SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 10-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #21
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: What car would you buy after Astra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra08 View Post
You still find them if you look. We bought a new Camaro for my wife which has a six speed. Several of my other cars are either 5 or 6 speeds.

Was considering a new Corvette but paddle shifter only, ugh.
I like standard transmission a lot also.

But the new Corvette is aimed at super-car territory and for performance, the newer generation of "automatic transmissions" is the only way to go. Corvette is my favorite car for 2021, cost no object. Looks incredible. Chevrolet crushed it. Supercar at popular prices.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #22
ProOpel
ProOpel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post

But the new Corvette is aimed at super-car territory and for performance, the newer generation of "automatic transmissions" is the only way to go. Corvette is my favorite car for 2021, cost no object. Looks incredible. Chevrolet crushed it. Supercar at popular prices.
I drove a late model Audi RS something (can't remember what it was exactly but I think it had an R or an S badge somewhere, it was their top of the line performance sedan car) with the paddle shifter thing.

I didn't find the car satisfying. Other than the immediate torque and comfy seats and radio. I think these cars could be more fun on the track though but on our Alabamian streets? Nope.

I'll probably get another 5spd Astra with an option for the sunroof, or maybe a VW TDI wagon, or an Audi A3. It's got to have a standard trans. I feel like I'm driving a go kart or a bus when in an automatic car.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
Side skirts
SRi top spoiler
SRi rear bumper skirt
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #23
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProOpel View Post
I drove a late model Audi RS something (can't remember what it was exactly but I think it had an R or an S badge somewhere, it was their top of the line performance sedan car) with the paddle shifter thing.
I know a guy in Europe who had an Audi performance wagon. Drove well but was a bit heavy so more of a cruiser, IMHO.

He said the Audi was a "financial disaster". And he spent a lot of time speaking with the dealer, dropping off the car, picking up the car. In the shop more than half the year, every year. He had other cars but this was his favourite family truckster.

I know they replaced the suspension, transmission. AWD, turbos several times but there were oter problems with the engine, alarm, power accessories, etc. YMMV.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:17 PM   #24
ProOpel
ProOpel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know a guy in Europe who had an Audi performance wagon. Drove well but was a bit heavy so more of a cruiser, IMHO.

He said the Audi was a "financial disaster". And he spent a lot of time speaking with the dealer, dropping off the car, picking up the car. In the shop more than half the year, every year. He had other cars but this was his favourite family truckster.
That's the thing that concerns me with Audis. They are fun cars, but not known for their reliability unless it's the old old ones. My Astra has been a tank. I'd say it's been as reliable as my former Honda Civic.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
Side skirts
SRi top spoiler
SRi rear bumper skirt
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:45 PM   #25
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:

Yes, and it's tough to beat an automatic. especially the dual clutch Tremec unit the C8 uses.

Still...
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote