SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 09-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #1
ineed
ineed is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR
Question 09 Aura lotta issues. What should I do?

Bought my 09 used Aura about a year ago. Car had salvage title with only 70,000 miles for $5,000 cash. I had the car about 2 months and without any warning signs transmission goes out it wouldn't go past 1st gear. Checked the fluid and it was bone dry. The only thing is I never noticed any leakage spots. Had it towed in and of course needs a new transmission which had to be built so thats another $4,000. After that car ran great until back in March 2021 when a huge rain hit and I decide to cross through some water over the road. I made it but barley it almost bogged down. I get a little father down the road and a tree is blocking the road which causes me to have to turn around. Being scared I sat for a lil while debating weather to chance it a second time. One bad decision later my car dies and right in the middle of the water. I tried to start it and nothing. So I had to leave it set there for I'd say 12 hours in water up to the side view mirrors all the way around the car. It made the front page of the paper it was so bad. Figuring there was just no hope it set for a month before draining the fluids out and it was full of water. Took it to a shop thinking it was done for they give me call next day its running. But it sounded like idk what, heat and air, tail lights, gage cluster, and the horn didn't work. Ordered used cluster, fixed that. You could also feel the transmission slipping a lil especially goin up a hill. I had to go out of town for a few months just got back last week. Then one day I noticed some light smoke coming out of tail pipe. Checked fluids and it was bone dry on transmisson fluid so I about 4 quarts in to hold it over til I can have someone to look at it. Where is the fluid going no spots and its been setting? Still no tail lights and we have checked fuses and lights. Heat and air still not working either. The one who worked on it last said that it was just a disaster waiting to happen. Not a question of if it will tear up just of when. So I'm pretty sure that I should try and do something with it before it kicks the bucket and I'm stuck without a ride. Think it would be worth trying to fix since I already have so much in it or best to get rid of it and get another?
ineed is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2021, 02:18 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 09 Aura lotta issues. What should I do?

I think you bought a flooded salvage car with risks in attempting to return it back to running condition and found out why its a salvage car. Some states forbid salvage vehicles from getting registered because of extensive damage the insurance companies wrote off as too expensive to repair thus the salvage title. This renders it as a wholesale parts vehicle, sometimes making more money in parting out than repairing it.

When hurricane Katrina hit the south, every flood vehicle was written off as salvage, not to return to the roads. I expected many unscrupulous shade tree dealers and individuals to attempt making minimum repairs in hopes of selling for a profit as owners eventually find out why their new used vehicles suddenly gives unusual problems. Fortunately this didn't occur to flood the market with flood vehicles and unsuspecting buyers oblivious to salvage titles.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote