SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 09-16-2020, 02:48 AM   #21
joeperil
joeperil is on a distinguished road

Default Re: "Service Traction" - "Service ESC" comes up

I have had this numerous times on my '07 Aura.

It was always either a bad wheel speed sensor or a break or short in the ABS wiring harness.

Unfortunately if it is a bad wheel speed sensor you will have to replace the wheel bearing and hub as it had the stupid speed sensor integrated into it. This turns a $50-$100 problem into one costing several hundred if a shop does it for you.

If it is the wiring you have to chase down to where the problem is and repair it. After two repairs I recently just had a mechanic replace the ABS wiring harness. The first time it was damaged by a mouse. The second time a wire just broke. The last time some water might have gotten into one of the prior repairs and caused the signal to fail.

If you are lucky, it could be just on of the connectors at the hub is loose.

And yes, for those that are selling, I can't see getting a decent price for the car with this problem since it lights up the ABS, traction control off, and stability control lights as well as always flashing "SERVICE TRACTION" on the display.
joeperil is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2020, 07:51 PM   #22
Project84
Advanced Member
Project84 will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR

Glad you guys bumped this with new info. I’ve replaced both right side (F&R) wheel hubs/bearings and no change. I took a close inspection of all wiring around the ABS sensors on the hubs, found no issues.

Going to inspect/fiddle with the MAP sensor. Mine’s a 2.4L, for what it’s worth. Car is still going decently. Just under the dash today attempting to access the “Recirculate door actuator” (yeah, no friggin way!) which is was brought me back to SaturnFans.
John
'09 Saturn Aura XR 2.4L
Previous - '01 SL1 daily driver and '96 SL2 auto 40+mpg hypermiler.
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #23
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

My Aura has developed an issue with "Service ESC" coming up. It's related to the steering angle sensor in the steering column. My car has hydraulic steering but the electric steering has one too.
Weird thing is, it only happens when it's below 10C. The error comes up first time the steering wheel is turned. Once the passenger compartment is warmed up and I turn the engine off then back on the issue goes away. The code I get is C0710-00 Steering Position Signal.

When I had bad wheel speed sensors I would get, "Service Traction", "Service ESC" and the ABS and traction lights would come on. So I think bad wheels speed sensors would trip all of the above. The LF gave C0035 an the RF gave C0040 codes. If bad the RR would throw C0050 and the LR C0045. There could be a -XX on the end of the code to help narrow down the root cause.

I'm pretty sure the steering angle sensor or the Yaw sensor will trip only the "Service ESC" message but the ABS light will be off.

Changing the front hubs doesn't preclude any of the other possible causes or wiring issues. The rear wheel speed sensors could cause the same issues.
Best bet is to read the codes from the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module).
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:01 AM   #24
cesssnaa
cesssnaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
My Aura has developed an issue with "Service ESC" coming up. It's related to the steering angle sensor in the steering column. My car has hydraulic steering but the electric steering has one too.
Weird thing is, it only happens when it's below 10C. The error comes up first time the steering wheel is turned. Once the passenger compartment is warmed up and I turn the engine off then back on the issue goes away. The code I get is C0710-00 Steering Position Signal.

When I had bad wheel speed sensors I would get, "Service Traction", "Service ESC" and the ABS and traction lights would come on. So I think bad wheels speed sensors would trip all of the above. The LF gave C0035 an the RF gave C0040 codes. If bad the RR would throw C0050 and the LR C0045. There could be a -XX on the end of the code to help narrow down the root cause.

I'm pretty sure the steering angle sensor or the Yaw sensor will trip only the "Service ESC" message but the ABS light will be off.

Changing the front hubs doesn't preclude any of the other possible causes or wiring issues. The rear wheel speed sensors could cause the same issues.
Best bet is to read the codes from the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module).
My wife's Aura (08 3.5l) had this after a tire change. I read on another thread that it could be dirty speed sensors. I took the car to a car wash with the pressure wand. I used the wand on soap mode and sprayed both wheels and made about three passes. I then used the rinse setting, I made another three passes. It took about 2 two and a half days, but the traction control message went away. I hope this can help someone.
cesssnaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:10 AM   #25
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

cesssnaa
My Aura still throws only the "Service ESC" after replacing both front wheel bearings but only at low temperatures. It goes all spring, summer and fall with out error.
I read that you are supposed to re calibrate the steering angle sensor after an alignment so it likely applies to changing tires too.
Did you also get the "Service Traction" message and ABS light?
This is what the guts of the old front wheel bearings reluctor ring looked like...with the speed sensor ring removed.
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #26
sedan466
sedan466 is on a distinguished road

My 07 Aura XR with the 3.6 VVT has been in the chevy dealer shop twice
They are milking me...badly!

Blows a fuse when put in drive and shakes violently
Dealer found wiring harness has been eaten by mice so it shorts outside the
harness. Plugs 1-3-5 are firing ok on the harness, 2-4-6 are not firing at all
Any suggestions or where can I get a new harness???
Maybe the problem will go away?

Last edited by sedan466; 06-27-2021 at 12:34 PM. Reason: details missing
sedan466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #27
krisko76651
krisko76651 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

How does one TURN THE ABS back on? Local shop turned it off, no codes.
krisko76651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:37 PM   #28
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

krisko76651, normal abs is always on standby. The only way to know if abs is on standby occurs immediately after turning the ignition key to ON/RUN. If you noticed, at ignition on time all indicators in the instrument panel turn on for a few seconds then turns off leaving battery, brake, oil and seat belt indicators on if the engine isn't started. This is the lamp test is performed every time ignition is turned on. Look for the abs indicator, usually in red. Your owner's manual should have a drawing of indicators in the instrument panel. The abs indicator should turn on then off. In normal operation, the abs indicator turning on then off also tells you the abs module is performing system self tests of all wheel speed sensors, wiring and module. In the time the indicator cycles on and off before or during engine startup, the abs unit performs self tests and if initial tests pass, the indicator turns off. If self tests fail then the indicator remains on and an error code is generated. Most generic readers aren't capable of reading abs error codes. AutoZone and maybe other auto parts stores offering free reader services have updated readers capable of reading abs error codes. GM dealers and brake shops are the alternatives. Call ahead and ask first.

If your abs indicator doesn't cycle on and off during lamp tests, if you have your owner's manual, review the fuse panel diagrams. The fuse panel cover should have embossed labeling to show fuse size and what they power. There should be at least one or more ABS fuses in the engine fuse box. Abs is completely separate from the engine and xmission electronics, with its own computer so power is fed thru a fuse or fuses. My L300 has two 30 amp fuses feeding the abs module. I presume most if not all abs units use similar large fuses. Large fuses are conspicuous and labeled with fuse amperage capacity. Abs is not required for braking because it has always been considered an enhancement to braking. If abs fails, it will not affect the basic braking system. Before abs, brakes can lockup. Abs prevents brakes from locking up and allows steering but in most circumstances, increased braking distances occur due to abs balancing between applying full braking while controlling the tendency of one or more brakes locking up by releasing brake pressure to those brakes on the verge of locking up then reapplying brake pressure from its self contained motor. Most recognize abs activation as the brake pedal foot massage during hard or panic stopping. Wheel speed sensors tells the abs electronics which brakes are slowing down faster than the others to determine which brake will lock up.

It's possible for unscrupulous repair shops to remove abs fuses to disable abs completely. This action turns off the abs indicator instead of attempting to decode an abs error that turned on the abs indicator.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote