SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
bigtoque
bigtoque has a spectacular aura aboutbigtoque has a spectacular aura aboutbigtoque has a spectacular aura about

Default Battery died after leaving the lights on

I've been having trouble with my battery going dead lately.

I took the battery to the shop that I bought it (called Battery Man - it's a shop that specializes in car batteries) and they did a full charge on it.

Well, today I made the great move of leaving the headlights on for about 30 minutes. I came out and the battery was totally dead.

I got a jump start and went back to the battery shop.

They took the battery apart and did some tests and said that the battery, while completely dead, appears to be fine. They are going to charge it for me again.

With the lights off, the car is only drawing 0.01-0.03 amps, so there's nothing else that seems to be drawing power.

I understand that leaving your lights on will kill the battery, but does it seem strange that the battery would die after only 30 minutes? Or is that long enough to kill a typical battery?
bigtoque is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Battery died after leaving the lights on

I've left the lights on for close to an hour...multiple times. With mine the headlights turn off (dunno if it does for you too) so it was just the parking lights.
I don't do it purposely I just forget about 'em and I removed the door "dinger" switch so I don't get the beeping to annoy, I mean notify, me that I've left something on.

Oh, have you had the alternator tested?
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

How many amp hours is your battery? Normal is 30 for a small battery, 40 for an average-sized battery. For the battery to go dead in a half an hour of leaving the lights on means that either the battery is way, way under sized for your car or you have a bad battery. Battery should hold up for at least one hour and be fine for starting the car and have no noticeable affects. Two hours and you're pushing it. Three hours and you'll need a jump.

Normal draw for a computerized car is around .01amps, so you don't have anything pulling.
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

They "took the battery apart?"

RUN don't walk to your nearest Sears, Walmart or autoparts store and buy a real battery...
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

You could also have an alternator on the way out or check your battery cables for corrosion.

I had my battery almost die a couple weeks ago because I left the blower motor running with the key in RUN and engine off. I heard the blower motor sound like it was getting ready to die, so I said oh *****e and proceeded to crank the car to let the alternator charge the battery back up and it took several cranks before it turned over, because my battery was fairly weak. But my battery has alot of miles on it and it's probably about time for a replacement. I forget how long I had the blower motor running for...maybe 30 mins or so.
R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:29 AM   #6
myolbug
Advanced Member
myolbug will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2
Idea Re: Battery died after leaving the lights on

Run Walk or better yet, push your Satty to Costco. They have a battery that is about the same dimensions as the stock one, but way stronger. It is basically the same one as the battery in my Suburban, rear ac etc...
A lot more cranking amps and while the lights were left on by my kids, I just jumped it after they had been on ALL DAY and then drove for about 15 mins or so and all's good!
You'll save some green compared to WallWart (Mart) and it is a stronger battery with a better, I.E longer warranty. Same size too!
If it is OK to disarm law abiding citizens to reduce crime, then it stands to reason to disarm the military to prevent war!
myolbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 AM   #7
myolbug
Advanced Member
myolbug will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

Oh and as a side note, the previous battery in my SC2 was able to start a Ford F350 Diesel that had a light left on all day and was very drained ie DEAD. The owner was in disbelief. He said it couldn't be done. HAH!!!
If it is OK to disarm law abiding citizens to reduce crime, then it stands to reason to disarm the military to prevent war!

Last edited by myolbug; 12-04-2007 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Cuz I had an itch down south!!
myolbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:21 AM   #8
l69norm
l69norm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
They "took the battery apart?"

RUN don't walk to your nearest Sears, Walmart or autoparts store and buy a real battery...
?? Maybe he took the top caps off and checked each cell for the specific gravity (acid level) with a hydrometer ??

http://autorepair.about.com/library/.../aa101604b.htm

1. Ask if they can loan you a "simple" charging system tester. It's a little $15 tester that you can plug into your cigarette lighter for 30 seconds and give a better idea as to what's going on
2. Many battery places also have spare batteries they can lend to you while they recharge yours.

Last edited by l69norm; 12-04-2007 at 07:28 AM.
l69norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

How old is the battery? If more than 4 years old, just get a new one, and check you charging system.

I've had good results with Costco (Kirtland) batteries.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #10
chadfend
chadfend is on a distinguished road

1998 SC1

Ok so I read the title of this post and the first thought that popped in my head was "Of course it did". Like others have posted how old is your battery? I make a habit of getting my battery changed out while still under warranty so I dont have to pay full price Of course for some reason in central florida that isn't a problem since my battery seems to have a shorter life here.
Support your local library. Pay your late fees.
chadfend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:14 AM   #11
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

The battery in my SL2 (AutoZone battery I think) has started 6 cylinder and bigger cars before, no problem.

Alot of batteries are similar, the only real major difference is when you get into really big vehicles, like semis and such.
R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #12
99GreenySC2
99GreenySC2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

i've started 6 cylinders with mine, a twin rotory, a few 8 cylinders.. i have never replaced my battery... i dont think its been replaced since it was made..(99) but i am not to sure since we have only owned it for a year or two.. but yeah your best bet would be to replace it and go on with your day..
99 SC2 164k

Its got issues -_-
99GreenySC2 is offline   Reply With Quote