saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member
DJboozeAlot is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Default removed odometer from gauge cluster, now gas gauge & oil pressure gauge don't work

i bought an odometer from a junk yard to replace my broken one(and the one i bought ended up being broken too ), and after i put the gauge cluster back together and into the car, the gas gauge didn't work, and the oil pressure gauge reads the same level and doesnt move(and it worked fine before i had the gauge cluster apart).

i took the cluster apart again, didnt see anything wrong, put it back in the car and i am still having the same problem

what could i have done the get this problem?
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
edbama2
edbama2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
1994 SC2
Default Re: removed odometer from gauge cluster, now gas gauge & oil pressure gauge don't work

Just to let you know, make sure that the place where you plug the cluster in has all three hooks attached. I made this mistake the first time. If they are not all in you will get odd readings.
When is Saturn going to make an SC2 Truck?
New 05 Dodge Ram Quad Hemi Thunder Road Package
Old 03-30-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
Default Re: removed odometer from gauge cluster, now gas gauge & oil pressure gauge don't work

well i hope it's that easy...

how's your beer, ed? mines good, got one in hand right now
Old 03-31-2005, 10:00 AM   #4
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member

1996 SC2

took the cluster out again, and made sure it was plugged in all the way, but i still have the same problem

looks like i have to buy a whole new cluster
Old 03-31-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
edbama2

1993 SC2
1994 SC2

The beer is good and cold on a nice rainy day. I just won 2 on ebay that Im waiting for them to get here. Plan on opening them up to get a good gear and bring it to a manufacturer. I like working on this part so far. It is rather easy.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:02 PM   #6
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member

1996 SC2

you plan on getting some replacement gears produced? i was thinking about that myself
Old 03-31-2005, 05:12 PM   #7
edbama2

1993 SC2
1994 SC2

Yes, Im not sure if I want to get plastic ones or brass. Brass I would be afraid of killing the other plastic gears around it. Actually not plastic, they call them acetol I think. Have spent hours researching. Yazaki is the company that makes the odometer, have not found anything from their websight. Sounds like it may not be American made. If you have any thoughts on what material for the gear let me know.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member

1996 SC2

i would think plastic would be fine. the gear in mine lasted 210k miles, so a new plastic gear will outlast my car by many years

any company that could actually make the gear could probably offer you some different materials it could be made out of, and advise you as to which would be the most durable, and not tear up the other plastic gears
Old 03-31-2005, 05:29 PM   #9
edbama2

1993 SC2
1994 SC2

Did you get your old gauge cluster apart? You can swap the gear from the new into your old cluster and then put it back in. Or put the old one back in to see if you get your other gauges back.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:34 PM   #10
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member

1996 SC2

yeah, i got my old one apart last week, i guess i missed a few screws. when i went to the junkyard last week, i got a new odometer, not the whole cluster. the cluster was sitting on a seat of a car, so i just removed the odometer so i didnt have to buy the whole cluster. and the gear ended up being broken in that one too.

so now i have 2 broken odometers, a non working gas gauge, and a non working oil pressure gauge
Old 03-31-2005, 06:22 PM   #11
edbama2

1993 SC2
1994 SC2

If it was out already chances are someone returned it because it did no work. Always do the extra work to remove at a junkyard.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:45 PM   #12
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Someone may very well have put their broken gauges into the cluster and then returned it for a "it doesn't work" refund as well. Pull the cluster yourself right out of a car, or have them do it for you after you place a tell tale mark somewhere on it so that you can be sure they do....
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 04-02-2005, 03:40 AM   #13
ArghIGiveUp

I'm half-asleep, but I think what has happened goes as follows...

You installed the odometer from a junkyard cluster in to your original cluster, and now your original fuel level and oil pressure gauges don't work.

Hmm... Is it possible that you bent anything on either gauge? They're very delicate mechanisms. I bent one once, and I'm still not sure how I did it.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:52 AM   #14
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member

1996 SC2

Quote:
You installed the odometer from a junkyard cluster in to your original cluster, and now your original fuel level and oil pressure gauges don't work.
that's exactly right...

i suppose it's possible i bent something on the gauges, but i can't see where it would have been bent or damaged

probably no way to fix em
Old 04-02-2005, 12:22 PM   #15
ArghIGiveUp

Not really worth the effort to repair them when they can be easily replaced.

I have a few parts gauge clusters including a few good odometer assemblies if you end up needing any bits and pieces. I'm not going to have much use for them once I install my aftermarket gauges.

Old 04-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #16
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member

1996 SC2

if they could be repaired, i would want to that so i could save $50 and a trip to the junkyard

anyone have a gauge cluster for sale for a 92 SC DOHC 5speed?
Old 04-03-2005, 10:54 AM   #17
ArghIGiveUp

I picked up a couple of those a while back. I might still have one of those '92 DOHC clusters. I know I sold one and disassembled another one for parts, but I can't remember if I had two of them or three. I'll have to look in the garage.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:44 AM   #18
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member

1996 SC2

well let me know if you have one, and how much you want for it
Old 04-06-2005, 03:59 AM   #19
ArghIGiveUp

I was out there today poking around, and I didn't see any. I did find two clusters from a '93, though. LOL. But those don't have oil pressure gauges.

Closed Thread