SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 04:33 PM   #1
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Saturn Midsize News

Here's some excerpts from an Autonews.com article concerning the future of Saturn's midsize offerings.

More products. Lajdziak is pitching a business case at General Motors for a halo car based on the Sky concept (see story, Page 6). The division also will replace the L series with one or two Epsilon-based models in 2005. Lajdziak also wants to add a vehicle that will seat more than five people. Epsilon is GM's mid-sized, front-wheel-drive architecture.

"Stateside, it's difficult to make money with a small car," said Lajdziak, vice president of sales, service and marketing at Saturn, which now functions as a marketing division at GM. "You've got to have a broad portfolio to be profitable."
To achieve its sales target, Saturn needs to break out of a small-car rut, said Doug Scott, an industry analyst with Allison-Fisher International Inc. in Southfield, Mich. The way to do that is with the Epsilon architecture, he said. "When Camry and Accord moved from compact to mid-sized, it took a couple of years for the market to adjust to the fact that Toyota and Honda didn't just make compact cars," he said.
"If Saturn wants to go after the Japanese, they need to do it with the Epsilon, as high-quality and as roomy as those two (Camry and Accord).
Once the Epsilon car comes, Saturn will have to call the Japanese out in advertising and say its products are equivalent to or better than theirs."

Sounds like Saturn may be serious about a real, legitimate midsize car replacement for the L-Series in 2005. Could be good news for a change. For the entire article, go to:

http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=3770

SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2002, 06:01 PM   #2
edwilson13185
Advanced Member
edwilson13185 is on a distinguished road

I'd expect them to give their new offerings cheap interiors and decontent them over the years just as much as they have the L-series.

It'd be a nice surprise if they didn't, though....

Ed
Ed
2005 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4 5AT
http://community.webshots.com/user/edwilson13185
Old 10-30-2002, 06:10 PM   #3
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

I'll be curious to see what Saturn does, but my next car will likely be a 2004 or 2005 Mazda 6 hatch with the 3 liter V-6, 5 speed auto with "sport" shift mode, stability control, nav system, and all the other bells and whistles! That is, assuming I like the car in person and it gets respectable reviews, crash test ratings, etc.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:41 PM   #4
XtremeGrandAm
Master Member
XtremeGrandAm is on a distinguished road

6 passenger saturn sedan.....that sounds like a venture into a hard luxury class of vehicles or I guess you could give someone a cheap alternative for those who want that ability in a car but dont have money for the expensive cars.

I cant see saturn succesfully doing that. Their build quality still isnt good enough to venture this far out. But maybe it is a good idea. I dont know of 1 vehicle that is that large that isnt a luxury car. But is there the market. Hmm...I really dont know.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:51 PM   #5
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

I'd love to see a plastic bodied Bonneville sized Saturn. That would be nice. Six passenger means bench seat My mom's Rambler has bench seats too - but that was a 1965 car...
Old 10-30-2002, 07:20 PM   #6
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

I think you can still get bench seats in several of the few remaining "full sized" cars:

1) Ford Crown Vic and it's Mercury clone, 2) Buick LeSabre (not sure about the Park Ave, but somebody on here has one :-), 3) the Toyota Avalon. These all run around $25-30K and make much more sense to me than some tarted up truck (more comfort, style, cheaper, better gas mileage, and they are among the safest and most reliable vehicles made). I have a feeling that the Saturn 6-seater will look more like a long wheelbase VUE than a LeSabre, though. Anyone want to have a pool on when this vehicle will arrive on the market? My vote goes for 3-6 months after gasoline hits US $3.50 a gallon and stays there.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:53 PM   #7
piney
Master Member

Actually Jim - the Buick is gone and now is owned by a upper 70s fella who wanted a nice car to make him look younger. I gave up the car payment and insurance for the company car - which is on the short list of full sized cars and am enjoying the extra flow. Company ride is 2001 a Crown Vic - so I am still piloting a boat, although the Vic handles great for a large car. Will have a 2003 in a couple of months and that should be really nice with the reworked steering and front end that they have (17" rims too I believe).

I hate Sputes too - will never drive one. I'd have a LW300 over just about any Spute. I like to drive too much to sell out and get a big Spute. Perhaps one of the worst rides in recent memory was taking the wife's old Jimmy SLT from here to Ashville and back. Wind blew it all over the road - just a horrible driving experience. I'll take a car anyday.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:13 PM   #8
Saturnmeister
Saturnmeister is on a distinguished road

All the article says is that they want to add "a vehicle that seats more than 5 people"; they said nothing about it being a sedan/wagon, and I don't believe that's what they're talking about - it'll most likely be the stretched VUE (7 seat).
Old 10-30-2002, 08:24 PM   #9
socketz
socketz is on a distinguished road

300 mil on advertising.

