SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-22-2020, 04:24 PM   #1
Flavelesss
Flavelesss is on a distinguished road

Default 1994 Saturn S trunk holes

Hello there Saturn loving people. I have a question about some holes I found when I removed the factory seam sealant in 1994 Saturn S series sedan trunk. 2 holes on each side and they kind of looking the same. I was wondering if that's factory made drain holes of some sort, or do they have other purpose, because they look machined and not naturaly rusted. Since i'm preserving and fixing the car, I want to make sure I don't do anything stupid and try to preserve what's suppose to be from factory. Sorry for poor photos, but the holes are same sized and shaped, even if they don't look like that in photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201222_183649.jpg (209.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201222_183700.jpg (209.6 KB, 51 views)
Flavelesss is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: 1994 Saturn S trunk holes

Those are the two "drop down" wells just in front of the tail lights? If so, then those are rust holes.
billr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:36 AM   #3
Flavelesss

Yes, right in front of tail lights. I was thinking the same, but since they are very same-looking I figured I would ask. And when you think about it, drain holes wouldn't be covered with seam-sealer, duh Thank you for the info.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:53 AM   #4
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavelesss View Post
Yes, right in front of tail lights. I was thinking the same, but since they are very same-looking I figured I would ask. And when you think about it, drain holes wouldn't be covered with seam-sealer, duh Thank you for the info.
They look too uniform to be from rust, to me..... I'm betting drain holes for when the body went through one of the tanks before paint.
2000 SL2 Automatic 200,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, that is a good possibility! If I can see from underneath, without removing a rear wheel, I will confirm on my '94.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:37 AM   #6
Flavelesss

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Yeah, that is a good possibility! If I can see from underneath, without removing a rear wheel, I will confirm on my '94.
Sorry for reviving the thread, but have you managed to check for those holes on your '94? Because I'm almost at point of starting the trunk repairs and I haven't found any more info about them anywhere else.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:55 PM   #7
billr
Master Member

I'll go do it now...
Old 02-25-2021, 03:13 PM   #8
billr
Master Member

I don't see any such holes on either my '94 or '95 SL2s; looked from both below and from inside the trunk. It is possible there are tiny holes well-hidden by sealant, but no visible hint that they are there.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #9
Flavelesss

Well, they were covered with seam sealant from inside of trunk, so I suppose they would be hard to find from under the car. My best choice would probably be leave them as they were and after I'm done with priming and painting trunk, just cover the sealant all over the area as it was. Or should I weld them shut?
Old 02-27-2021, 01:03 PM   #10
billr
Master Member

I would sure not bother to weld those holes over, whether they are OEM or rusted. Just cover them with sealant.

The seams/sealant on my cars have a very smooth and consistent appearance, I think it is unlikely they were applied over any kind of hole. I think there would be a slight dip in the sealant surface if a hole was being covered. But, yeah, I can't be sure without ripping the sealant out.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #11
Flavelesss

Yeah, covering them in sealant will be the plan for me. Thank you for your time