SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 12-06-2015, 05:37 AM   #1
Packard
Packard is a jewel in the roughPackard is a jewel in the roughPackard is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL1
Default step by step guide to install timing chain sl1 1995 plz

car type 1995 sl1 saturn sedan 4 door 1.9l Job timing chain.

Im searching on web for timing chain replacement from start to finish in the car . can it be done from the side is there enough room. Will a metric set of tools be about all needed? i have 3/16 bit too for the locking of the cam sprocket . What do i need to get all that accessory out of the way. How long does a job take. Since im a driveway mech i dont have lift to do a full engine removal but im handy on tools if i get the right information.
I should have no trouble . What orientation do the sprockets and the crank need to be locked in place during chain installation?
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: step by step guide to install timing chain sl1 1995 plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard View Post
car type 1995 sl1 saturn sedan 4 door 1.9l Job timing chain.

Im searching on web for timing chain replacement from start to finish in the car . .?
THere are service manuals online- http://alldatadiy.com/
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Crazy people have done it from the side and say it's not that bad of a job, me having an engine hoist says that thing's coming out because I can almost palm a basketball and the space provided between the cover and frame rail is designed for small people at best...

Chain tensioner: 168-in/lbs
Crankshaft: 151-ft/lbs (you'll need about 5x that much to get it off...)
Chain guides: 19-ft/lbs
Front Cover (perimeter and top center): 22-ft/lbs
Front Cover (lower center): 89-in/lbs
Trio of engine mount studs: 89-in/lbs
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Timing Cover Removal.pdf (79.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf Timing Chain Install.pdf (131.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf Timing Chain alignment marks.pdf (17.1 KB, 9 views)
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:08 PM   #4
JBushman
JBushman is just really niceJBushman is just really niceJBushman is just really niceJBushman is just really nice

1994 SL

Would echo the idea of pulling the motor to do it. I just did mine and I think it would be REALLY hard to try to get the cover off, get all the old gasket cleaned off and get the new cover on with that RTV on it, without smearing it all over the place and messing up the seal.
JBushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:06 AM   #5
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

I agree with fetchitfido that pulling out the engine to do the job would be the easiest way if you have a hoist and are familiar with engine removal.

However, I have removed the timing cover twice now on my SL2. The first time, I replaced the timing set. And I will agree, that the space in there is very tight. But that doesn't mean it is impossible.

First off, the two sources I used for instruction were my alldatadiy acct (referenced by billysvue) and the Haynes manual (found at my local library). Just think things through before you do them and take your time. A good metric set of tools is needed. Most fasteners require just a 3/8" drive ratchet and a variety of sockets. A small 8mm wrench is needed to removed one of the 4 bolts that hold the end of the oil pan to the timing cover. The other 3 can be removed with a small 1/4" ratchet and 8mm socket.

Probably the biggest challenge is properly cleaning the mating surfaces of the timing cover and head/block/oil pan, and then managing to apply the right amount of RTV and getting it back together without smearing it all over. To ensure ample room, REMOVE THE MOTOR MOUNT BASE. There are 7 screws total I believe, and three of them are accessed from inside the wheel base, so the plastic wheel cowling must be removed.

Here are some helpful references:

DoSumpthin video

My posts with pictures:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=56

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=59
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

I've done the timing chain in the car and it's really not that bad. I'd do it in the car before I pulled the engine to do just a timing chain.

Couple of things to keep in mind... don't forget the bolt in the center of the cover, take the water pump pulley off, having someone there to hand tools back and forth is a big help, plan of going from under it to on top a bunch of times, be very careful not to round any of the bolts off on the cover (use a 6pnt socket, etc

Also remember that after the timing cover is off that you will need to do the oil system prime.

The top gear does take the 3/16 drill bit for position and the lower has a mark that aligns with a mark on the block. The mark is at the 12 o'clock position or straight up.

Good Luck
Highmile
'95 SL1 588k and counting
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...ochtchain.html

IIRC, you won't have to pull the PS pump for the SOHC
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
marko16
marko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura about

If you leave the motor in its helpful to remove the engine mount bracket. The bolts go through the wheel well. It really creates space especially when getting the timing cover back on.
marko16 is offline   Reply With Quote