SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 01:58 PM   #1
MeaNGreeNSL2
MeaNGreeNSL2 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up "2004 Supercharged Ion Coupe"

IM sure everyone has already read this on the main page, but i have to say a few things about this, one:
HELL YES, about time they start thinking about US.
two: Saturn is supposed to finnally get a profit out of the new comings of Saturn.......
.... MY thing is i wanted the new coupe any ways, BUT not i want it even more, too bad i have to wait one more model year before it comes out.... So what do you guys all think about the Superchared version? Is it a good investment for Saturn to try? Do you think 200+hp is not enough, or a good helping of what we all need, er want?

-B
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2002, 02:13 PM   #2
RedRockerL300
RedRockerL300 is on a distinguished road

For the size of the car, yes, the HP is sufficient I think. I guess they have finally seen/heard from the enthusiasts who really go all out with their Saturns and beef them up with aftermarket parts. I am very glad they are doing this.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:15 PM   #3
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

I'm almost certain that my next car will be the ION quad coupe with this supercharged ECOTEC engine !
Beautiful People First~
Old 09-18-2002, 02:18 PM   #4
MeaNGreeNSL2
MeaNGreeNSL2 is on a distinguished road

Hey RedRocketL300 you should IM me sometime if you have AOL or AIM @ SaTTyMaNN@aol.com im from Abilene, and i noticed your from Ft. Worth, maybe you can IM me sometime, i like talking to ther Saturn enthusiast from Texas... and about the Supercharged ION, bring it on, i will be first on the list for one of those....

-B
Old 09-18-2002, 03:15 PM   #5
SweetASSaturn
SweetASSaturn is on a distinguished road

Default YES

Oh joyus day. THIS IS EXCELLENT news that Saturn will finally have a 200+ horsepower coupe, which by all means should slaughter the competition.

More than exciting.
I love my Saab.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:58 PM   #6
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up

200hp+ is more than enough for a compact FWD car... any more and your just spinning the tread off those street tires.

Poor honda

If this car is something like $15k base and $18k loaded out the door, I think we got a hot one on our hands
Old 09-18-2002, 06:44 PM   #7
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Oh, thank you, Mr. Lutz!!! (Screeching of front tires as 200hp of forced induction ECOTEC power is transferred to the wheels).

The Saturn enthusiasts have been begging for a ride of this kind for the longest time. (Don't forget the 6-M tranny!) Now only if the designers can work on those square-ish RAD windows and go with a nicer-looking 16" alloy wheel.

Also, keep the price of admission under $20K USD and Saturn will have something to crow about for a change.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima
Old 09-18-2002, 06:52 PM   #8
Plastic Gravity

It it materializes, it will be a monster step in the right direction, and the first good news about the ION.

The 200HP won't put it at the top of the heap alone, but if it is indeed supercharged(or turbo) the gratifying low end torque should make for a faster and much more enjoyeable pocket rocket, than say a teeth grinding 8000RPM screaming Honda.

If this really happens, I applaud Saturn for finally getting it done...just too bad that awfull interior won't go away after adding a nice dose of power.

Old 09-18-2002, 07:01 PM   #9
swoker183
swoker183 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

you know what this means, yup, ill b trading my car in next year for a s/c ion. (if i have enough money)
Old 09-18-2002, 07:54 PM   #10
WHITE98SL2
Advanced Member
WHITE98SL2 is on a distinguished road

I dislike to be thinking negative, but when you consider the current price of an SC2 and figure that the ION coupe will most likely parallel it. Then figure the performance enhancements like suspension, rear disc, turbo and who knows what you will be looking at a car that will price out around the same as a RSX, Celica, WRX and others in the same horsepower to price ratio.

So for price being relatively equal a person is back to looks and the feel of the car while driving it. long as the one likes the 60's acid trip instrument cluster then all should be well.

Sorre if my gramier is poor becuse im a produckt of the publick educashion sistem.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:28 PM   #11
peccles
peccles is on a distinguished road

I hope they add some bigger brakes and discs
in the rear for the supercharged quadcoupe.

Paul
Old 09-19-2002, 07:24 AM   #12
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Funny Story

Quote:
Originally posted by Plastic Gravity
It it materializes, it will be a monster step in the right direction, and the first good news about the ION.

If this really happens, I applaud Saturn for finally getting it done...
Hey PG, remember when you laughed at me last week for posting this information? Yeah, it's even funnier now..... for me .
Beautiful People First~
Old 09-19-2002, 01:39 PM   #13
RedRockerL300
RedRockerL300 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MeaNGreeNSL2
Hey RedRocketL300 you should IM me sometime if you have AOL or AIM @ SaTTyMaNN@aol.com im from Abilene, and i noticed your from Ft. Worth, maybe you can IM me sometime, i like talking to ther Saturn enthusiast from Texas... and about the Supercharged ION, bring it on, i will be first on the list for one of those....

-B
I told my wife about this ION last night and she said, "Well, by then we should be in a position to get you a car." Our L is in her name and is really her car. I just drive it every day and make the payments...LOL. She uses her work car during the week and I sometimes let her drive Ruby on the weekends. Now I'm going to be torn between 3 vehicles......Monte Carlo, Silverado or the ION SS (cool label for this one). 3 different classes of vehicles. I want all 3 really but don't have the $$$ or the garage space.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:26 PM   #14
GoatTnder
GoatTnder is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up

I've already started saving for my ION and figured I'd buy one in mid '04. Now, I guess I'll just have to save a little more. Damn... I'll probably end up spending at least $18k what with the performance package, power stuff, and cd player...

But who cares? I'll decimate my roommates Jetta VR6.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:44 PM   #15
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

....if saturn made a convertible version of that turbo car or produced the SKY...well....the first car to touch down in the lot would be in my driveway that evening.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:46 PM   #16
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Devil SC Sedan??

The Quad Coupe is nifty and all, but I don't wan't a coupe.

Where is the Ion supercharged sedan? A supercharged motor, CVT tranny, 17 inch rims and leather - that'd be a fun ride!!

With all the sporty compacts and such out there these days, Saturn would be off the mark if they failed to bring out a hot sedan before that market segment is burnt out and saturated.

The CVT would be great though - good mpg and smooth power delivery.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:30 PM   #17
Saturnmeister
Saturnmeister is on a distinguished road

Devil

Great, lots of power and crappy brakes and suspension - get into trouble faster and STAY THERE! LOL
Old 09-19-2002, 10:46 PM   #18
Yankeez
Yankeez is on a distinguished road

If the highest trim level ION coupe comes in around 16-17 thousand. Then the supercharged version will proably be close to 20,000. But it will proably come with the power package CD ,alloys ect. You will proably only have to pay extra for leather, sunroof, side airbags, on star. Which is good. Those should be options only.

I don't think hte CVT tranny could handle the power but the 5 speed auto could.

I was going to wait untill 04' to get my ION coupe anyway.

A supercharged ION would be the ultimate sleeper. There would be alot of second looks and gaping mouths when a Saturn ION leaves them behind.

Old 09-20-2002, 10:00 AM   #19
piratepress
Advanced Member
piratepress is on a distinguished road

It's still going to be much cheaper for me to keep my '97 SC2 and add a Twistec turbo to it than go out and buy a new 2004 ION. However I am glad to see Saturn getting on the bandwagon (finally). Sheesh, ten years of a 124hp 1.9-liter engine is enough!
2006 Ion Redline- GMPP Stage 2
Old 09-20-2002, 12:04 PM   #20
SCDYNE
SCDYNE is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally posted by piratepress
It's still going to be much cheaper for me to keep my '97 SC2 and add a Twistec turbo to it than go out and buy a new 2004 ION.
2 Words
WARRANTY BABY!
There is nothing like having a 3/36, spanking the crap out of it and still putting 180 HP to the ground.

I just want to post this now in the end of 2002 before the damn thing even comes out that:
NO YOU CAN'T and SHOULDN'T swap out the pulley to increase the boost. Both the PCM and physical neck design prevent this from being an affective HP gain. Even if you did all it would do is over drive the blower generating more heat and negating the benefits of the boost. BTDT! (Honda Camp) Yes I'm sorry I have fraternized with the enemy. I got a dyno putting 166 hp to the ground on a JRSC set-up to prove it too.
-Adam Chant
2007 Saturn SKY - Supercharged
1997 Saturn SC2 - Stock Rebuild
Closed Thread