SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 06-11-2021, 07:20 PM   #121
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2
Default Re: 2000 Saturn SL2 cruise control installation

Well as I figured, I got the Dreaded phone call at work today from the shop, "Not Able To Do It" The tech that came out to the shop said, He couldn't get into the Computer. From what My mechanic told me is, something isn't giving Him access to the BCM or main computer, or what ever. He's just confusing Me again as to why He couldn't. He thought it was Plug And Play as the GM dealer told Me. He even called the owner and He came out and couldn't get into it. My Mechanic tried His scanner after they left to see what happens and it showed the cruise and that the power was on, but the system not working. Something popped up called Cruise Servo but He had no idea what it meant. Seems to Me there's a "Not Knowing How To Do It" issue going on here. Anyway, He thought maybe He could get it to set, but couldn't. I think that this point, I better just stop here and get the aftermarket set-up. At least I'll know it's plug and play and will need No Programming. What's gonna happen is, I'm going to blow enough money not getting results with this and could have just gotten the A.M. with as much money as I've spent trying to get it enabled which has proven unsuccessful. Thankfully they only charged Me $40 for them to come out for a diagnostic check. I should of been $175. At least that's something anyway. Edit: Thanks for Your help, tho. It would be impolite of Me if I at least didn't state that.

Last edited by Chaz9496; 06-11-2021 at 07:25 PM. Reason: added comment
Chaz9496 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2021, 09:02 PM   #122
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
The cruise control option will need to be turned on in the BCM and this can only be done with a tech2 programming tool and someone with the knowledge on how to do it. There are not too many former Saturn Tech's out there anymore but you may find one who landed at a GM dealership. There is a certain connector that is required with the Tech2 also which poses a challenge; not too many GM dealers have need for it. A dealer that was Saturn Authorized would be the best bet but no guaranties. A dealer will charge you 1 hour labour which is the minimum charge. Around here that is about $120 CAD. The actual process takes 15 minutes.

With all that said, I've heard that there are tech2 clones available in and about the $200 price range and that some have been successful in using it to enable cruise control. I haven't seen too much detail on how to do it yet and the required configuration. I believe there is a 30 day subscription from GM required. Take a read through this post and see if it makes sense >> http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234551

I should also mention you can change out the BCM with one from a cruise enabled SL2/SC2/SW2 donor of the same year. Just make sure that the options match your car but with cruise control (ABS not enabled, no power locks, etc...)
The BCM I got a few weeks ago had power windows and door locks. There are no Saturn's around here at the yards that have only cruise and no other options. Maybe that's the problem, the BCM I got had all the options, but as I stated in other replies that no one has a way to program my original BCM as I stated today. These posts are old and most likely things have changed and they just can't program these anymore. I was told twice that mine is too old. They just don't have a way to program it. I guess it's just frustration that most of the members here that have done this have had success with it and I haven't is why I keep talking about this. Now after I buy this one, not paying attention that there was no options, they're popping up all over with less miles and all the options, and cheaper ! I'm just feeling sorry for myself.

Last edited by Chaz9496; 06-11-2021 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:46 PM   #123
Chaz9496

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Sorry, I can't edit the above post because for some reason it won't re-post after my edit. Why do some members state that only a Saturn Tech would know more about this Programming thing ?! You would think any Tech would know how to, Saturn or not. Saturn's are pretty basic. They're not like BMW or Benz. That also confuses Me. These Guy's that came out to enable the Cruise, evidently didn't actually know what they were doing. Even when He said He could after the shop emailed them when they could come out. And one member stated that this can be easily done ? Not evidently with mine, it's not or it would of gotten done today. I just don't get it.

Last edited by Chaz9496; 06-11-2021 at 10:00 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 06-11-2021, 11:38 PM   #124
Chaz9496

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

I have a a possible solution to the failed programming of my computers today. Question I didn't ask was, was He using a Tech 2 scanner ?! Would they know enough to figure that out ?! That would surely answer the not being able to "Break Into" the computer then. Hmmm....i have one more Shop a friend of mine used to work at that has ties to the owner and He does computer flashing. I'm going to try Him and see what maybe He can do before I go on to the Aftermarket issue. Stay Tuned !
Old 06-12-2021, 01:53 PM   #125
Chaz9496

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

This is what was written on my service order yesterday on the programming fail. Was not able to program the BCM. Green Light, the company, said they think placing the BCM, which I have in my garage from the donor, and the PCM with the Cruise Option from the same donor, which is still out at the yard, perform the Passlock Procedure, will activate the cruise. Really ? I never saw that mentioned in this Thread. I'm I mistaken ? From what I've read and understand, the Cruise was enabled by the dealer with the original BCM & PCM. No swaps were done. I remember someone stating they changed out the BCM with Cruise, but not both. There's the write-up on it. If this is true, Wouldn't there need to be a VIN issue that needed done then ?

Last edited by Chaz9496; 06-12-2021 at 02:07 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 06-12-2021, 02:41 PM   #126
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

CC is an option enabled in the BCM. It shouldn't require reflashing or reprogramming...just simply turning the option on. Where the menu item is to turn on the CC is the big question; I assume Saturn Dealer Tech's were trained on it and the 2-3 that I know exist on the forum either don't remember or haven't been specifically asked enough for the answer to be well known.

Swapping both the BCM and PCM from the same car eliminates the need to remarry the pair like you have to by swapping just the BCM, but they still have to be married to the ignition switch so you'd still have to do the PassLock relearn.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:51 AM   #127
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Here's what we know about enabling cruise control from past history (see quotes below). For the most part the shop needs the correct equipment (older tech2 or newer with red bidirectional connector) and the knowledge how to use it. This is limited for the most part to auto techs that worked for Saturn through the late 90's and early 2000's. Some say you need a subscription to GM and be connected to GM but I think this is for a complete reprogram; you'd have to research this more. Look through the information on the Tech2 clone you can buy as a DIY'r.

Quote:
Anyone wanting to add cruise to a OBDII Saturn and finding that after you install the servo and switch, all you get is the "ON" light, any shop with a GM Tech-II should be able to enable the cruise for you. This is NOT a PCM reflash and all that is required is the standard Tech-II OBD connector (not the PC-Tech pass through). All they need to do is to access the reprogramming >Powertrain >Special functions > Engine output controls screen and key in the correct options to turn it on.
Quote:
RED connector head for their GM Tech tool
Quote:
There are older Tech-2s that do not require the red connector that will do the job. Automotive tech schools tend to have this equipment you need to change those settings.
Quote:
The older Tech-2 did not need that special connector as all of them were setup for bidirectional operation. When you reflash you select each option and in your case you set cruise to installed and it all happens. That is why you reflash but if the tech just runs Auto select the system reads the VIN RPO codes and sets the defaults which in your case is no cruise. This is why you need someone who actually knows what they are doing.
Quote:
The programming or write function is disabled in the connector in the newer devices. The purpose was to prevent inadvertent bit flipping. Dealers either have the older fully functional units or the red programming connector. All programming requires an elevated voltage by design so inadvertent random probing in the data connector does not cause damage when 12v is connected to the programming enable line.
1999 SL2 MT (298,000 km @ 06/2021)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 06-14-2021 at 08:59 AM.
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #128
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Swapping both the BCM and PCM from the same car eliminates the need to remarry the pair like you have to by swapping just the BCM, but they still have to be married to the ignition switch so you'd still have to do the PassLock relearn.
I seem to recall that you can only change one out at a time otherwise you will need a full reprogram. So change the BCM and get it paired and working then change the PCM and get it paired. If you do both at the same time it won't work. This is why I mentioned earlier to read up on swapping out the BCM.
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

Old 06-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #129
Chaz9496

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

From doing some reading online, of course the Cruise issue was a Dealer Add-On option at the time, which I forgot about that technical meaning. This was an 8 year old thread on the site. It was stated that a Dealer would have to enable it from a simple option of a "Yes-No" selection on the Tech II. It's just odd why it's always a "We can't do it" answer I'm getting, from most. Programming IS pretty much Old School anymore. After further reading replies on that site that swapping the PCM with Cruise is another key to having a working Cruise Control other than programming, then having to do the relearn process to have the engine run. One thing I noticed after further reading on other chat sites on the Swap, if You get a PCM form a yard, it'll need to match serial numbers on the back. How would You find a matching serial number to your PCM with Cruise ?! Wouldn't a matching number not have cruise and a shot in the dark finding one ? That's also confusing. Since PCM's are only $30 at the yards, I'm willing to take another gamble on that theory and see what happens before having to Give Up and go Aftermarket. Any information on the PCM Serial Number issue ?
Old 06-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #130
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz9496 View Post
Any information on the PCM Serial Number issue ?
I don't know much about PCM's and part numbers but I would think that if you grabbed the PCM from the same car you grabbed the BCM from that you would be matched.

