SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 06-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Shamrockgal
Shamrockgal is on a distinguished road

Attention 2004 Saturn Vue 2.2L Variant Tranny

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question but I'd like to share MY experience with these craptastic transmissions that GM has begun to put in vehicles. I bought my 2004 Saturn Vue brand new in January 2004 for $22k. My Vue has less than 75,000 miles on it and the transmission is slipping. Why? Design flaw.

Over the past 5 years GM has sent me letter upon letter extending the warranty on the transmission in my vehicle. It's still covered at this point.

My car began to drive a little funny about a year ago. Me, being the idiot that I am assumed that because I switched from Amsoil to absolute junk oil that my car was just adjusting. After a few months though it became apparent that SOMETHING was wrong with it.

So I call Saturn and the gentleman that I spoke to switched between telling me that my Warranty was still covered and telling me that it wasn't. He sounded utterly confused. He sent me to a Chevy dealership and they ran a computer check-up on my Saturn and it said - yep - your transmission is slipping like everyone elses!

What is Saturn/GM doing for it's customers??

1) $5000 towards any new GM vehicle
2) Or they will reimburse you 50% of the repair cost (which is actually estimated between $4000-8000). As in, you still have to pay for the whole repair up front.

Anyway - I'm disgusted. I'm left holding the bag, but my Vue still works a bit. A friend suggested that I put "Lucas Transmission Fix" in and drive it around for about 30 miles and that the slip would probably fade or go away completely. Anyone have any luck with this?

Also - I have looked and looked and looked but absolutely do not see the dipstick for the transmission fluid. Can someone give me a verbal on how to find this? Post a pic maybe?

I have the 2004 Saturn Vue 2.2L Variant Four Cylinder 2wd version.

I'm VERY let down in GM. I will NEVER buy another car from them.
Shamrockgal is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2004 Saturn Vue 2.2L Variant Tranny

Yep. Search the VUE forums for VTi and/or CVT.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrockgal View Post

Just a quick question but I'd like to share MY experience with these craptastic transmissions that GM has begun to put in vehicles... Over the past 5 years GM has sent me letter upon letter extending the warranty on the transmission in my vehicle. It's still covered at this point.

What is Saturn/GM doing for it's customers??

1) $5000 towards any new GM vehicle
2) Or they will reimburse you 50% of the repair cost (which is actually estimated between $4000-8000). As in, you still have to pay for the whole repair up front.

Anyway - I'm disgusted. I'm left holding the bag, but my Vue still works a bit. A friend suggested that I put "Lucas Transmission Fix" in and drive it around for about 30 miles and that the slip would probably fade or go away completely. Anyone have any luck with this?

I'm VERY let down in GM. I will NEVER buy another car from them.
1st off, GM is not 'just begun' putting these in vehicles; they tried it YEARS ago when hardly anyone else was, invested a lot of money in it, and it didn't work out. sometimes that happens.
you have a SIX YEAR OLD vehicle that has performed pretty well up to this point, they have EXTENDED your warranty, AND offered $5K towards a new vehicle;
and you're COMPLAINING?
do some research on VTI on here, you'll see what others have done.
seriously, to judge an ENTIRE COMPANY on ONE vehicle is not fair. I think they have already gone above and beyond.
for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosaturns View Post
seriously, to judge an ENTIRE COMPANY on ONE vehicle is not fair. I think they have already gone above and beyond.
Not true. I had a VTi equipped GM vehicle. If GM had handled this properly from the beginning, many people, myself included, would be happy customers. Instead, we have had to go through the danger of being stranded or getting in an accident because of the VTi. And the majority of us were laughed at when we tried to trade our VTi equipped vehicles in on another vehicle. Then we had no choice but to get another GM vehicle. Inconvenience, loss of value on the vehicle, time off from work. No sir, I do not believe that GM went above and beyond in this case. And I too will not buy another GM vehicle.
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
mrtube
Advanced Member
mrtube is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

practically all CVT's have reliability issues.

And for the record, the VTI was not designed or built by GM. I'm also pretty sure from what i've heard the VTI was used when GM did not interfere with Saturn at all and let them do their thing.

BTW. you can be mad at GM, but ALL car companies do things like this. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Ford,,Mercedes. you name one they've done it. Am I saying GM treated their customers the best during this? absolutely not. but your not going to find a single company that will. Ask far2grumpy. he's delt with quite a few over the years.

Honda has had many transmission lawsuits. and we all know what Toyota likes to do when they have a serious safety problem.

You wanna be real unhappy and broke? Buy a new VW with a DSG automatic. You'll find your self both broke down for weeks at a time and at one point replacing a $7K+ transmission.

I gave up trying to find the *golden* car company. they all suck equally.

