saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 03-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #21
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

Default Re: P065E code coming up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Interesting to note. I've noticed a marginal decline in performance, mostly attribute it to Winter gas.

Can you say where you got the sensors, seem like a good price.
Four years ago I got mine shopping around the various GM mega online dealer parts departments. I hunted and hunted to get a good price for the OEM ones, P/N 555567050, which I believe were the only ones available at the time. Looking at Rock Auto today, there are aftermarket ones galore, from SKP, P/N SK91006 at $18.48 in price, to WVE/Airtex/Wells, P/N 2T1017, at $58.79 a piece. Shipping not included. Online the average SKP is around $35 each shipped. Looks these fit the Chevy Sonic too.
PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #22
masonhills
masonhills is on a distinguished road

I'm in a similar boat to the original thread. P065E code, have done all of the cleaning steps, but haven't looked for a vacuum leak. How would you test for a vacuum leak?

Ill also note that I notice no loss of power, fuel mileage is right as it should be (8.5L/100km), car idles well (just under 1000rpm), and no strange noise or anything worrisome. Just that damn code and a CEL.

I plan to get to the bottom of this and will go as far as removing the intake manifold to see if anything is amiss. I will include updates along the way. If anyone else has any further updates, I would be happy to hear them, thanks.
masonhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #23
ProOpel
ProOpel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonhills View Post
I'm in a similar boat to the original thread. P065E code, have done all of the cleaning steps, but haven't looked for a vacuum leak. How would you test for a vacuum leak?

Ill also note that I notice no loss of power, fuel mileage is right as it should be (8.5L/100km), car idles well (just under 1000rpm), and no strange noise or anything worrisome. Just that damn code and a CEL.

I plan to get to the bottom of this and will go as far as removing the intake manifold to see if anything is amiss. I will include updates along the way. If anyone else has any further updates, I would be happy to hear them, thanks.
If you want to do it yourself, you'll need an EVAP machine like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174768594084

there are cheaper ones, and some going for 20 bucks, but those are junk (tried one that you plug a cigar to and pump it manually, but it just didn't have enough pressure).

It may be cheaper to pay a shop to do an EVAP for you, however it's nice to have one of these things around for future tests. I'm also having problems with other codes and underperformance etc. Car still runs and drives, but hesitates at times.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
Side skirts
SRi top spoiler
SRi rear bumper skirt
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:06 PM   #24
masonhills

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProOpel View Post
If you want to do it yourself, you'll need an EVAP machine like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174768594084

there are cheaper ones, and some going for 20 bucks, but those are junk (tried one that you plug a cigar to and pump it manually, but it just didn't have enough pressure).

It may be cheaper to pay a shop to do an EVAP for you, however it's nice to have one of these things around for future tests. I'm also having problems with other codes and underperformance etc. Car still runs and drives, but hesitates at times.
That's good to know! I have a few mechanic friends and will ask around if anyone has one of these devices. I just found an exhaust leak at my Flexi pipe from doing a seafoam treatment. Not sure how long it's been there or if it could be related to the code, but that will be fixed this week.

I will continue to post updates and share the secret sauce when I find it!

2009 Saturn Astra XR
5 door, 5 speed manual
96,000km
Old 07-05-2021, 08:45 AM   #25
ProOpel

Quote:
That's good to know! I have a few mechanic friends and will ask around if anyone has one of these devices. I just found an exhaust leak at my Flexi pipe from doing a seafoam treatment. Not sure how long it's been there or if it could be related to the code, but that will be fixed this week.

I will continue to post updates and share the secret sauce when I find it!

2009 Saturn Astra XR
5 door, 5 speed manual
96,000km
I think that may very well be the issue you're having! The flex pipe is very prone to break. I'm replacing mine as preventantive maintenance.

Was the seafom dripping from the upper connection or middle of the flex pipe?
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Side skirts
SRi top spoiler
SRi rear bumper skirt
Old 07-05-2021, 12:20 PM   #26
masonhills

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProOpel View Post
I think that may very well be the issue you're having! The flex pipe is very prone to break. I'm replacing mine as preventantive maintenance.

Was the seafom dripping from the upper connection or middle of the flex pipe?
I didn't actually notice where the seafoam was dripping from so much as all the white smoke coming out the side of my car instead of out the tail pipe. By the time I climbed under and looked at it there was no dripping, but there's a huge split where the flex pipe connects to the pipe towards the back of the car. I've ordered an entire new front pipe assembly to replace it with.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #27
masonhills

So I threw my obd scanner on today, just for ****s, and the code has changed slightly. It still comes up P065E but where before it said pending as well as “intake manifold tuning valve performance bank 1”, it now says confirmed and “intake manifold air control actuator bank 1”.

I also had 2 new codes stating “heated oxygen sensor” and “system too rich”. Hoping when I fix the exhaust this week it solves at least one of these.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:44 PM   #28
ProOpel

Quote:
So I threw my obd scanner on today, just for ****s, and the code has changed slightly. It still comes up P065E but where before it said pending as well as “intake manifold tuning valve performance bank 1”, it now says confirmed and “intake manifold air control actuator bank 1”.

I also had 2 new codes stating “heated oxygen sensor” and “system too rich”. Hoping when I fix the exhaust this week it solves at least one of these.
Let us know how it goes! I found a flex pipe on ebay for around 70 bucks, and I'm planning to get it. Mine doesn't smoke or anything, but these things are so prone to break.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Side skirts
SRi top spoiler
SRi rear bumper skirt
Old 07-31-2021, 10:01 AM   #29
masonhills

Ok so. I have replaced my flex pipe assembly, from the flange just back of the cat, back to the second resonator.
All three codes are still present. P065E, P0141, and P2096.
Also after getting this new flex pipe installed I noticed a severe lack in power and it felt like the engine was working twice as hard, as well as my fuel economy went from 8.5l/100km to 10l/100km.
I’ve since deleted my muffler to see if that would free things up a bit and it has helped the feel while driving, but my fuel economy is still up.

Next thing I guess I will look at is the O2 sensor since it’s malfunctioning could be causing my lean fuel trim code.

Still not sure about the P065E code at this point
Old 08-05-2021, 04:22 PM   #30
masonhills

So after playing with the o2 sensor connectors both of the new codes have gone away. Now just back to solving the P065E