Sounds like alot, but I wonder what Nissan spends ? I must see 4 Nissan commercials per day.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:26 PM   #10
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Devil

I hope the larger capacity Saturn is a stretched VUE with front bucket seats. I grew up driving bench seat cars and I must admit that they provided certain advantages when only one of my girlfriends and I were in the car. More often than not however when the car was actually loaded with six passengers, what ended up squeezed next to me was a grandmother aged passenger who invariably was wearing too much perfume on a hot day
Old 10-30-2002, 09:22 PM   #11
socketz

"More often than not however when the car was actually loaded with six passengers, what ended up squeezed next to me was a grandmother aged passenger who invariably was wearing too much perfume on a hot day"

Chanel #5 baby ! All Grandmas wear the same stuff.

Evaporation factor of 10 ! Whew, I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:05 AM   #12
100KSW2
Master Member

You must have a classy grandmother. Chanel #5 is much better than most purfumes. As someone with asthma and sinus problems and allergies I appreciate what you're talking about. In the early 1980s when ultrapowerful scents like Georgio were the vogue I used to ride publc transportation to work because I worked downtown. There was one lady on the bus who wore some kind of "perfume" which to me smelled like cat urine. Above and beyond the odor, the quantity that she used was deadly. The driver would stop and the smell would get on the bus 6 steps ahead of her. Meanwhile she was laying down a vapor trail behind her bigger than the (diesel powered) bus itself - good for nose bleeds at 20 yards. I used to try to get a different bus or else I would have to get off and get the next bus. I used to joke that she must be applying it for the whole month on the 1st, but I think she actually applied a 30 day supply every day.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:10 AM   #13
100KSW2
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by piney
Actually Jim - the Buick is gone and now is owned by a upper 70s fella who wanted a nice car to make him look younger....
Maybe he is hoping to meet a young lady in her 60s, huh?
My mom just bought a new Buick Lesabre and it is a great turnpike cruiser with loads of room. If I bought one of those I would want the stability control and the touring package which hers doesn't have.

A company car is a great perk, better than a raise, probably. One of my neighbors is a policeman and his company car is an unmarked Caprice with spotlights and prisoner barrier. He gets to give rides to guys who won't be going anywhere for a long, long time.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:36 PM   #14
socketz

I was behind a Buick Regal GSE (Supercharged) this morning and I thought it looked pretty nice.

However, when I got to work and looked it up on Edmunds and found it cost around 30k, I was a bit dissapointed.

Anyone know how bad these depreciate ? How about 0-60, impressive?
Old 10-31-2002, 02:42 PM   #15
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

Regal GS is similar to Pontiac GTP. Both are probably a bit faster than an L300 in a drag race, but both are also much more nose heavy than the L. (supercharged iron 3800).

None of the above are offered in stick, dang it. Which is why I now have a Jetta.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:59 PM   #16
socketz

Car-stats has the older GS at 6.7.

That's the same as the Acura 3.2TL!!!

The GTP is actually a tenth slower, but I'd say it's the same for all intents and purposes.

You know what, it does look like we have a new 'sleeper' champion.

3.2TL owners would keel if they knew there was a Buick that could hang with them.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:41 PM   #17
piney
Master Member

Devil The GS is a sleeper!!!

The GS is a sleeper and you can get a two to three year old one with all the toys for not a lot of money. There a 2000 GS for 14k in this area. The GS comes loaded to the gills too. Plus, if you have this thing for older ladies, you have a hook...
Old 10-31-2002, 07:44 PM   #18
piney
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JimC93SW2
A company car is a great perk, better than a raise, probably.
Yes - I'm up about 500 after tax dollars per month. I'm using the first month's savings for leather interior and for leather buckts from another, nicer small car. Next up is stashing away cash!!
Old 10-31-2002, 07:54 PM   #19
socketz

Since raises are a thing of the past in the High-Tech industry, I think the 'car allowance' is my next quest. Hell, it would be nice to get the 401k match back.

Funny how things changed so dramatically, so quickly.

These last few years have been a real eye opener.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:56 PM   #20
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by manualman
Regal GS is similar to Pontiac GTP. Both are probably a bit faster than an L300 in a drag race, but both are also much more nose heavy than the L. (supercharged iron 3800).

None of the above are offered in stick, dang it. Which is why I now have a Jetta.
Yup, by a tad....but not by much. its like a few tenths (~6.9 vs. 7.3) .. but im sure it has some great passing power
Closed Thread