SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 08-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
Khalle
Khalle is on a distinguished road

Wrench 2002 Vue 3.0 AWD starting hard

This Vue has about 65,000 miles on it. About a month ago, started blowing a white smoke on start up only but we didn't worry about it too much. A week ago, it died while driving down the road, then started hard. Since then, it starts hard about 50% of the time (takes 2-3 cranks to get it to go). Doesn't matter if it has been sitting for a few hours, or was just running. Changed fuel filter, but that almost seemed to make it worse. Any thoughts? Fuel pump? Any way to test for that first before actual replacement? Anything else it might be? Intake manifold relief valve? Thanks!!
Khalle is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 Vue 3.0 AWD starting hard

White smoke may be a sign of a coolant issue so let's hope it isn't. Has the coolant reservoir suddenly dropped?

A tentative fuel pressure check is easy; turn the ignition to the ON/RUN position and listen for the faint sounds of the fuel pump running for 2-3 seconds, locate the fuel test valve (capped and resembling the tire valve) on the chrome plated fuel rail, remove the black cap to expose the schrader valve, cover loosely with a rag and press on the valve stem. There should be a healthy spray of fuel coming out to indicate fuel and pressure available to the injectors. No fuel or a dribble would mean a fuel issue. Its not likely to be a fuel issue. We have a resident member that may have more information.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Khalle ... to set the stage ... I don't have a 3.0 engine ... I'm sure the smarter folks will be along later.

White smoke? Does it smell like burning oil? Engine might be too young for it to be internal oil. How about the PVC system? All the hoses clean and connected?

Could also be injectors are leaking fuel into cylinder with engine off. Might explain the lack of fuel for rapid starts. You could check for fuel at the rail with a gage (or vent some fuel ... ignition OFF, key in pocket, safety glasses, rubber gloves, kid(s) and dog(s) standing well back, significant other with extinguisher, engine cold and lots of rags to catch).

The pressure could be 50 to 60 pounds if the check-valve and injectors are operating correctly. The valve is near the fuel pump (yes, in the tank). I pasted an extract below.

FSM Extract: The primary fuel tank module contains a reverse flow check valve. The check valve and the fuel pressure regulator maintain fuel pressure in the fuel feed pipe and the fuel rail in order to prevent long cranking times.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

fdryer ... sir ...once again you were posting while I was composing ... you are one of the smarter folks I was referring to.

Khalle ... you may disregard my response.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Oh no you don't!? Contributing essential information is just as valuable as dispensing/sharing some acquired information that may help here. The collective wealth is being shared freely for almost everyone willing to ask and seek help. Any suggestions put forth can sometimes provoke one into recalling small tidbits to offer. We're all a piece of the puzzle.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Khalle

Happy Re: 2002 Vue 3.0 AWD starting hard

Suddenly, the Vue wouldn't start at all this afternoon. Noticed that the relay for the rear wiper motor is identical to the fuel pump relay -- swapped them out, and now the car starts beautifully! Could it be that simple? Certainly hope so -- and will keep you posted!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalle View Post
Suddenly, the Vue wouldn't start at all this afternoon. Noticed that the relay for the rear wiper motor is identical to the fuel pump relay -- swapped them out, and now the car starts beautifully! Could it be that simple? Certainly hope so -- and will keep you posted!
So let me see if I understand this ... you'd rather have a vehicle that starts and runs as opposed to an operational rear window wiper?

Khalle, whats wrong with you?

This reminds me of me this weekend ... one of son's came by with his 02 Corolla complaining the A/C wasn't working (yes Toyota fans - they are fallible). I jumped the compressor clutch to the battery and it cooled like crazy. We then pulled and replaced compressor relay with one from the daytime running lights. The A/C continued to run and so did the DRL.

His question - can you find a different relay so the DRL won't quit?

Oh boy ... I sent him on down to Advance Auto Parts with my credit card.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
Khalle

Sure enough, a $9 relay did the trick (at least so far) -- this is a very easy and inexpensive thing to check -- so for anyone having trouble starting your car, you might want to try replacing the fuel pump relay first. I guess ours was going bad, causing the fuel pump to stop working at random times. It's when it finally went for good that we figured it out. So glad that we tried this before replacing a fuel pump to the tune of hundreds! Thanks for all your help -- this is a great forum!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #9
linx3566
linx3566 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Green Line

I did not contribute but glad to know that a $9.00 part fixed your problem. Also adds to our data base of knowledge for future reference. Good job and thanks for sharing.
linx3566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Great, but do monitor oil level and coolant level in the surge tank. Make sure its lower on a cold engine and about 1/2" or more higher on a hot engine. Mark the cold level with a Sharpie and check it cold frequently for a few days to make sure its not dropping. Failure of the coolant level to change from cold to hot and vice versa indicates the cooling system is not sealed, and coolant level could get dangerously low in the engine/radiator while looking fine in the surge tank. This is all about the white smoke on start-up, which has nothing to do with the fuel pump not working. Typically, white smoke on start results from oil leaking into the cylinders from bad valve guides during a hot soak. It leaks all the time, but so little that you don't notice the smoke until it has a chance to accumulate after shutting off the hot engine and letting it 'soak' overnight. It could also be from burning coolant, such as with a bad head gasket.
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote