SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2021, 09:43 PM   #1
stlmusic
stlmusic is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Should my next step be replacing the BCM?

I'll try to make this brief.... I have a 2003 VUE 3.0L with 325,xxx miles (original owner) Last week while driving my security light started randomly flashing. I noticed my interior and dash light, if manual turned on, also turn on and off with the flashing security light. Sometimes the gauges will also drop down for a few seconds. The "check engine" and "service" light will also turn on and off. There are no stored codes. All exterior lights are unaffected and the car runs fine. When the car is cold it is fine. Then after a bit of running the BCM starts freaking out with those lights. If I turn the car off, the interior lights continue to flash. Once the car sits for a while it goes back to normal. If I attempt to set the alarm too soon after turning the car off, the alarm will get triggered. If I wait long enough, I can set the alarm and it can sit for days and never go off.

I opened the BCM looking for something obvious or hope to maybe spot a cold solder joint. Some of the chips had a wavy appearance on the top like a coating started to melt. Otherwise everything looked fine. Couldn't cause or stop the problem with wire movement tests. Never felt any warmth from the BCM.

I checked the powers and ground at the BCM hoping to see it losing power but it was steady at around 14.1. I checked it with a meter and not a source that would draw some amps so there is always a possibility there is a power issue but it's looks unlikely. All wiring and pins look new.

One more thing has happened and this one has me puzzled. Two different times when this was happening, I turned off the car for a few minutes. When I restarted, I didn't have power steering for a few seconds before it started working. As far as I can tell from looking at electrical schematics, the steering is in no way part of the BCM. They don't share power, grounds, or circuits. Could be just a coincidence but if there is a connection, I don't have the knowledge to determine if it's related.

A local shop says they can program a new BCM for $150. The new BCM from rockauto is $230 for GM part. Should I shoot the parts cannon at this or is there something I'm missing or could test?
stlmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links