SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-05-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
boks22
boks22 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy sc2: died at stop light?!?!?

so my girlfriend called me cause her saturn 2002 sc2 died at stop light, said her oil light and check eng. light came on and it imeadiatly died. showed no warning signs prior to the warning lights coming on. just died and won't restart. starter is clicking but the engine is not turning over. i checked the oil and it was extreamly low. I fear the engine may have siezed, I was wondering if any one new anything else that might cause the engine to not turn over. Im not sure about saturns never owned one. it has 84k on it.
boks22 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2008, 01:55 AM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: sc2: died at stop light?!?!?

....low on oil is NOT a good thing. however if you can see it on the dipstick then it shouldnt be low enough to cause issues.

I would see if you can borrow a scanner from autozone and get the codes.

I would also remove the spark plugs and see if you can rotate the motor by hand (aka with a breaker bar).

Its odd that it just died like that though...
Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:38 AM   #3
comanche
comanche is on a distinguished road

2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
....low on oil is NOT a good thing. however if you can see it on the dipstick then it shouldnt be low enough to cause issues.

I would see if you can borrow a scanner from autozone and get the codes.

I would also remove the spark plugs and see if you can rotate the motor by hand (aka with a breaker bar).
What he said ^

Also, if your alternator is bad, and your car was running on just the battery, that could cause the same problems you mentioned, I have seen it before. The alternator goes bad, the vehicle runs off of the battery, the battery dies, all the lights come on, the starter clicks due to low battery.

Check your battery voltage - this should tell you more.

If your battery and alternator are both good, and the engine will not turn over by hand, you have some serious problems.

Post back on how it goes.
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
cormor
cormor is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

No need for a scanner. You need a jump start and a check on your alternator. Its got power but not enough power to start. Thats what the clicking noise is - not enough juice.

Being a saturn, low oil isnt the problem - its a way of life.

Welcome to the forums.
cormor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
boks22
boks22 is on a distinguished road

that was what i thought at first after i pushed the car off the street i tried jumping it with my truck and nothing
boks22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
Cheyne
Cheyne has a spectacular aura aboutCheyne has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2

Have you tested the battery yet? Being as it's an 2002, any chance that it's original?
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
cormor

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boks22 View Post
that was what i thought at first after i pushed the car off the street i tried jumping it with my truck and nothing
Ok, if youve tried to jump start your vehicle with no luck, sometimes you can trick a failing starter by hitting it with heavy stick or hammer. If you can get under the car, try hitting it a few times and then start it.

I did this not to long ago to one of my army buddy's beat up truck. Luckily he had a pry bar in the back lol.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:32 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Did the oil light come on BEFORE the engine stalled, or AFTER?

Have you removed the spark plugs and tried turning the engine by hand?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
clean93
clean93 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormor View Post
No need for a scanner. You need a jump start and a check on your alternator. Its got power but not enough power to start. Thats what the clicking noise is - not enough juice.

Being a saturn, low oil isnt the problem - its a way of life.

Welcome to the forums.
If motor is gone the starters gonna click because it cant turn the flywheel and it burned up, or it just burned up because its a bad starter. Starting system is easy to troubleshoot. Wires, Battery, Fuses, Starter. Get the battery checked, check the cables for corrosion or damage, and if you have never done a starter before read up on it and see if its something you might want to do yourself and take starter to get tested.
clean93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
cormor

1997 SL1

I dont know to many engines that blow up on the sign of stalling.

The oil light comes on if your car stalls out. The engine is OK, its just a power supply or starter problem.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:22 AM   #11
armand71
armand71 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Could just be a loose or corroded connection at the battery. In my 94 SL2, may it rest in peace, the positive cable came loose once a year and did the same thing.
armand71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormor View Post
The oil light comes on if your car stalls out. The engine is OK, its just a power supply or starter problem.
But the critical question -- did the oil light come on BEFORE or AFTER the engine stalled -- hasn't been answered (and evidently won't be; appears to be a post-and-run).
Old 12-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The first 14 words of the OP that started this thread would lead one to believe that the little red light was illuminated before the hamster died. The first though that came to mind is seized.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #14
madpogue

1996 SW2

The OP said ".... AND ....", not ".... THEN ....". If the engine had seized from low oil pressure, the oil light should have come on, THEN the engine stalled, THEN the SES light came on. If there were some other failure, the engine would stall, then the oil and SES lights would come on at about the same time. The SES light couldn't come on simultaneously with the oil light while the engine was still running, because the oil pressure circuit does not interface with the PCM.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #15
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The reliability of eye witness testimony to an event is not real high.

The thing I see that is indicative of seized is this: "i checked the oil and it was extreamly[sic] low". As you know there is about 1 to 1 1/2 quart circulating when the engine is running and the suction is about 1/2 to 3/4 off of the bottom of the pan. This check was made with the engine off. How low "extremely low" is critical here. We need to parse "extremely low" and define it. I see a slight smudge on the bottom of the stick. Loss of suction will seize the motor.

As a jump was tried that leaves either a dead starter or a seized motor. Put in gear and push. If it rolls, go buy a starter, and if not contemplate the next step.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote