SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 11-04-2008, 02:13 AM   #1
Cortana
Cortana is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Wrench Suddenly capped at 4300rpm... but only when not in gear?

Ok, this has me baffled.

Friday: I drove home normally. Nothing odd happened. The car ran fine.
Saturday: Removed defective aftermarket car deck for warranty work, replaced with the Saturn original CD player that it came with. Did not drive
Sunday: Did not drive.

Monday: Car turns over normally. engine shoots up to normal starting RPM then falls down to idle... and completely falls through it without pausing, stalls. I figure I just did something dumb like let off the ignition too early, so I start it again. Same thing. I start it once more, this time holding down the accelerator while I start it. Engine turns over, shoots up to ~4300RPM, then seems to hit a glass ceiling and drops down to ~4000RPM, then flutters back and forth as if it was hitting a governer. Engine runs rough, loud.

I let it settle down for a second, suspecting an engine flood, then slowly hit the gas. It raises normally all the way up to 4300RPM, where it once again reaches that point, then falls to 4000RPM. The more gas I apply at this point, the faster it oscillates between these two values, as if it's being held back. It really feels like the governor is kicking in.

At this point I'm thinking maybe something's just caught in the fuel filter, so I drive it around the block. It seems to have normal, power, and in gear it goes all the way to the red line without the least bit of hesitation, but is loud and feels rough (perhaps just because it was flooded?). I give the engine a good workout and warmup, park it, and check... it still seems to hit the glass ceiling of ~4300RPM.

Color me confused.

I got a ride to work, and experimented more later. The roughness seems to have cleared up mostly, but it still sounds louder than normal in the 3000+ range (This might just be a, exhaust issue that developed at the same time). I think it's a bit rougher than normal, but I could be imaging it.

Here's a bit more info to chew on.
  • The aftermarket deck I installed myself. it's a JVC. The original wiring harness was not hacked or altered, so all I had to do was remove the old deck, remove the harness, and plug the factory one back in.
  • I have a CD changer and sub installed. Neither of these are hooked up to the factory deck. The wiring was pulled through into the passenger side kick panel. None of it is hooked into the car. I've already tried moving the wires to ensure nothing's shorting or grounding out.
  • The only code being thrown is P0442, which has been with the car since I purchased it.
  • I noticed the SECURITY light was on. This didn't really click until later. The factory stereo works fine though, and the alarm/etc seems to be functioning normal as well. It might be because I'd pulled the ABS fuse while it was on for test driving (The ABS kicks in all the time, so I keep the fuse out,... but I put it back in to dump codes so I don't have to sift through 20 codes telling me I pulled the fuse)
2001 Saturn SC2, 100k miles, DOHC. No mods, engine looks clean, no signs of damage or wear on the spark wires, ignition module is clean, oil was changes 1200 miles ago, oil level is good, no leaks, all fluids are normal. The only thing remotely wrong under the hood that I saw is the belt is squeaking.

Does anyone have some insight on this? I'm afraid the ECU might be going off the deep end.
Cortana is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2008, 02:26 AM   #2
dorisSL
Master Member
dorisSL is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default Re: Suddenly capped at 4300rpm... but only when not in gear?

~4k is the rev limiter, which only kicks in while you are not moving. it's a "feature"
1995 SL, born 12/23/94, manual, WAI 190,500, "Doris"
(I'm Ben, the car is Doris)

you can't mulch at those speeds man, that's too fast
dorisSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:39 AM   #3
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

+1. This has nothing to do with the CD player

Replace your ECTS. That is probably why your car stalled the first time.
Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
tehwarrior
tehwarrior is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

I had something like this happening to me and it turned out to be my IACV, you should check this out.
94 SC2
tehwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehwarrior View Post
I had something like this happening to me and it turned out to be my IACV, you should check this out.
No, they shouldn't "check it out" because it will do nothing for the symptom described. The OP is hitting the rev limiter, which is built into the S Series so stupid people don't sit there redlining the car in neutral or Park. Completely and totally normal operation for the car. Play with the IAC valve all day, it isn't going to make a bit of difference for what the OP is describing.
Certified Saturn Technician
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Cortana

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
Completely and totally normal operation for the car.
So I should be concerned instead that prior to this, the limiter wasn't working?

While troubleshooting idle issues earlier in the year I would frequently push it up well past 4500rpm out of gear for testing (It had a habit of "crashing" through the idle point and stalling, or to a near-stall). This is the first time I've ever seen it hit the limiter.

EDIT: Also, the car is manual. I seem to have forgot to mention that.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
dorisSL
Master Member
dorisSL is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

it should hit the limiter whenever you are not moving. if you are moving, it should not.

you can sometimes get a little past if you really hammer, but it'll then drop down
1995 SL, born 12/23/94, manual, WAI 190,500, "Doris"
(I'm Ben, the car is Doris)

you can't mulch at those speeds man, that's too fast
dorisSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

TO REITERATE:

Its a neutral rev-limiter, capped at approximately 4000RPM, to prevent damage to the powertrain.
Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1
FrozenPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
tehwarrior
tehwarrior is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
No, they shouldn't "check it out" because it will do nothing for the symptom described. The OP is hitting the rev limiter, which is built into the S Series so stupid people don't sit there redlining the car in neutral or Park. Completely and totally normal operation for the car. Play with the IAC valve all day, it isn't going to make a bit of difference for what the OP is describing.
I'm sorry Certified Saturn Technician, I missed understod what he was asking, you don't have to get so upset....my bad.
94 SC2
tehwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #10
Cortana

2001 SC2

Well, the limiter problem is more or less figured out now.

I'm guessing the limiter is based on data from the wheel speed sensors? If so, I know at least one of them is bad on my car (The ABS kicks in abnormally), which could explain why I've not seen this limiter before, and now it's once again gone.

As for the starting issue, it's not returned since, but I'm going to run some fuel injector cleaner through on a tank of high octane gas just to be on the safe side.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

The rev limiter is based on the VSS. It can't use the ABS wheel speed sensors, because cars without ABS don't have them.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:49 AM   #12
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortana View Post
It really feels like the governor is kicking in.
you're a smart one, aren't ya?

and i thought it was a little overboard for a saturn engineer to even think that somebody would be dumb enough to floor it in neutral on start up and that everybody would know not to do that, just naturally. you've just lowered the bar for all of us. thanks!

you have, however, discovered the neutral rev limiter on the car. congratulations...

s3aturnr
"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #13
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortana View Post
I let it settle down for a second, suspecting an engine flood, then slowly hit the gas. It raises normally all the way up to 4300RPM, where it once again reaches that point, then falls to 4000RPM. The more gas I apply at this point, the faster it oscillates between these two values, as if it's being held back. It really feels like the governor is kicking in.
my Saturn S-Series Owner's Handbook says: The maximum rpm is limited in "P" (Park) or "N" (Neutral) to 4000 rpm by your vehicle's computer. This is to prevent damage.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #14
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

BTW, no-load reving like that will do damage to the engine if you do it enough. I would suggest not repeatedly testing the rev limiter.
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #15
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

the real damage happens when you're revving to 4000 rpm then drop the clutch on a manual or neutral slam an automatic the oe firehawks don't care for that sort of abuse.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:11 AM   #16
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
the real damage happens when you're revving to 4000 rpm then drop the clutch on a manual or neutral slam an automatic the oe firehawks , diff pin, and various other parts don't care for that sort of abuse.
fixed.
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote