SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 05-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #21
solidhadriel
solidhadriel is on a distinguished road

Default Re: WHY is everybody hating on Saturn??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Just wait............... when gas goes to $4/gal. Anyone remember when gas hit $4/gal? In NYC, newscasts interviewed suv owners crying about fill ups costing them $$$ and within a few weeks there was a sudden trade-in for cars............... with better fuel economy. Politics will determine whether we have a repeat of what occurred in the past. "Those ignoring the past are doomed to repeat it."
What do you mean *when*? Over here its gotten closer to $5 that it has $4.
1998 Saturn SC1 - 285k Miles | 5-Speed Manual
1999 Saturn SW2 - 172k Miles | Auto | The new DD
2014 Mustang GT - Garage Queen...sort of
solidhadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #22
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Sorry but where's "here"? NYC regular gas is now hovering close to $4/gal.

Are you hearing/reading/seeing suv owners crying yet? When this occurred a few years ago here in NYC, I likened this scenario as similar to the 'canary bird in the mine' where deadly gases killed canaries placed in strategic places throughout mines as gas detectors. When they croaked, miners ran.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #23
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

Amen fdryer. I've never understood the mentality that causes people to make a large investment for a vehicle without considering long-term fuel economy knowing the history of price spikes since the 1970s and the fact that fossil fuels are a finite resource... wasting now contributes to future price spikes and shortages. Yet if the price were to drop again, lots of people would go out and buy large gas guzzlers again as if history never happened.

But relevant to our discussion, I think it makes the S-series even more attractive as a car now.
Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 219,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #24
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

The only thing I really don't like about higher gas prices is the fact Saturns' prices go up a little.

I had a friend who has a Honda Accord coupe, and she was telling me I should look at replacing my little Satty because it has too many miles. I, of course, didn't heed, since the little thing is running beautifully (aside from a rattling A/C compressor ).

Last week, her Honda Accord's auto tranny went out at 120,000 miles. Cost to replace? $3600. Car value? $3800. I'll keep my Saturn, thanks.
1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Syracuse":165,000 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally": 307,100+ miles
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #25
blackbeard
blackbeard is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1

Over here gas is around 4.30 a gallon.
Murica!
The only difference between an idiot's arguement and a knife is that the knife has a point.
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #26
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ The Right coast is a little slower with raising gasoline prices () and besides, you have Teslas. We don't. If we did, I would imagine someone stealing it and tapping the city lamp posts for free electricity......... The politicians are in DC and may not like paying higher gas prices..............
VCX NANO
Old 05-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #27
Tyler12189
Tyler12189 is just really niceTyler12189 is just really niceTyler12189 is just really niceTyler12189 is just really nice

1998 SL2
Thumbs Up Re: WHY is everybody hating on Saturn??

People are idiots lol. I LOVE those comparison picures of 1991 cars thats great. Saturn kicked ass in appearence back then. Im not huge on most of the SC versions but i love the SL and most of the ION. The gas mileage and solid body is enough to get me interested. **** the haters
Tyler12189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #28
solidhadriel
solidhadriel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry but where's "here"? NYC regular gas is now hovering close to $4/gal.

Are you hearing/reading/seeing suv owners crying yet? When this occurred a few years ago here in NYC, I likened this scenario as similar to the 'canary bird in the mine' where deadly gases killed canaries placed in strategic places throughout mines as gas detectors. When they croaked, miners ran.
The opposite coast - Southern Cali.
1998 Saturn SC1 - 285k Miles | 5-Speed Manual
1999 Saturn SW2 - 172k Miles | Auto | The new DD
2014 Mustang GT - Garage Queen...sort of
solidhadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:10 AM   #29
spacemanspif
Advanced Member
spacemanspif will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

"I will always look back with fond memories of my Rotary Rocket. But when I think back about the best purchase I have ever made, it will be that little Saturn."

^Smartest and ONLY thing worth reading in that whole article. Author is a total moron and someone who clearly jumped on the Japanese bandwagon years ago and thinks anything from America is garbage. Point proven by comparing similar year Honda and Toyota to our Saturn.
-Mike

1995 SL2 5spd - Stock/MP2 trans swap - 258,XXX miles - 38mpg @ 65mph
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.92@103mph - 19mpg @65mph - needs POSI
spacemanspif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #30
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Well, I know why a dozen or so drivers hate Saturn. I lost a few cups of P/S fluid on the expressway due to a loose lower pinion seal (I think). When I installed it, it was not tight in the bore. (Did I install / remove from the last rack I rebuilt?? can't remember) Being the Ace Goober Mechanic that I am, I used it anyway, So, eventually, the Transynd found its way to other's windshield glass. Sorry 'bout that! My bad.
Another seal is on order.
Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #31
guy_450
guy_450 will become famous soon enough

2001 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhawk View Post
Amen fdryer. I've never understood the mentality that causes people to make a large investment for a vehicle without considering long-term fuel economy knowing the history of price spikes since the 1970s and the fact that fossil fuels are a finite resource... wasting now contributes to future price spikes and shortages. Yet if the price were to drop again, lots of people would go out and buy large gas guzzlers again as if history never happened.