Last edited by mrtube; 06-13-2010 at 08:25 PM.
mrtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Honestly, GM isn't the only who has had problems with the VTi. Nissan uses it every car except the Z and GT-R. The VTi (CVT) isn't that great of a tranny. I see a lot of Altimas coming in with blown transmissions. These cars only have about 20-30k on them The same with the Murano and Sentras. Subaru tried it out on the Justy back in the late '80's-early '90's and it was a good idea but a bad product. In Saturns case, the VUE is too heavy for the VTi.

Now, to say that GM failed, yes and no. Yes, they used a transmission that was designed for a much lighter vehicle. But then, you're talking about a Saturn which was a company planned back in the mid '80's as an import fighter. That said, GM wanted it to compete against the imports and have a cheap price. The OP paid 22k for a new SUV while other companies had the same class vehicle going for much more. Now, GM could have said "too bad, you're out of your warranty period" like other companies do but they didn't. They extended the warranty and then offered $5000 towards another GM vehicle. I don't see Toyota doing that after someone wrecked their Camry because the gas pedal got stuck.

Other then an '86 Nissan 200SX and the wifes Altima, I have always owned GM vehicles. I wouldn't let my parents buy me my first car when I was in high school unless it was a GM car. I would never own anything but a GM car. I don't know about any of you here, but when I travel by car ( and I've driven from Cali to Georgia and back), I see more Chevy and Ford dealers then any other make. Even in BFE, you are bound to see 3 GM or Ford dealers to 1 Honda or Toyota dealer.

So, go ahead and bash GM all you want but I have never had a problem with any GM I had other then normal issues like batteries. My Cutlass was the exception but I think that some of that was my fault. How many recalls have other companies had? Toyota wouldn't admit to having problems until people started to get killed. Like MrTube said, there are no "Golden" companies anymore. And if the transmission is the only problem you had in 6 years and it's still covered under warranty 3 years past the normal warranty that GM gave at the time, you should consider yourself lucky because like I said earlier, GM could have told you "too bad".
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
Shamrockgal
Shamrockgal is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: 2004 Saturn Vue 2.2L Variant Tranny

Dear Mr TwoSaturns -

Why yes, I am complaining. I think that a loss in the value of the vehicle is insane.

Sorry, in MY life I've been in many vehicles that have had 200-300,000 miles on them so 70k miles on a truck that has been taken VERY GOOD care of is unacceptable. The "warranty" isn't being honored either, which is why there is a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. Some of these cars had transmissions that went out at 10,000 miles on them. So, are THEY justified in complaining?? Saturn has had to extend this warranty for 3 extra years so far for a good reason, they have not been responsible and people have spent good money on

I could have paid cash for a kia, drove it until it died and paid cash for another one and STILL would have been better off than I have been with this Saturn POS.

Sorry, but your dear and beloved GM screwed a LOT of people (after the Government rescued them with said peoples tax $).

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosaturns View Post
1st off, GM is not 'just begun' putting these in vehicles; they tried it YEARS ago when hardly anyone else was, invested a lot of money in it, and it didn't work out. sometimes that happens.
you have a SIX YEAR OLD vehicle that has performed pretty well up to this point, they have EXTENDED your warranty, AND offered $5K towards a new vehicle;
and you're COMPLAINING?
do some research on VTI on here, you'll see what others have done.
Shamrockgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
twosaturns
Master Member

Quote:
Dear Mr TwoSaturns -

I could have paid cash for a kia, drove it until it died and paid cash for another one and STILL would have been better off than I have been with this Saturn POS.

Sorry, but your dear and beloved GM screwed a LOT of people (after the Government rescued them with said peoples tax $).
never said I loved GM. don't misrepresent me.
as for KIA, well, good luck w/ that. no perfect cars out there. guy I work with is having rust issues on his and its only 2 years old.
like someone else said, VW, Audi, Toyota, all have very expensive issues. honda transmissions are KNOWN to fail. toyota truck frames are KNOWN to fail from rust.
fact is, you still have a 6 yr old VUE w/ 75K miles and basically one issue that the company has tried to make good on.
still not cool to join the forum just to bytch and moan about it. lots of other forum members have been here for years to help each other out, not just to complain.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Let us know what color you get....... or not.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #10
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Dear Mr TwoSaturns -

Why yes, I am complaining. I think that a loss in the value of the vehicle is insane.

