SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 03-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
Buckmeister
Buckmeister is on a distinguished road

Default Radio issues

2005 saturn vue, 3.5

Was my friends car, his radio did not work for two years and he lived with it just using a bluetooth speaker for some tunes and he never looked into it.

Now the vehicle is mine. When i picked it up, it needed a jump. Jumped the vehicle and the radio started workimg again! Only problem is the radio doesnt turn off, you can turn the volume down, but you cant turn the radio off.

Car was taken to advance auto, battery replaced with a nice 3 year warranty battery.

Radio has been working good for about a week now, i got in the car today after work, was driving home and noticed i couldnt get a clear signal in, and the radio volume wouldnt go up very loud also lots of static.

Sometimes for a second, the radio will come in clear, and then go back to acting up.

Suggestions or things to check?

If anyone has a guide for wiring up an aftermarket head unit for this vehicle let me know. Ive read in some places that it can screw with the security system.
Buckmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Radio issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckmeister View Post
2005 saturn vue, 3.5

Was my friends car, his radio did not work for two years and he lived with it just using a bluetooth speaker for some tunes and he never looked into it.

Now the vehicle is mine. When i picked it up, it needed a jump. Jumped the vehicle and the radio started workimg again! Only problem is the radio doesnt turn off, you can turn the volume down, but you cant turn the radio off.

Car was taken to advance auto, battery replaced with a nice 3 year warranty battery.

Radio has been working good for about a week now, i got in the car today after work, was driving home and noticed i couldnt get a clear signal in, and the radio volume wouldnt go up very loud also lots of static.

Sometimes for a second, the radio will come in clear, and then go back to acting up.

Suggestions or things to check?

If anyone has a guide for wiring up an aftermarket head unit for this vehicle let me know. Ive read in some places that it can screw with the security system.
Which radio does it have - Single CD w/pocket, CD/Tape combo, or MP3 radio (no pocket, teal dot-matrix display)? Also, do you have the AAS option (has factory-installed amp with subwoofer in the cargo area)?

I would first try removing the radio and checking the connections on the back.

An aftermarket radio won't affect the security system/Passlock.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 203K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 68K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:25 PM   #3
Buckmeister

No AAS, and its just the radio with the cd player.

I think first ill try playing a cd, that will help me figure out if it's a radio issue or a head unit/speaker issue.

This might sound stupid but where is the amplifer in my vehicle, or is it built into the head unit? That being said, do most after market ones come with a built in amp?
Old 03-26-2019, 08:36 AM   #4
Woodpecker
Woodpecker is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Amp is built into the head unit, and will be in an aftermarket unit as well. I'd suggest going to crutchfield.com. Go to "Find what fits your vehicle" under car audio. You can put a single din (thin) radio that will come with a mounting bracket that has a pocket, or put in a double din (will fill the whole area on the dash). I suggest crutchfield, because you will get all you need with the radio to install. You'll get the appropriate bracket, the wiring harness, and antenna adapter.

On the wiring harness, you'll take the harness part that comes with your new radio, and connect the wires to the harness that will plug into your Vue. You won't have to cut any factory wires. The wires are color coded, so it's literally hooking red to red, yellow to yellow, and so on.

Use this link to see all the ones you can use in an '05. https://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/Al...s.html?tp=5684

You'll also have to run the mic wire from the radio to your dash for the bluetooth for your phone, if you buy one equipped. It's easy, as there's lots of room. I always mount the mic on the steering column cover with the 2-sided tape supplied.

You will have to pull the radio bezel off, and it will look like the pic I provided. Crutchfield will get you step by step instructions to do it. It's really pretty easy once you get into it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radiocavity.JPG (104.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg g120702102-o.jpg (23.2 KB, 6 views)
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
Buckmeister

Thank you for the help. The cd player doesnt work, nothing happens when you press the cd button, and all speakers seem to be working properly, so i will go with a head unit. If this does not resolve the issue i will check into it deeper.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
JefferyC
JefferyC is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckmeister View Post
Thank you for the help. The cd player doesnt work, nothing happens when you press the cd button, and all speakers seem to be working properly, so i will go with a head unit. If this does not resolve the issue i will check into it deeper.
RPO code will tell what sort of radio you have.
JefferyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
JefferyC
JefferyC is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Dizzy Re: Radio issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyC View Post
RPO code will tell what sort of radio you have.
Sorry. UM7 am/fm stereo. U1C am/fm stereo, CD. US8 am/fm, stereo, cd, mp3, rds, eq. US9 am/fm, stereo, 6 disk CD, MP3. RDS, EQ. UXQ4 Base Four Speaker. U79 uplevel four speaker. WBM has amplifier under rear passenger seat.
JefferyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #8
Manospeed
Manospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura about

If you're interested in removing the stock radio/cd unit, here's a YouTube video showing you how to do it.

https://youtu.be/iN-Q5lIuL2M

Installing a more advanced after-market touchscreen unit shouldn't be that difficult either.
Manospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #9
Woodpecker
Woodpecker is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manospeed View Post
Installing a more advanced after-market touchscreen unit shouldn't be that difficult either.
It wasn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail (1).jpg (39.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (36.6 KB, 7 views)
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote