SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 10-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #1
Heehaw80
Heehaw80 is on a distinguished road

Default ABS trouble with codes

hey all, hope someone can shed some light on my ABS issue, I have a 2000 SL2 twin cam auto, ABS odes are C0035,C0040,C0045,C0046 and C0047, this what I did so far, replaced both front speed sensors, did a continuity test and voltage test at all four wheels and continuity is within spec and voltage is 4.9-4.7, if I pull the abs fuse and plug it back in the abs pump will cycle. thanks in advanced!!! I don't need abs to drive i just want to get the light off and if the car lasts another 2 years keep it safe for a starter for my daughter!!
Heehaw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2021, 02:18 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: ABS trouble with codes

Initial search returns these definitions from https://www.troublecodes.net.
C0035 – Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Supply (Subfault)

C0040 – Brake Pedal Switch “A” (Subfault)

C0045 – Brake Pressure Sensor “B” (Subfault)

C0046 – Brake Pressure Sensor “A”/”B” (Subfault)

C0047 – Brake Booster Pressure Sensor (Subfault)

Replacing the front wheel speed sensors only addresses possible sensor failures. You haven't eliminated wiring to each sensor or each wheel reluctor, the toothed ring the sensors use to detect whee rotation.

The other error codes points to a brake switch fault and brake pressure sensors. You may have to visually examine everything for a clue and/or ensure your main electrical system is operating; battery at 12.5vdc, 14.5vdc with engine idling for alternator output and the drive belt/belt tensioner are tight, not flopping leading to lower alternator output that outputs lower operating voltages the abs system doesn't like by popping error codes.

The last option is removing abs fuses to disable abs operation altogether. This doesn't alter the basic hydraulic brake system and vacuum brake power assist. Old school braking before abs became standard to assist in emergency braking by allowing steering. It's neve been discussed openly but the fact remains that abs braking lengthens braking distance on less than glass smooth surfaces - dirt, pebbles, stones, bits of tire tread, gravel, rain, snow, ice, etc. If not given enough spacing, abs may result in steering away from a crash into another obstacle never anticipated, with a crash into something else. Before abs, emergency stopping results in locking up one or more wheels with very little steering control. Abs braking allows steering into a different crash unless entirely avoided. Longer braking distances should be expected with abs braking, not less in real world driving conditions.

Last edited by fdryer; 10-05-2021 at 02:28 PM.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

AllData says C0040 is RF speed sensor circuit.

AllData says they're all speed sensor circuit issues and all on the left side except the right front.

If the circuits aren't shorted together, shorted to ground, shorted to the battery and you have *good* continuity from one end to the other then it's the ABS module (EBCM). I'd suspect mice have gotten to the wires near the EBCM before blaming it but I'm not there checking things.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:13 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I wasn't sure of third party code definitions and did see other sites with different definitions. It's nice having Alldata or Mitchell for accurate info.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:51 AM   #5
Heehaw80

That's why I'm asking on here because every time I looked up the codes depending on the site I'd get a different definition of what the codes mean!!! I examined the front reluctor wheels (no damage or cracks) the sensors are universal so I swapped sides clear codes and the codes come back the same, there was a few ground wires broke off so I fixed them, cleared codes and they come back same, it has drum brakes so as for the rear sensors other then checking continuity you can't inspect the sensor without destroying it. soon as I turn the key on and start the engine the abs light goes off and right back on since this started a year ago.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:27 AM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Was any work done in and around the abs unit next to the master brake cylinder? Connections to the abs unit look intact, undisturbed?
Old 10-07-2021, 09:11 PM   #7
Heehaw80

when I was chasing grounds I unplugged the abs pump and checked the pins for the normal green, bent, missing and everything looked good, like I said when I pull the abs fuse and plug it back in the pump does cycle once for a few seconds(key on and/or engine running).