Sorry, in MY life I've been in many vehicles that have had 200-300,000 miles on them so 70k miles on a truck that has been taken VERY GOOD care of is unacceptable. The "warranty" isn't being honored either, which is why there is a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. Some of these cars had transmissions that went out at 10,000 miles on them. So, are THEY justified in complaining?? Saturn has had to extend this warranty for 3 extra years so far for a good reason, they have not been responsible and people have spent good money on

You could have paid cash for a KIA but I remember when KIA first sold cars under their own name. We were the first KIA dealer in California. And if memory serves me right, they came off the truck with problems. Some won't start. One actually had the name plate up-side down (nice quality control there) and another when I close the hood, the headlight fell out. We had an entire truck load go straight to service because there was something with each car. And I kid you not, one came in with only 1 wiper. THen the Sportage came out. That was the only vehicle I know of that you couldn't put gas in. The gas door actually wouldn't open. You had to pry it open. KIA fixed it under warranty with a new door but the catch was: they wouldn't pay to have it painted to match the car. Then the rear doors wouldn't open. One neat thing about the Sportage that everyone else is just catching on to: They had a driver-side knee airbag.

And now, they have 10 year-100k mile warranty. The reason for that is that they know people will have problems and to keep their customers happy, they offer that warranty. Don't get me wrong, back in '94, I wanted a KIA. Think about it, a fully loaded car for $15K (less for me because I worked at the dealer) until I found out why. I think the new Sorento is a nice vehicle but I also like the way my grandmothers smells but I broke a tooth on one when I bit into one. Will lI ever eat her cookies again, no way, will I ever buy a KIA after seeing all the problems, maybe. Will I buy another GM car, more then likely just because I never had any will issues other then the RDM going out.
I got 163K miles out of my '93 Cavalier before I traded it in '99 for my Cutlass. That Cavalier took me between Canada and Mexico I don't know how many time. It got me from California to Georgia to Texas, back to Georgia and back to California in 6 months without a wimper. And it did it while getting about 35 mpgs. Granted I was 12 years younger and won't do that again.

I'm not here to tell you what to buy but just to say that you shouldn't bash a company over one problem that they tried to make good for you. Now, I would understand if you had 3 transmissions in 6 years and then they said "too bad", but one problem that they will still cover for you.

BTW, does anyone here remember the Ford Festiva? That was built by KIA for Ford back when Ford had a stake in them. And we all know how great that car was.....
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

Last edited by chillin05VUE; 06-14-2010 at 12:30 AM.
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

I just had to sell my VUE to GM and they gave me $5000 credit towards a GM vehilce (3 others at the dealer I went to had the same failure). A tranny should last longer than 7.5 years and 77,000 miles. GM knew the tranny was bad since the begining and delayed the Vti introduction due to problems. I had just spent money putting in new shocks and struts and tires. With the buyback offer or fix your kind of stuck. I would no put another VTi in vehicle. I got a NOX which I like but the whole transaction feels tarnished. I'm glad GM did something but when I replace the LS1; I'm going to look at another company. The Kia Sorrento was nice and if GM didn't give me a $5000 credit I would be in a Kia Sorrento now.

You have every reason to be upset and glad that you posted on the site. If the shoe was on the other foot (Like me) others would understand.

And many parts on cars are outsourced as are other products. The persons who name is on the product should ensure that the parts are reliable and engineered properly for the vehicle.
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

GM was able to get out of the class action settlement when they went bankrupt (The Old GM) so they did not have to pay out after this took place. The new offer came after the lawfirm handling the class action lawsuit started an action against the current (New GM). The litigation is still going on.

http://www.lakinlaw.com/CM/ClassActi...sAction131.asp

One aspect if this class action is won:

If you choose to have your car repaired with New GM paying 50% of the cost, then New GM has represented to the Court that your acceptance of the 50% repair imbursement will not affect any other benefits to which you may be entitled if the lawsuit is successful. Also, if the lawsuit is successful, you may be entitled to recover the other relief provided under the Saturn VTi settlement (i.e. reimbursement for past failures, towing expenses, rental car expenses, and certain past-trade in losses).

If you choose to take the $5,000 credit toward the purchase of a new GM vehicle, then it is likely that you will not be entitled to any additional relief for that fresh failure under the Saturn VTi settlement even if the lawsuit is successful. However, if the lawsuit is successful, you may be still be entitled to recover certain other relief provided under the Saturn VTi settlement (i.e. reimbursement for additional past failures, towing expenses, rental car expenses, and certain past-trade in losses
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
mrtube
Advanced Member
mrtube is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

with all due respect I understand you are upset. I do however have a serious problem with complaints being posted in the Tech forum.

This is a section intended to help people with technical problems.
mrtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
twosaturns
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtube View Post
with all due respect I understand you are upset. I do however have a serious problem with complaints being posted in the Tech forum.

This is a section intended to help people with technical problems.
it's ok, she's a troll. only posted twice, hasn't been back in 2 days.