SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 12-27-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default Wrapping up clutch and tranny project

Found a foreign car mech who will install the new pilot bearing and shaft. Explained the details, he understands.

For the following bolts, do you install: dry, lightly oiled, with never-seize, with threadlocker?

Flywheel to crankshaft
bell housing to engine
8mm bolts holding the tranny case sections together

When installing tranny pieces with gaskets, do you use any sealant or just bolt down (shift tower and end cover)
97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: Wrapping up clutch and tranny project

You lost me on the foreign car mechanic. Where was he from?

I put all those bolts and gaskets on dry.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
Found a foreign car mech who will install the new pilot bearing and shaft. Explained the details, he understands.

For the following bolts, do you install: dry, lightly oiled, with never-seize, with threadlocker?

Flywheel to crankshaft __Locktite
bell housing to engine ___Locktite
8mm bolts holding the tranny case sections together___Lubed with ATF

When installing tranny pieces with gaskets, do you use any sealant or just bolt down (shift tower and end cover)__No sealant, install dry, there is only 1 for the selector tower.
Finding someone who will change that front bearing is good BUT that Locktite 620 is critical or the bearing assembly will walk out.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Yes sir, I explained the Loctite 620 and how the alum. case is fragile and how heat is needed to remove old shaft. He is familiar with the procedure.

Small shop, background in MB and Volvo and other over-engineered nightmares. He understands the concept with my Saturn

Thanks again.
08 Burgman 400

Old 12-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That should cover it all then.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL

Next, the AXLE SEALS.

From Haynes, it looks like you carefully pry out old ones, tap in new ones, maybe with help of a tool from AAP? Or do you press them out and in.

Any sealant required?
The new ones are Timkens from RA.

Thanks.
08 Burgman 400

Old 12-31-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I had my case split when I replaced them. I drove them out, flipped the case over, drove the new one in. I made a tool to drive them using a roll of flashing. I used no sealant. There are pictures in my thread.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=230898&page=9
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:21 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There is a snap ring holding in the left hand seal. Supposedly the FSM wants a very small thin bead of RTV in the corner of the seat. It is not required with quality seals but if metal to metal then do the RTV. Thin-no squeeze out thin.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:55 PM   #9
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL

PROGRESS....

Tapped out old, and installed new stronger Diff Pin. Old one was intact! 190,000 miles! A life without spinning wheels in snow, or jackrabbit starts etc.

Installed 2 axle seals. The only way I could seat the larger one was to put the case in the oven (at 175) and put the seal in the freezer. It seemed to take a tremendous amount of force to install. A really frustrating step. Yes I supported the back of the case when I set it.

Assembly tomorrow, high of 54 finally. Too cold in the garage now to think straight.
08 Burgman 400

Old 01-06-2018, 12:52 AM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Did you take out the wire ring before removing the old one?
Old 01-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #11
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL

Yes, removed the large C ring before removing larger axle seal.
Had to tap around circumference of new seal, to seat the C ring.
08 Burgman 400

Old 01-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Just checking as the seal can be extracted without removal if it is the round wire ring type. They are easy to install if the case is on the bench in summer time. National brand does fit relatively easy.