SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue

Old 11-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

Default Trailer Towing with an 08 Vue

Have now had my Ruby Red 08 Vue XR for one week and am about to change the 4 pin electrical connection that came with the trailer towing package to a seven pin connection so I can tow my 18 foot lightweight travel trailer (all up weight about 2250 lbs). Just wondering if anyone has already installed a brake controller and if so, where did you mount it. I was thinking down low on the dashboard near the left foot. Also, I was thinking of keeping the wires already installed by Saturn and just adding the brake wires and the battery charging wire. Any suggestions? Man I love this vehicle. Only 100 miles (160 kilometres) so far but it really rides nice and it draws a lot of positive comment whenever I am parked in a public area.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
envoy
envoy is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Trailer Towing with an 08 Vue

Warren,

Did you get the factory Class I hitch and use a 1 1/4 to 2" adaptor? I was suprised the hitch was a Class I when I got mine. Keep me informed with how it tows.

Thanks,

Tim
envoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Warren

My Vue trailer towing package came with a Class II hitch capable of towing 3500 lbs and 350 lbs hitch weight. Having the brake controller installed next Wednesday. The RV dealer doesn't anticipate any problem adding the extra wires to the factory installed 4 wire system. Doubt now that I will be towing until next spring but one never knows. Nevertheless I will let you know whenever I do.
Love my Vue
Old 11-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
envoy
envoy is on a distinguished road

Warren,

Yes, The factory hitch is a Class II (my mistake). I still think the receiver looks a little wimpy. When I picked up my Vue the dealer agreed that the receiver looked more at home on an Ion than a Vue.

Tim
envoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
Warren

I guess Saturn didn't want anyone "overloading" their Saturn on the theory that if a Class II will do the job, don't tempt our people to tow more than the suggested max. I was in my dealer/retailers the other day and saw a Vue with a Class III on it. The salesman said the buyer had ordered them to take the Class II off and put on a Class III. I must admit that the Class II looks wimpy but it is a very capable piece of equipment. I have been towing my 18 ft. travel trailer (weight about 2250 lbs trailer hitch weight about 225 lbs) for 10 years with a Class II hitch with no problems.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
Warren

Happy Re: Trailer Towing with an 08 Vue

I had the brake controller and 6 pin connector installed this morning. Nothing unusual here except that the young mechanic that installed it said it was one of the hardest to install he had ever encountered because the car was so tight. In his opinion my XR Vue was one of the best put together cars he had ever seen. He said his mother-in-law had been talking to him about buying an 08 Vue but as he had never seen one he said he was reluctant to offer an opinion. He called his m-i-l this morning and said, go ahead and buy one. Always nice to have someone agree with your choice.