SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 06-14-2019, 10:39 PM   #1
Trinity5
Trinity5 is on a distinguished road

Default Alternator Amps.

I need to replace my Alt. OEM Alternator Part #19152474. 1997 SW2 116CU DOHC. Threads say stock is 96 amps but OEM states 105. Does it matter ?? Also I believe I have a square socket. Can anyone confirm these specs. Thank you so much.
Trinity5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2019, 12:25 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Alternator Amps.

The ratings change over the years due to technological advances. The 105a has a fan and the 96a does not and these are the 97 vintage ratings.

What you have to figure out is this: is there a fan on the front of the alternator just behind the pulley or not? Top row first 2 alternators, one has a fan and one does not. You want the one that matches your present alternator then everything fits. https://www.dbelectrical.com/alterna...ive/saturn/sw/ This is also the best place to buy one. They also list on eBay.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #3
Trinity5

OK, I just looked at the alt. It has a small fan behind the pulley. The website for DB Electrical and they have one that they state fits the 1997 Saturn but it is a 105 amp. and it has the fan behind the pulley. Will this one be ok ? Thank you for the help.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

More amps is more better lol

Sounds like you can use the good '91-'96 style alternator, it has better cooling and more stock output than the '98-'02 style.

The exact amperage doesn't matter too much, it can change with the testing RPM though the earlier style by all accounts (96-105a) puts out 5-10 more amps than the later style (85-90a).

Napa used to list the VIN for the changeover (they might still but I hate their web interface), I believe it equated to a December/January timeframe for the '97 model year.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
Trinity5

Thank you. I feel better about buying it now. Hopefully it won't take me all day to install.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Watch this video and pay veery careful attention on which way to turn it. The one with the fan is larger than the one without the fan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iogtiYraHCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdhCzA0NcDQ

Do not over tighten the alternator output battery terminal nut.

Disconnect the battery negative before starting the remove-replace project.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity5 View Post
OK, I just looked at the alt. It has a small fan behind the pulley. The website for DB Electrical and they have one that they state fits the 1997 Saturn but it is a 105 amp. and it has the fan behind the pulley. Will this one be ok ? Thank you for the help.
Either amperage will work just fine. Amperage is the RATE of charging. Higher Amps = Faster charging of battery/more load capacity of electrical systems

It also translates to more heat energy given off, which is why it has a small fan behind the pulley.

As a general rule of thumb: You want the highest amperage available, when replacing an alternator.
"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You do not want to attempt to install an incorrect alternator into a 97 as it is going to cost you about 20.00 to get it operating correctly. There are exactly 2 different alternators, they look different, just match your installed alternator to the correct picture.

If this is still confusing just take a properly focused and composed of the front of your alternator and post it here.

It is a 50/50 chance any parts store will sell you the wrong one for at least 2X the DB Electric price.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:35 PM   #9
Trinity5

Installed the alternator today and the car is back to running like a champ.
I bought a new one at: DB Electrical, Item Number: 8215 (dbelectrical.com)

It was $55.00, no core charge and free shipping. It also was a spot on exact match for my 1997 S series. My alt has the fan on it and a square plug.

Installation is pretty straight forward and if I did not run into a cross threaded bolt I had to saw off, this would have taken me about an hour, maybe less.