But relevant to our discussion, I think it makes the S-series even more attractive as a car now.
I don't hate Saturn. -S- cars have been part of my personal "fleet" since 1995 & my last gas guzzler was a 1988 model year.

Regular gas price peaks at cdn$ 1.54/ Liter (USD 5.25 /us gal @ 0.9 exchange rate) last week here!
2001 SW2 4AT silver (garaged, 2000 SW2 5MT sold)
2013 VOLT, now it is son's DD, it has replaced my former 2002 SL2
2019 VOLT electric instant torque & regen braking + range extender
guy_450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #32
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ Would you mind educating an ignorant/uninformed New Yorker? ^ I was in B.C. recently for a week in Whistler and on the way out from Vancouver airport we saw crazy gas prices. $115CND per ? I was completely lost on pricing........
VCX NANO
Old 05-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #33
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

I think they're just jealous that we have vehicles that don't dent or rust.
The last gas I purchased on L.I. was $3.84 - my '95 SW2 goes back on the road tomorrow. Gonna park the VUE for a while.
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #34
guy_450

2001 SW2

Quote:
^ Would you mind educating an ignorant/uninformed New Yorker? ^ I was in B.C. recently for a week in Whistler and on the way out from Vancouver airport we saw crazy gas prices. $115CND per ? I was completely lost on pricing........
"In January 1979 service stations started pricing and dispensing gasoline and diesel fuel in litres." http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...ic-conversion/

Much more later, when gas price rose above $0.99 / litre (99¢ per litre), for unexplained reason, all petro-station choose to display 115.0 / litre (=115¢) in place of $1.15 / litre bummer!!

1 us gal = 3.7 Litre

Last edited by guy_450; 05-06-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #35
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

AHHHH, I see now. I was wondering (good thing I wasn't driving) if the decimal point was left off but I drifted off and began thinking perhaps by the hundred liters? I understood buying by the liter in Canada but was stunned (easily distracted) by the numbers that caused brain lock for the entire week, including a fill up before returning the rental (Jeep Grand Cherokee). Goes to show you how much this New Yorker knows...................
VCX NANO
Old 05-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #36
guy_450

2001 SW2

When I wrote bummer, it wasn't for you, you knew that? How much did it cost you to fill up the Jeep Grand Cherokee?
---
Chevy Volt: premium gas but not so much, after 42,600 kM =>345L to date @ $1.50 / Litre avg = $517.50 + a lot of kW.h @ $0.095 / kW.h

Old 05-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #37
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy_450 View Post
+ a lot of kW.h @ $0.095 / kW.h
Bow down to Hydro Quebec! 22.2¢/kWh here on L.I.
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:32 PM   #38
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes, I know you weren't making fun of me.

I just did some quick calculations, including your liter to gallon conversion (its hard to keep up with America's refusal to convert to the metric system (POLITICS!?). I'm not sure on pricing as my credit card receipt included GST(?), making it $1.90 CDN/ltr? $40 (CDN?) on the receipt. Anyway, we drove a round trip of approximately 272 kms (136 kms each way?). By my calculations using $1.15/ltr and 34.8 ltrs to top off the tank before returning the rental, I come up with 7.82 kms/ltr? If I'm still converting correctly, I have just under 18 miles to the gallon. Your thoughts?
VCX NANO
Old 05-07-2014, 12:30 AM   #39
ohioguy98
ohioguy98 is on a distinguished road

The near absence of and resistance to the metric system in the US is actually the opposite of politics. In fact, some politicians tried to forced the metric system on the US back in the '70s, with increasing requirements that things be posted in "real" numbers AND metric in order to begin to break down the resistance to it.

Example - for about a decade many signs on the interstates in the US got replaced with ones that had the distances in miles AND km. The feds didn't count on the pushback they received on many levels, and after a while the pro-metric types in the government just let the issue quietly fade away. When those signs got replaced, the metric distances were gone. It's easy to do the distance conversion in your head, though. I've spent so much time travelling in Canada I pretty much do it automatically now.

A few vestiges of the big metric push remain in the form of products that appeared in metric packaging for the first time in the '70s and have stuck around ever since, such as soft drinks in two liter bottles.
ohioguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:43 AM   #40
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioguy98 View Post
A few vestiges of the big metric push remain in the form of products that appeared in metric packaging for the first time in the '70s and have stuck around ever since, such as soft drinks in two liter bottles.
And engine displacements (though for V8 engines, I miss the cubic inch displacements -- 454 sounds much cooler than a 7.4 liter as does 305/307/302 than 5.0 liter)... as well as engine fasteners (at least Saturns were all metric... I haven't worked on other American cars from recent decades, but I assume the same is true for them as well).

In the science and medical world, everything is metric.
Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 219,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote