SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 05-21-2010, 01:44 AM   #1
samjack56
samjack56 is on a distinguished road

Default 1994 sc2

So I picked up a POS 5 speed Saturn SC2 '94 from a friend of mine for $200. It has 160k on the odometer but my friend just put a newly rebuilt engine (that had 60k on it before the rebuild) and a brand new clutch in 2k miles ago. I've had the oil changed very recently, put in a new windshield since the old one had spider-webbed across the driver's side, and bought a new radiator for it. Next I'm going to grab some tires..

A little back story: My friend had received this car from a girl back in 2005 in high school. Her step mom had been driving it and there was some kind of grudge with her and she had just gotten a new car, so my friend was given this car for free. But just after the step mom hit a deer - the front left quarter panel and hood were replaced from a green car, the original color of the car was purple and my friend thought it was a good idea to spray paint the car matte black.

Needless to say, it's ugly. Pretty funny to watch people's reactions to see a white guy in his 20's driving such a pos. However, it's quite clean inside and in the next couple months I will be sanding down the car and painting it a dark blue.

This car has been more of fun little car to drive than any other's I have so far - it's like a little go-cart. It gets up and goes, corners well, it feels very responsive. I guess I can start somewhat of a project thread and we'll see how the painting goes. Anyone with any experience would be very much appreciated as this is the first time I'll have done a paint job on a car. I've got a compressor, a couple paint guns at a friend's, and a shop to do the work in. As far as I've seen online, it should be relatively cheap as a DIY project and I'm looking forward to it.
samjack56 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
samjack56

Default Re: 1994 sc2

Is there a way to edit my post? I was wondering if a wider tire would be a good idea on this car. I believe stock is 195/60R15 and it's pretty wide already. I was looking at General Altimax HP's on tirerack.com my dad has bought tires there a few times and hasn't had problems yet. I'll put up pictures as soon as I have 15 posts.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

There's a 15-minute time limit to edit your posts, so once you submit, the clock starts ticking

Most folks just say it's easier and cheaper to find body pieces that match your car's color in a junkyard and replace the panels. www.car-part.com is a great resource and depending on your location, there may be other recommendations for local pick and pulls. Hood and front fenders are particularly easy pieces to replace. Low Saturn's website is a good resource.

I think richpin has a video on it as well

not positive, but I think 205 is as wide as you want to go. there are many tire threads around.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjack56 View Post

Pretty funny to watch people's reactions to see a white guy in his 20's driving such a pos.
um, that's what MOST white guys in their 20's drive; it's all they can afford. what reactions are you getting?
for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
samjack56

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosaturns View Post
um, that's what MOST white guys in their 20's drive; it's all they can afford. what reactions are you getting?
How many sc2's do you see around spray painted matte black with a green hood? Lots of staring.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
samjack56

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
There's a 15-minute time limit to edit your posts, so once you submit, the clock starts ticking

Most folks just say it's easier and cheaper to find body pieces that match your car's color in a junkyard and replace the panels. is a great resource and depending on your location, there may be other recommendations for local pick and pulls. Hood and front fenders are particularly easy pieces to replace. Low Saturn's website is a good resource.

I think richpin has a video on it as well

not positive, but I think 205 is as wide as you want to go. there are many tire threads around.
Thanks for the links and info. I will be painting the car myself though. I want to do a color they didn't come in and I'm kind of looking forward to the project.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
Derek McNelly
Advanced Member
Derek McNelly is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjack56 View Post
How many sc2's do you see around spray painted matte black with a green hood? Lots of staring.
Matte black? Alright, I'm a fan of matte black (if done properly), but with a green hood is a little ghetto.

I say paint it. Not like you could make it any worse. The Saturn community is a superstious one, but I'd go for it. It'll be a fun project.

I'm sure that someone will make mention of flex additives, but every paint shop I've talked to about it has made it out to be a sort of voodoo thing except in situations where there will be an extreme amount of flex. I dunno for sure, just what I was told.
Derek McNelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

saturn recommended flex additive for the clear coat, but said it wasn't required for the base (someone posted that a while back - from the Mods forum maybe?)

Looking forward to your pics... I have a few spots that might be buffed out, but may consider painting eventually. I replaced my cracked fender with another silver one (the previous owner of my car's duct-tape bodywork - see avatar - was more ghetto than your mismatched colors ) but it's not a perfect match.

you may want to check out NGK Tech's recent post - can't remember if it was in Mods or Tech. He's doing the "$50 roll on" paint technique, but using a Wagner sprayer because it's more humorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly
The Saturn community is a superstious one
(throws salt over the shoulder to ward off the bad luck )
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
samjack56

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
saturn recommended flex additive for the clear coat, but said it wasn't required for the base (someone posted that a while back - from the Mods forum maybe?)

Looking forward to your pics... I have a few spots that might be buffed out, but may consider painting eventually. I replaced my cracked fender with another silver one (the previous owner of my car's duct-tape bodywork - see avatar - was more ghetto than your mismatched colors ) but it's not a perfect match.
Thanks for the paint tip! Speaking of duct tape, I had forgotten the sunroof was duct taped on the driver's side since it was leaking lol. The sunroof motor died and window wasn't quite closed all the way, it looks like it is but there's a very slight gap. I'm never going to use it so my sunroof is permanently sealed and will never open again.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
samjack56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
Matte black? Alright, I'm a fan of matte black (if done properly), but with a green hood is a little ghetto.

I say paint it. Not like you could make it any worse. The Saturn community is a superstious one, but I'd go for it. It'll be a fun project.

I'm sure that someone will make mention of flex additives, but every paint shop I've talked to about it has made it out to be a sort of voodoo thing except in situations where there will be an extreme amount of flex. I dunno for sure, just what I was told.
This matte black was done back in 2005 by a kid in highschool. Needless to say it's not holding up too well - wearing thin in some spots and scratches everywhere.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
samjack56

Alright so finally 15 posts.. Here's when I picked it up:

The spoiler has since been removed due to a bolt having been broken off the right side at some point.

A little goofing off:

The color I would like to shoot for:

Old 05-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #12
samjack56

Lol, my car is so beautiful that it's left everyone speachless. Yes, this is a cry for attenion.. and yes I'm really that bored right now.