From what I can gather from the GM Parts websites, for 2002 there were 2 variants; one for manual and one for automatic transmission. The part numbers are 21813186 and 21813187; the later is the automatic. It should be easy to read on your PCM located just behind the battery; there is a sticker just below the connectors. If I recall there will be 2 part numbers and one of them will match the above. If it doesn't take a photo and post it here and I'll see what I can find out.
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

Old 07-07-2021, 10:06 PM   #131
Chaz9496

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

I'm giving it a second shot at it Friday at another shop to try and enable it. I was referred to this place from a couple shops. I've actually known this Owner for 21 years. The Service Writer seemed to understand the issue, so we'll see what happens here. I'm still not confident about it, but it's worth another try since I've saved some money to try again. Next, if they can't do it, is changing out the PCM with one from my year, which there is one at the yard I just got My A/C Compressor off of this last weekend. It had cruise on it. Maybe it can be Flashed to operate on Mine. I'm not sure how that works either, but maybe somebody knows how to work that and if I have to, can get the Cruise working that direction. Man I wish Saturn wouldn't have shut down. It'd be a lot simpler ! Lol.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:18 PM   #132
Chaz9496

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

My assumption was correct, ZERO ! Plus 150 for labor and still no cruise. Sounded to me like they had no idea how to either. He asked if I'd put on a module from the yard. Yes, that's where I got it. He thinks it has a bad module. He was using a Snap-On scanner. Lol...Wrong ! Appears He had no idea how to either. He even updated the PCM and couldn't enable it. That's not how it's done. Anyway, I guess there's no other way than Aftermarket. At least I hope it would work. This is unreal. That's what I get for buying one W/Out it. Oh,well.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:10 PM   #133
Chaz9496

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Getting another PCM from the yard from the same year with automatic trans W/Cruise, it won't start, correct ? I'm not sure that it's only a relearn key procedure either. I've seen video's on it that one can be fooled into thinking it's the same VIN with a scanner and reprogrammed to work. That may be my only other way besides going to an Aftermarket unit. I wouldn't know how to program it anyway and don't have a programmable scanner. BTW, for the shop to breakout the Tech 2 scanner and finding all the connectors, $400 quote. Lol. No chance in Hell. They even charged Me $49 to look-up the programming info. I'd say I got taken to the cleaners on this one !

Last edited by Chaz9496; 07-09-2021 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:17 AM   #134
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz9496 View Post
Getting another PCM from the yard from the same year with automatic trans W/Cruise, it won't start, correct ? I'm not sure that it's only a relearn key procedure either. I've seen video's on it that one can be fooled into thinking it's the same VIN with a scanner and reprogrammed to work. That may be my only other way besides going to an Aftermarket unit. I wouldn't know how to program it anyway and don't have a programmable scanner. BTW, for the shop to breakout the Tech 2 scanner and finding all the connectors, $400 quote. Lol. No chance in Hell. They even charged Me $49 to look-up the programming info. I'd say I got taken to the cleaners on this one !
As I understand it the PCM just needs a 30 minute relearn to be swapped in and that is it. I would do one, get it up and running and then do the other. You can't do both PCM and BCM at the same time. They each need their own relearn procedure.
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

Old 07-24-2021, 03:38 PM   #135
Chaz9496

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

What does the BCM have to do with the PCM being swapped ? Those power two separate set of controls. As I stated in a previous reply, the mobile shop came out to my mechanics shop last month to try and enable the Cruise but couldn't. When I talked to him yesterday about not getting it done yet, He said that the mobile shop that does nothing but programming that they Did use a Tech 2 scanner, but couldn't find the Cruise Option. He said they ran into some problem and it wouldn't work. Thankfully I wasn't charged the total $125 fee. I have no idea what the problem was but I did see from another member here that a Dealer couldn't find the option with theirs either to enable it. Sounds like the same issue with both. Done spending $$ on it right now, at least for shops to do it.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #136
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I've mentioned this before; the PCM, BCM and Security Module (ignition) are "married" to one another. You can only change one at a time; you need the other 2 to enable the one being swapped in.
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)