SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 10-02-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is just really niceChaz9496 is just really niceChaz9496 is just really niceChaz9496 is just really nice

2002 SL2
2002 SL2
Default Starter Location 2000 LS2

I'm having trouble finding anything on this. I'm having a No Crank issue with my LS2 3.0. I have to tap on the starter to get it to turn over. Here's the the issue. I can't for the life of me find the starter on this to remove it and have it bench tested. I have a new one just in case it's bad. Now I have to find it. As I said, I can see part of it from above just enough to tap it with my long breaker bar. I broke out my Chiltons manual and it shows all you do is remove the right wheel and you have access to it. That's all there is to it ? I find that hard to believe as buried as it is. The 2.2 is easy. I got it up in the air and went under it and still couldn't find it. I need to check connections, then if no good, have it tested. Need some advise. Thanks.
Chaz9496 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #2
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Starter Location 2000 LS2

By removing the right wheel side passenger wheel you will see the starter. It's on the backside of the engine in front of the firewall. That's the location of it. By removing the wheel you will see the starter location and also the alternator as well. It's not easy to take out the starter or Alternator as that is a hard to access location. The 2.2 isn't the same engine is takes up less space that why it's easy to get to it. V6 and I4 aren't the same design setup nor hardware swap.

Last edited by Russet; 10-02-2021 at 02:22 PM. Reason: revise
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:15 PM   #3
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is just really niceChaz9496 is just really niceChaz9496 is just really niceChaz9496 is just really nice

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

A friend of mine found it right away using a flashlight from the passenger side. If the starter activates, bench testing would be no good because it would test good as long as it engages is the problem. Now since I got it going by tapping it last night, it's working, for now. I'm keeping the breaker bar with me just in case it desides to do it again.
Chaz9496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:54 PM   #4
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

If tapping it with an extension made it work, replace it. Donít waste time and money having it tested, you diagnosed it with the extension. Now the fun part, getting to it in an L300.
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:04 AM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
If tapping it with an extension made it work, replace it. Don’t waste time and money having it tested, you diagnosed it with the extension...
^I could not agree more! This is a "dead give-away" that the starter needs to be replaced. You can rest assured that this starter will fail again, and there is no such thing as an opportune moment for when that event occurs. Take care of this asap. You'll be happier for having not delayed this repair
361K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:43 AM   #6
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Starter Location 2000 LS2(the old starter trick)

hi pierrot and brutha sages- that is a good dianosis i believe. have diagnosed and replaced a number of starters over the years. what typically fails in a starter is the solenoid which when the ignition switches to start position,it leverages the sliding gear on the armature or driven gear shaft onto the ring gear of the flywheel. simultaneously it also actuates the high battery current contactors to turn the flywheel and start the engine. the solenoid can fail in a number of ways but the bottom line is the starter needs to be replaced. back when we were all poor you would just replace the solenoid on top of or inside the starter nose. fords , chevrolets and dodges with straight 6s were like this but that was when starter removal was easy and accessible. dealer shops and even indies probably wont do that job today. bet they would soak you $600- $900 to replace the starter. on the L 4cyl it looks more accessible/ doable . is anything easy to replace on the L V6? a V6 owner told me the only easy change
left is your attitude. what think? a joker told me car shield is the answer. thanks tons bob f
rfisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
If tapping it with an extension made it work, replace it. Donít waste time and money having it tested, you diagnosed it with the extension.....
Most likely the best advice here after eliminating battery and wiring.

Quote:
rfisher is anything easy to replace on the L V6?
Draining oil only. The cabin filter is second. I use 'words' during every repair whether its routine maintenance or major repairs. My last major ongoing repair resulted in scratches, on both arms and breaking out in a severe rash. Used prescription ointment and scheduled a doctor visit to determine whether its coincidence working under the hood or my skin condition acting up. As the saying goes, you don't know where the car's been, driving everywhere and picking up who knows what.......
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:11 PM   #8
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

interesting comment fd. probably right. cabin air filter in my 4 cyl L is a pain in the keaster. its under a flimsy plastic door on the fire wall. popping it up cracked the cover so i will have to glue it with seal all in a tube(only glue ive found that works most of the time), but wait isnt the oil filter hellacious to remove on the V6? was difficult on the 4 until i bought a special socket to oust the plastic screw on cap. as to "words" employed during saturn repairs, i find that it actually helps. those adjectives about the muthas of the engineers who designed these cars ,when used, certainly clears your sinuses and trachea allowing more oxygen in and smartening your cerebrum. what think? bob f
rfisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:06 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you read between the lines of "Draining oil only", you might have noticed I left out oil filter. Not easy at all with very little room for either an adapter and 3/8" ratchet with a very short swing arc/few clicks of movement or worse, using an open or box wrench with the same few angles of movement. As far as I know, only from under the engine. In other words, a real PITA.

L300s use a wide cabin filter, perhaps the same as L200s with replacement in the middle of the firewall with a discrete plastic flap pried open to reveal the filter. My flap hinge split partway from repeated filter replacement. It's working for now and I haven't given it any real thought for a solution yet. Since its purpose is to shield the filter from water, snow, hail and dirt, the hinged part that split isn't opened enough for concern yet. Perhaps a semi plastic hinge can be made and riveted or hot glued onto the firewall top plastic for a new hinge. This would probably require slitting the rest of the hinge apart. Hot glue may break away in snow temperatures.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:27 PM   #10
lrbraner
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I dont find the V-6 to be especially hard to change the oil and filter.
The thermostat is a different story.
2002 L300 Sedan
2003 LW300 Wagon
2005 L300 Sedan
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote