SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-27-2021, 11:09 PM   #1
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2
Default 2000 SL2 Valve Body Swap

Sorry if I missed this topic in the search. Will the valve bodys interchange with a 2000-02 ? I've been having some issues I've discussed in another topic about "Clacking" in and out of gear with shifter and some while shifting and some harsh shifts. My tech said it most likely is the Pressure Solenoid or the Output Shaft Nut, which I stated in the other topic. They're simple to change and $35 at the yard. I also have a solenoid "Ratcheting" as I call it like the Mitsubishi transmissions do. Sometimes a lot longer than coming to a stop. Sometimes You can hear it constantly while slowing down as well. My tech says that's normal with these because the pressure solenoids make noise because they're not GM transmissions, which I knew. Hmmm. Whether He's correct or not is another issue. Doesn't sound too normal to Me. I was just going to go ahead and switch it out and see what happens since there's not that much work or money involved. Thanks for any info.

Last edited by Chaz9496; 05-27-2021 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Wording
Chaz9496 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2021, 12:09 AM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: 2000 SL2 Valve Body Swap

The different year VBs should be the same.

As far as odd "clacking" or "ratcheting" noises, those are not normal!

The nut that may be loose is on the input shaft, not output. You will find many threads here on the ISN (Input Shaft Nut). Yes, there is an output shaft/nut, but it rarely (never?) causes a problem.

The Saturn TAAT auto trans is a rather unique and finicky beast; it takes a fair amount of cleverness and diligence to trouble-shoot it without just throwing a lot of parts at it. I would not trust any shop that says a weird noise is normal; they clearly are not familiar with the TAAT.

There are several things that need to be checked before changing the VB, but if you are not a DIYer and are having a shop do this, then it may be difficult for us to guide them. Yeah, a JY VB is cheap, but hardly a "known good" part. If it does not fix the problem, you have no clue if the problem is still a bad VB or something else.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:47 AM   #3
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Yes, I'm Somewhat a DIY'r. I'm kind of a semi-retired one. I found out that when the car is cold, there's no "Ratcheting" sound. It only seems to be when it's hot. Strange. The 'Clacking'' is still present. No, the Tech isn't trusted my Me. I was told from work He was mostly a Transmission Expert other than a Engine Mechanic. Anyway, that's what it's doing I didn't really notice.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:27 AM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Sounds are notoriously hard to describe or even tell which direction they are really coming from. Do these two sounds, the clack that is always there, and the ratcheting only when hot, happen when the car is stopped and engine just idling? Do either noise change depending on what position the shift lever is in, or which gear the trans is actually in? Do either noise change frequency as the engine/car speed is changed? How about turning or braking, any change there? Point is, "strange noises" is not one of the TAAT symptoms that I have ever heard of here, or anywhere else. We often hear of poor shifting, lack of shifting, no going into gear, etc, but rarely noises. And noises seem to be more high-speed "scraping".

So, I would remove the serpentine accessory drive belt from the engine and do some brief running/driving like that. Let's make sure the noise isn't coming from one of the many possibilities over on that end. Remove the cover under the torque-convertor and check for loose fasteners from the TC to flex-plate or flex-plate to crank; check for cracks on the flex-plate. while you are down there, see if there is any hint the differential pin is coming loose...

The above is kind of general advice, maybe we can be more specific once some of my questions above have been answered. If you can post videos so that we can hear the noises ourselves, that may help.

Back to the trans: What were the other issues, can you point us to some other thread where they were detailed? I don't want to repeat all the usual stuff about solenoids, line-pressure, system voltage, etc if those have already been covered.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:10 PM   #5
Chaz9496

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Probably, but those sounds in other threads don't all pertain to my problem. OK, a YouTube uploader that works on these transmissions I explained it in His reply that these sounds are perfectly normal operating sounds. He's done hundreds of these and seem not think this was anything unusual. Not to be offensive here, I had commented on the video He posted on the input shaft nut sound, and mentioned the "Buzzing" sound when coming to a stop before I posted it here. I just didn't hear back from Him until today. I think I'll just see what happens and go from there. Thanks for Your help, tho !