SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-27-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
rojaul
rojaul is on a distinguished road

Default tranny/clutch noise

I have a 2001 SL2 sedan, manual transmission.
my problem is noise coming from the tranny. I have reved the engine, and it is quiet. The noise is assoicated with the car moving. When I am moving I hear a grinding noise(not the sound when you try to shift without pressing the clutch) more like two peices rubbing together. I can drive in 5th gear at 20mph and no clutch slipage. , clutch seems ok. Also i decided to check the diff pin as listed here (hard to see, but i used a mirror.) the diff pin looks good. And I have a receipt from a previous owner stating that he had a "blown diff" from a reputable tranny shop in town. After I checked the diff pin i decided to change the fluid. The old fluid was full of metal filings. The noise happes if i am accelerating, or coasting, or coasting with the clutch pedal pushed in. as long as i am moving.

Just wondering if anybody has any ideas
rojaul is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: tranny/clutch noise

if there were metal shavings in the tranny fluid, something is wrong. There is an internal magnet that picks up all the metal shavings, but i guess it got all clogged up. I'm pretty certain the diff pin has started to move out, so you're looking at a future transmission replacement.
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #3
rojaul

ok, I took the tranny out. First thing I noticed is that on the slave cylinder, there is a plastic retainer clip holding the pin in, and the one side is broken, and the pin moves around in there. Can I but that plastic clip?

Now, back to the tranny...I took it apart and had metal pieces that looked like parts of a roller bearing falling out. They are from a bearing that carries one of the main shafts in the tranny. The one that has a recess in the bell housing, not the input shaft. This bearing was torn to pieces, and i have a crack in the housing. Looks like i'm going to a junk yard tomorrow. Is this a common thing with saturns? I dont know about the previous owner, but I am very gentle with this car.

Also, The last tranny I worked on was an old rwd. Do saturns have a pilot bearing in the clutch assembly? or just a throwout bearing?

Also, Will the transmission from any other years or engines work with my car? 2001 sl2 5spd.

The Diff Pin looks fine, and doesnt seem to have moved at all.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:56 AM   #4
Frank3
Frank3 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Don't forget the magnet only works for ferrous metals. For any aluminum it is worthless as in the case of the diff pin.
Frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:06 AM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Where is the magnet in the manual trannies? Is it accessible from the outside, without removing the tranny itself?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:02 AM   #6
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojaul
ok, I took the tranny out. First thing I noticed is that on the slave cylinder, there is a plastic retainer clip holding the pin in, and the one side is broken, and the pin moves around in there. Can I but that plastic clip?
That clip is there to hold the pin in during installation and it's supposed to break on the first use. I understand that you can get another one from the dealer.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #7
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:

Now, back to the tranny...I took it apart and had metal pieces that looked like parts of a roller bearing falling out. They are from a bearing that carries one of the main shafts in the tranny. The one that has a recess in the bell housing, not the input shaft. This bearing was torn to pieces, and i have a crack in the housing. Looks like i'm going to a junk yard tomorrow. Is this a common thing with saturns? I dont know about the previous owner, but I am very gentle with this car.

Also, The last tranny I worked on was an old rwd. Do saturns have a pilot bearing in the clutch assembly? or just a throwout bearing?

Also, Will the transmission from any other years or engines work with my car? 2001 sl2 5spd.

The Diff Pin looks fine, and doesnt seem to have moved at all.
the plastic clip at the end of the pin on the slave cylinder is there for when the initial installation is done at the factory. that's normal, that holds the pin in until the first time the clutch is depressed, then it breaks and the clutch fork holds it in from there on. if you take the slave cylinder out, put a piece of electrical tape over the tip and wrap it around the sides so the pin doesn't fall out on its own.

as for the gearbox itself, i believe any year mp2 or mp3 gearbox will fit right in. some may have different sensors in them, tho.

i think the only bearing in the clutch is the throw-out bearing. never changed one yet, tho, so i don't know for sure...

s3aturnr
"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #8
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
Where is the magnet in the manual trannies? Is it accessible from the outside, without removing the tranny itself?
nope. it's way inside. can't remember exactly where, but i remember wondering that same thing before i took mine apart...

s3aturnr
"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #9
rojaul

Thanks for the help.
for that plastic clip...only one side broke off. is that normal? can i use the half broken one when i put the slave back in?
it feels like that pin came out of where it belongs, but did not come out of the rubber boot. is that ok? or will i have to bleed the system?

Not really sure what is mp2 and mp3.

I found a tranny from a 1997 dohc. Will this one work?

anyone selling a tranny or know of one, and how much should i expect to pay at a junk yard. i am in the buffalo, ny area.

thanks for all your help

Bob

Last edited by rojaul; 10-02-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #10
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Thanks for the help.
for that plastic clip...only one side broke off. is that normal? can i use the half broken one when i put the slave back in?
it feels like that pin came out of where it belongs, but did not come out of the rubber boot. is that ok? or will i have to bleed the system?
The pin itself can come out with out letting air into the system. I'd leave the clip on but, do the thing with electrical tape as S3aturnR said.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:15 PM   #11
sweetwagon?
sweetwagon? is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

Could it possibly be the throwout bearing? When under load it can make noise if it is failing. Two of my brothers have Mustangs, 93 LX 5.0, 99 Cobra. I know their throwout bearings make noise only when under load. Just a thought....
That's right, all the way down to the poopsack... What, you guys don't all have poopsacks?.... DAMMIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOPSACK!!!
sweetwagon? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #12
BarnOwl

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
I found a tranny from a 1997 dohc. Will this one work?
It should work fine. Since you have it out. You might want to disassemble it and get the diff pin welded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwagon?
Could it possibly be the throwout bearing? When under load it can make noise if it is failing. Two of my brothers have Mustangs, 93 LX 5.0, 99 Cobra. I know their throwout bearings make noise only when under load.
You're close to right on the symptoms of a throw out bearing. They tend to make nose when the clutch is disengaged. However, he's found the problem to be a bearing inside the transmission. This must be a pretty unusual problem. I've heard of bearing seals leaking on a Saturn transaxle but, never heard of one coming apart.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #13
rojaul

Yea, I have the throw out bearing, it is fine.

The problem is the bearing in the tranny. I would post a pic of it, but it is torn into 1000 pieces. lol

I called a couple junk yards yesterday, they have one with 70,000 miles for $350, and one with 117,000 miles for $200.

I will probably be buying one later this week.

thanks for the help