SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-11-2021, 11:31 PM   #1
kossik
kossik is on a distinguished road

Default 1997 Saturn SL Security System Horn Deactivation

Hi guys. I have a 1997 Saturn SL with the OEM security/alarm system. Currently it is in security Mode 2 meaning if I lock the vehicle with the key fob to arm the security system, and then unlock the door using a key, the alarm horn sounds, but I can still start the vehicle with the key. This is the desired behavior.

However even after starting the vehicle with the key, the alarm horn continues to sound. This is unexpected and not desirable. Is this the intended behavior of the security system, or has something gone wrong? Is there an additional procedure besides starting the vehicle that's needed to turn off the horn?

I know in that scenario I can always pull the horn fuse out and wait the 2 minutes untill the alarm deactivates itself but I had hoped there was a more 'official' procedure, and I've been missing my owners manual ever since it was stolen after a break in, so I'm not able to see if that mentions the situation.
kossik is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2021, 12:34 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: 1997 Saturn SL Security System Horn Deactivation

'97-'99 RKE guide: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59192
'96 use's the same procedure for the fobs but IIRC it has no security options.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:57 AM   #3
kossik
kossik is on a distinguished road

Hi Fetch, thanks for the reply!

I'm not looking to rekey or change the security Mode. I'm already in mode 2 which is what I want. I'm trying to find out wether in mode 2, the alarm is suppose to continue sounding after the vehicle has been starting with the key (is that intended? Or is my system messed up?) and if there is a way to disable the alarm before 2 minutes have elapsed (at which point it stops sounding by itself).
kossik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:16 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Not sure on that specific question. I know using the fob turns the alarm off, never saw the point in unlocking with the key after locking with the fob. I kinda remember it honking on my '97's until I got sick of hearing the horn 15 seconds later and hit the FOB button though.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:37 AM   #5
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

On my '98 I had to unlock with the fob if I locked with it. Else the horn would go. I disabled the alarm.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote