SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 05-23-2021, 03:37 PM   #1
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1
Default Let The Headliner Repair Begin!

Finally got out today to take the headliner out and start the repair. Thought I'd pass along a few pics of the process thus far.

I didn't get much past the cleaning stage because the temp. dropped from a balmy 90 degrees to a fairly chilly 57 in about an hour due to a coming storm (which never actually came in, just a light drizzle).

The first pic you can see is all that's left after I had already removed all the cloth from the liner. Also note the new pinstripes on the door!

Second pic is just showing the removal of the liner. Richpin says in his vid that you have to remove the rear bench so the seats can lay down all the way, but I found that I was able to get it out without taking it out and only have one seat back down. Just had to make sure the trim was all removed enough to get it off the roof, but it just slid right out with some minor bending.

Third pic is just when I found that a lot of the foam could just be ripped off, had to be careful not to remove too much material from the backing. I'm a bit itchy now because I didn't realize that seems to be a type of fiberglass, not a MDF type press board. Also, the wire brush I used to remove the foam and other crud.

Last pic is as far as I got removing the foam and a good amount of the old glue (and probably nasty tar from the previous owner's smoking). The bit of brown along the bottom of the pic is the backing for the foam that I just could not seem to remove, even with the wire brush and it would dig into the backing board, so I didn't want to risk burning a hole through it.

As I get more time this week, I'll be putting the new fabric on and I'll have more pics as I go. I had already bought the fabric about a month ago from JoAnn's with a coupon I had for 50% off any one item. So for two trips, I was able to score the fabric and headliner adhesive for only $30. The downside is that it's going to be a black fabric instead of the original, but I figure the dash/center console is black, my new floor mats are black, and it has black all around the doors, so it won't look that out of place. And besides, who's gonna be looking inside the car to see if the headliner matches anyway, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1132.jpg (124.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1133.jpg (157.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1134.jpg (101.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1135.jpg (109.7 KB, 34 views)
Check out my current SL1!

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268456
cujoe_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2021, 06:06 PM   #2
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1
Default Re: Let The Headliner Repair Begin!

And the new headliner is finally in! Woo! Had to use the fisheye lens to get it all to fit in, but I don't think anyone minds, right?

I was gonna take more in between pics, but I was getting a bit short on time and wanted it all back together, so you at least get to see the final product

Doesn't look too bad in black and it's loads better than sagging and nasty stuff hanging from the ceiling. I had a few trouble areas, but most you can't really see unless you know where to look. It did come out a bit wrinkled in places for some reason, I think that might have been areas where I had scraped a bit too much of the backboard off, but oh well. It's done and looks fine for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1139.jpg (99.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1140.jpg (110.0 KB, 28 views)

Old 05-27-2021, 12:06 AM   #3
El_bell
El_bell is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Looks great! Mine is definitely gonna need some attention soon. I tried redoing it about a year ago, but I must have not glued it very well cause it’s pretty much all sagging now haha
El_bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #4
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

I've done a half dozen or so.

The biggie is getting the pressboard base CLEAN.... My best results have been with a clean coarse wire brush and a shop vac. Take your time, work methodically. When done with the wire brush use a microfiber towel and denatured alcohol, MEK or acetone to get a sanitary clean surface...

I have had the best luck with 777 spray adhesive. I apply the new fabric by spraying about 1 foot at a time of both the base and fabric, then carefully apply the fabric to the bade with a bit of stretching to it...

Practice helps..
Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
98 SL2
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:34 PM   #5
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

I thought it was press board, but this particular one is actually some kind of pressed fiberglass. The more I scrubbed at it with the wire brush, the more it came off. My arms were hella itchy by the time I was done and you could see the fibers coming off on the brush. I've never seen them use fiberglass before, but I guess it had to be cheap to keep costs down, right?

Old 06-03-2021, 05:38 PM   #6
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

It may be glass... I dunno...

Pressed stuff....

The outermost layer is sort of off-brown. If you go through it, it's yellowish.... It seems best to take it d o wn only to the brownish layer...
Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SL2
Old 06-03-2021, 05:42 PM   #7
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

Yep, I tore off all the old fabric, then I scrubbed the leftover foam and adhesive with the wire brush (you can actually see it in one of the pics, really aggressive brush). Made sure to get as much off as I could without burning a hole through the other side :P

Old 06-03-2021, 05:45 PM   #8
onlinebiker

Good deal... Just use a good solvent on it before applying glue. It seems to work much better.... My go- to is MEK....
Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SL2
Old 06-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #9
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

Not sure it would have made a difference in this case, I'd be afraid of it soaking up like cardboard and breaking down the base. That and none of the vids I watched about headliner repair mentioned anything about it, but if I ever have to do it again on a normal headliner that uses press-board, I'll keep it in mind

Old 06-04-2021, 12:15 AM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I don't think I'd use anything approaching "soggy" on the fiberboard the S-Series use's for a headliner backer. A softish plastic bristle brush and some elbow grease is all you need to take the factory headliner foam backing material off. Then use a quality fabric glue, like 3M Super Trim Adhesive, to hold the new headliner on.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:23 PM   #11
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to all

1997 SW2

Looks good - I like the black headliner contrast too. Its a nice feeling when you get this particular job done and you finally get to relax and stop worrying about if or when your headliner will fall and obstruct your view. Plus you get that new car feeling again when you look up.
• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:21 PM   #12
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

I agree! I kinda like the contrast too and that it matches the dash which is almost always black in these particular cars.

I did just install some radiant heat barrier underneath it, I don't know if it's actually going to help, but I can just feel the heat when the sun is high overhead and it's 90+ degrees out. Now I have to wait for one of those days again to see if it makes a difference (been humid and rainy since Friday).