SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 11-23-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
Neal
Neal is on a distinguished road

Default Engine Oil drip post oil change

Hi all and Happy Thanksgiving!
I have an 04 Vue with A/T and 6cyl, about 60k on it. Everything has been fine with it but 8 days ago I had the oil changed and it's been dripping off the frame of the car ever since. The filler cap and lower plug are both tight and don't show any signs at all of leakage but still the leak appears on the frame directly below where the filler cap is located. It's been over a week now and it keeps on dripping as if it were really leaking from somewhere. I also can see under there that there is some part attached to the frame right in the area where it's leaking but I don't know what it is and I can't see any oil lines going to it. The mechanic admitted that he accidently let about a half quart of oil spill down there, but I don't understand why it would just keep leaking! Can anyone help me solve this mystery??
Thanks!
- Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
2Fast4U
2Fast4U is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Engine Oil drip post oil change

Someone changed the oil for you, correct? They probably dumped oil all over the place. If the oil plug is tight and you don't see any leak there then I really wouldn't worry about it. If you can reach that spot with a sprayer take it to a manual car wash and get it or spray some simple green or something on it and hose it down.
2Fast4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
Neal

Thanks! For getting back to me so fast. I guess what makes me a little concerned is how can the oil keep coming even after 8 days? It makes me think it's really leaking from somewhere...
- Neal
Old 11-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
2Fast4U
2Fast4U is on a distinguished road

How big are the puddles that your getting from the drips?
Is that oil on the frame/drips on the ground dark or light (is it new oil or changed oil)?

They probably dumped oil and it actually ran up into the frame rail or something. If you can do the simple green route try that today.
2Fast4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Neal

Thanks!
Yes, the drips are definately new oil and it's probably about a small puddle ( 10-20 drops ) every 10 hours or so, more after a drive, less if the car is just sitting.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Hi Neal,

I had the same problem with my wife's Venture...right after an oil change at a mechanic, oil all over the driveway. It was the biggest puddle of oil I have ever seen under a vehicle that I owned!!!!I almost freaked...all I could think of was how little room there is under the Venture's hood to work on anything and what a pain I was sure it would be for me to fix whatever was wrong.

No evidence of leaks, turned out that they spilled oil all over the place and it was working its way down. Wiped off the frame rails and no more drips.
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:05 PM   #7
Neal

Thanks!
I'm beginning to feel a lttle better about this. Thank you's to both of you you've replied...Much appreciated!
- Neal
Old 11-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #8
WLKVUE
WLKVUE is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Pull the dipstick and check the oil level. Assumming that it was filled correctly, you should be able to tell if the oil is coming from around the filter or it is just sloppy work as the previous posters have suggested. A good shop won't do this kind of crappy job. I never had this problem with any oil changes at the Saturn dealership I go to in Houston, but it would be easy to make a mess as the oil will run all over the frame if you do not put something up there to deflect it into a drain pan. Since the Honda V6 was not made for the vehicle no thought was put into where the oil would drain when the filter is removed. You should be able to clean it up with a couple of paper towels.
WLKVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #9
Neal

Thank you!
Sounds like I'll just have to be patient and let it drain out...and never return to the oil change place I went to ( Munro muffler place on a coupon )...
Neal
Old 11-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by john95SW2 View Post
Hi Neal,

I had the same problem with my wife's Venture...right after an oil change at a mechanic, oil all over the driveway. It was the biggest puddle of oil I have ever seen under a vehicle that I owned!!!!I almost freaked...all I could think of was how little room there is under the Venture's hood to work on anything and what a pain I was sure it would be for me to fix whatever was wrong.

No evidence of leaks, turned out that they spilled oil all over the place and it was working its way down. Wiped off the frame rails and no more drips.
Possibly the oil filter is defective (been dropped), or the old oil filter rubber gasket stayed on the engine and they screwed the new filter on top of it.

or

Maybe they did not tighten then drain screw...

Either way the reason needs to be found immediately, without damaging your engine. Can the oil change place send someone to your house?
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 14.7 beta
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #11
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLKVUE View Post
Since the Honda V6 was not made for the vehicle no thought was put into where the oil would drain when the filter is removed.
??? Have you ever changed the oil on a s-series? An engine which was 110% designed and solely used in that car only. It goes everywhere when the oil drips out of the filter mount to the engine cradle, fills it up and leaks out though all it's openings...

Changing the oil on the Honda equipped VUE is very easy. No worse than any other Saturn.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 14.7 beta
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:16 PM   #12
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

I too had a "mechanic" dump about a quart of oil on the top of my 2003 V6 VUE. The oil settled under the black intake plenum. After driving home, I had smoke pouring from the top of the engine (and it scared the bejezis out of me).

After I found determined the engine and seals were not leaking, I suspected the oil change guys. The fessed up after I confronted them with the issue.

It took about 2 weeks to "burn out" the oil.

So, the oil change folks can screw up. I can say this was the first time since 1990 I have had a problem with this local business. Of course, it was the new guy that screwed up.

Make sure you follow up the advice from the prior posters about having it checked.
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #13
Neal

Thanks everyone!