old 08-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Even if you do not subscribe to On-Star, I believe the "911/Emergency" feature still works. I would not remove or disconnect....
2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #15
jita1
jita1 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
If you just want Bluetooth for hands-free cell phone usage, buy one of the Garmin Nuvi GPS systems. The newer models have Bluetooth capability, plus you'll have GPS in the car as well.
Yep, I have a Nuvi w/Bluetooth. It even displays your address book from your cell phone and you can dial and take calls from the GPS.
2014 Chevy Impala 2LT, 3.6L, Blue
2014 Chevy Malibu LTZ, Black (wife's ride)

Then:
2008 Saturn Aura XE, 3.5L V6 (Traded in for Impala)
2011 Chevy Cruze 1LT, Gold Mist Metallic (wife's old ride)
jita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:35 PM   #16
InitialX
InitialX is on a distinguished road

Wrench Re: OnStar location

Instructions to remove the Onstar Unit.

Why? Because I choose not to have it, and can't think of why someone would think it was unusual to want that garbage gone from their vehicle. If you think an extra circuit board in your car is the thin edge between life and death.... maybe driving just isn't your thing.

I read several posts on here before and after purchasing my car, and most responses are just normal answers and anecdotes but in the few posts on this subject there is always people who get really ....opinionated about a tertiary level gadget attached to an automobile, and it makes me wonder why.

...On the other side of the coin; if you want Onstar out of your vehicle but carry a mobile phone anyway, I don't see the point. I mean how many GPS/Microphone/Camera data mines does one need in their immediate orbit anyway? 1? 5? 0?

Anyhoo...

For an 08 Astra, remove the entire glove box, by opening the door and removing the obvious #2 Phillips screws. (Do yourself a favor and drop a seat back so you can put it somewhere easily after removing it, while cramped up in the foot well.) I found it easiest to lay across the driver's seat, resting on the passenger seat and working from there. Careful of the glove box door, the mounting brackets are simple slide locks that release easily once the unit is moved, and you can break them easily. Slide them off deliberately if you're the clumsy type, or just shift the box enough to grip then close the door before removing it.

Once the glove box is removed, reach into the cavity, and up under the dash along the middle line of the glove box cavity. You will feel a "box" type structure with two wire harnesses leading from it.

[Quick/Dirty Method: Disconnect wire harnesses. Making sure the black box and battery are air gapped from both the vehicle and each other. Insert glove box, and attach with the removed screws.] It leaves the device in the car and it can be reconnected in the future or the data retrieved from it, but stops it from generating new data.

[Slow/Clean Method: Disconnect harnesses, then pull cable bundles from the wire clips holding them and feel around the face (facing the front of the vehicle) of the mounting bracket - you will find 2x #2 Phillips screws, you'll want a stubby screwdriver for this - remove them. The bracket should be removable, although you might have to pry/break a plastic mounting button on the back of the unit (facing you). I used pliers to just break the backing off, and pulled the whole bracket out.
Alternatively, if you push on the unit from right to left, you will feel the backup battery pack move slightly - It's hard but if you tilt it to the 10 o'clock position you can actually wriggle it out of there then slip the computer its self out. The first way is easier.]

Pop the glove box back in and voila. For good measure, disconnect the connector behind your mirror, to air gap the devices there, and you're done

The unit its self has no distinctive markings on it, even when you run the serial number stickered to it - it just returns as GM part xxxxx and has a very vague, disingenuous part description. Try it for yourself and see how black-holed the product is. If it was just a regular thing that did what it advertised, and a consumer wanted it, it should be a simple to find, and purchase part. Not some creepy little box jig-sawed under your dash with a HUGE backup battery, cryptically labelled as a radio receiver and other very strange descriptions. Apparently contacting the dealer about doing anything with the unit or ordering the part, gets you admonished for tinkering with things beyond your ken; like a child couldn't plug in a pair of uniquely shaped connectors and swap out the part.

I lost no functionality in the vehicle by removing it, the radio works fine, there's no features on the car that are reliant on the unit. Car works 100%.

For fun, reconnect it to the battery and attach it to a random boat.
InitialX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:56 PM   #17
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

This is the Aura forum, you state that the description is for the Astra, maybe you should repost to the Astra forum (unless you typo-ed).
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:34 PM   #18
InitialX
InitialX is on a distinguished road

Red Face Re: OnStar location

Yep, you're right.
My apologies.
InitialX is offline   Reply With Quote