SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-07-2021, 05:58 PM   #1
Caniacfan17
Caniacfan17 is on a distinguished road

Mad 2001 SC2 power window issue

Good afternoon!

I have a sudden issue with my passenger window. It will not go up. No previous issues. How do I check to see if it is the window motor or the switch in the console? I appreciate any advice or tech assistance. 2001 SC2 coupe with console mounted switch. Controls the windows and the power mirrors. All functions other than the passenger window seem to be working fine.

Thanks!
Caniacfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2021, 07:43 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: 2001 SC2 power window issue

In the past, on my 98 SW2, I pried the cluster up, opened and cleaned the contact with a cut tip, and alcohol....removed the carbon, put it back together carefully and it worked again...I also, then lubed all vertical window channels with a spray of dry lubricant.
Same thing on my Suburban, cleaned carbon off contacts and walla, the mirrors fold up like they used to.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:20 PM   #3
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Ach ! CUE tip is what my brain wanted to type....
Old 06-13-2021, 12:51 AM   #4
TomM96
TomM96 has a spectacular aura aboutTomM96 has a spectacular aura about

cut ... cue

Thanks for repair hints on switch mechanism, Mr. Toggenberg!

The switches tend to fail as described....
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:02 PM   #5
Caniacfan17

I appreciate the advice.i took it apart as far as I could and used electronics cleaner on it. It worked for a few times up and down then stopped. Very irratic. Works fine going down but up is a rarity. Now I can't find a replacement switch. Been hunting high and low all.over the internet, local salvage yards, etc and have only found 1 or 2 on ebay. Any suggestions that you have used for parts that may lead me to a switch?

Thanks
Don
Old 06-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #6
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Are you sure it is an electrical problem, and not jamming of the mechanism?
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:51 PM   #7
Caniacfan17

Yes, I have taken the door completely apart
No jamming. It goes up intermittently as I wiggle the switch and goes down just fine.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #8
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

If it improved at all after spraying the cleaner, then the answer is to clean further.
Look for carbon spots on the contacts and find a way to 'scrub' the carbon off. I used cue tips and I have only ever used alcohol, not any spray cleaners.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:16 PM   #9
Caniacfan17

I have spent the last hour with Q-tips, rubbing alcohol, and a tiny wire brush. I have no upward movement, still only downward. The contacts are shining brightly
Old 06-14-2021, 09:31 PM   #10
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Does an ohmmeter confirm that the switch still doesn't make connection when it is operated? Post a picture of what the switch looks like as disassembled for cleaning, so we can inspect the condition of the contacts.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote