SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 07-24-2021, 03:54 PM   #1
Lcaperell
Lcaperell is on a distinguished road

Default Serious Bogging issues

Hey guys I'm having an issue with my 2002 s series. Serious Bogging down when going up hill. I have to seriously punch the gas to keep from slowing to a crawl!! What could be causing this and what can I do to improve the performance?
Lcaperell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2021, 04:04 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Serious Bogging issues

The two most likely problems are a burned valve causing loss of compression, or a catalytic converter being plugged or disintegrating and raising back-pressure in the exhaust. Easiest to check is compression, do that first.

If you have live-data, check ECT, MAP, and for knock-retard of the spark. Do that even before checking compression.

Are you sure the brakes are not dragging, will the car coast (out of gear) reasonably well?

Did this problem happen suddenly?
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:16 PM   #3
Lcaperell

I'm an amature at car mechanics. I know a bit about the usual stuff but not about transmission issues. It coasts no problem. Brakes don't seem to be dragging. It happens mostly when ac is on so I have to turn it off to go up hills!! I thought maybe I might need a valve body change but like I said I'm a novice at these things not to mention this is the first Saturn I've owned. I recently replaced the coolant temp sensor, throttle position sensor, intake manifold sensor and fuel injector cylinder 1. I'm now getting a code for the transmission fluid temperature sensor. Could that be the issue?
Old 07-26-2021, 09:19 PM   #4
Lcaperell

I'm an amature at car mechanics. I know a bit about the usual stuff but not about transmission issues. It coasts no problem. Brakes don't seem to be dragging. It happens mostly when ac is on so I have to turn it off to go up hills!! I thought maybe I might need a valve body change but like I said I'm a novice at these things not to mention this is the first Saturn I've owned. I recently replaced the coolant temp sensor, throttle position sensor, intake manifold gasket and fuel injector cylinder 1. I'm now getting a code for the transmission fluid temperature sensor. Could that be the issue? Also it seems to idle high when I'm sitting or parked on occasion.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:07 PM   #5
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Is your car the 2002 SC1 (SOHC)or SC2 DOHC)?
And how serious are these hills you need to climb up?
If it's the low HP SOHC engine, and its a steep or long hill climb, then YES, you might just have to turn the AC off just to get up the hill. The DOHC engine has more oomph it the hill is not too bad.
OR as Billr suggested, check compression or your catalytic converter has gotten plugged....but usually, a plugged converter acts up at all acceleration times, not just hills...
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:08 PM   #6
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

No, it is unlikely that the trans temp sensor, or anything else related to the trans, is the problem here.

You need to do the two simple checks I mentioned above: Check sensors with live-data (easy way) or voltmeter (hard way). And check compression (easy to do). If those two investigations don't show anything wrong, then we move on to a bit more difficult tests; like fuel pressure and exhaust back-pressure.

Really, though, you need to respond to questions asked. Did this problem come on suddenly? You should be able to answer that with no mechanical experience/skills.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:32 AM   #7
Lcaperell

Sorry no the problem didn't come on suddenly, have only had the car going on a months time.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:06 PM   #8
billr
Master Member

Clarify: Did the problem come on slowly, during the month you have had the car; or has it been this way ever since you acquired it?
Old 07-28-2021, 10:34 PM   #9
Lcaperell

It's been that way since I bought it.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:09 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When did you buy it and what's mileage on this car? Rather than play twenty questions, it's better to describe any and all history of this car including any maintenance performed so anyone here has a perspective of what your dealing with. It's too easy to guess with little information given.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:23 PM   #11
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

The simplest question has not been answered.
Is this the SOHC (SC1/SL1/SW1) or DOHC engine (SC2/SL2/SW2)?
Old 07-30-2021, 06:32 PM   #12
Lcaperell

Bought the car a month ago. Posted what has been replaced in first message
Old 07-30-2021, 07:33 PM   #13
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

No, I am simply asking which model you have.
the SOHC single overhead cam has a whole lot less horsepower to climb hills than does the DOHC dual overhead cam engine.
It make a great difference which model/engine you own and operate.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:01 AM   #14
Lcaperell

Sl1 I have tried to post this 4 times now
Old 07-31-2021, 10:21 AM   #15
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

Then my friend, seeing that your car has 100 hp, and the SL2 has 124, it then should not be unusual to turn off the AC to climb up hills.
That low horsepower engine just can't hit inclines well and have the AC pulling its power way down.
If your car functions fine on straightaway roads with the AC on, then the answer is that your car is just too underpowered to handle that hill.
Punch the AC OFF, choose to live with the problem, or by an SL2 with more HP.
But, if you are heading up severe angle hills or long uphill grades, even the SL2 will have some troubles.

PS: throwing parts at this type of problem will not ever solve this trouble, unless you replace your SOHC engine with a DOHC engine.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:41 AM   #16
DevinPotter
DevinPotter is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1

I agree with toggenburg I have a 1998 saturn sl SOHC auto 290k miles basic cheap model and I have to turn off my AC to get up some hills also sometime to cross a busy road I turn off AC to get thru faster or even passing someone
DevinPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:43 AM   #17
billr
Master Member

What problems (symptom, error-messages) are you getting from the unsuccessful posts?

I'm still not understanding if this power issue is due to the relatively low normal power of an S-series (either SOHC or DOHC), or a poorly performing engine.

How steep are these hills? Describe by location, % as posted, elevation change/mile, something. Maybe we can guess better as to how well the SOHC with auto should be able to handle them.

Can you take a test drive (used car lot, friend, etc) of a similar SOHC/auto car for comparison? Post where you are located, maybe some kind soul here is located close enough to let you try their car, or be familiar with these hills you are talking about.

If there is no more definitive determination as to whether your power is normal, then we are back to checking basic sensor readings and taking compression; then on to checking fuel pressure and exhaust back-pressure.

You have already indicated that the car seems to coast OK in neutral, so I am dismissing dragging brakes (or other excess friction/resistance)... for now.