SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 08-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
Cortana
Cortana is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default Hit a deer, need some cheap body parts

It was foggy as hell, and a deer runs out in front of me. Thankfully I wasn't going that fast, but the DS front quarter panel is a write off, the tearoff bracket to the DS mirror is broken, and there are a couple dents in the hood. THe wheel well is also all kinds of borked due to the quarter panel being smashed, but I think I can fix that.

Pics to come after work.

Anyway, anyone know a place that sells cheap quarter panels? I can probably pop the hood dents, but the quarter panel is beyond repair. There's a bit of damage to the corner of the bumper but I think that's repairable; might be handy to source one just in case though.

Also, the plastic mounting bracket that the door screws into the mirror broke, can that be replaced without replacing the whole mirror?

I'm going to hunt some junkyards in the area, but most of the ones around here don't have anything newer than 98s, so online sources are helpful

Thanks

Last edited by Cortana; 08-10-2008 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Clarification
Cortana is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: Hit a deer, need some cheap body parts

Try this online source: www.car-part.com

Gives you a full list of yards across the U.S and Canada.

Replaced my right front qrtr panel for $100 on my 94 SC1. Held in by 10 MM bolts.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Cortana

2001 SC2

Thanks. I'll have to replace the mirror, but I can source one cheap off eBay. The fender's proving difficult.

Also, there's a metal strip that seems to be part of the bumper that's badly bent. Does anyone sell just that piece? Or is it specifically part of the bumper?

Pics:

Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortana View Post
Thanks. I'll have to replace the mirror, but I can source one cheap off eBay. The fender's proving difficult.

Also, there's a metal strip that seems to be part of the bumper that's badly bent. Does anyone sell just that piece? Or is it specifically part of the bumper?

Pics:

I couldn't see your pictures...probably cause I am at worked and they are blocked. The bracket can be bought from Saturn, but I don't know how much it would be.

What year/model is your car?
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

^^^^^ Ditto. Here's what our blocker said:

Quote:
This category includes URLs that either provide instructions for or identify methods to promote, encourage, or provide the skills to commit illegal or criminal activities. These include bomb-making, phreaking (breaching phone security or phone service theft), consumer scams and fraud, terrorism, evading law enforcement, stalking, lock picking, passing urine tests and selling pirated material, commercial software, music, videos, or fake IDs.
Why not just boost 'em to your gallery here on SF?

BTW, you won't find that fender under "quarter panel" in any search.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
Cortana

2001 SC2

yeah, I searched it both ways, quarter panel is used heavily around here, but fender seems more generally accepted. Maybe I'm just in a weird part of town

I'm going to try to bend the bracket before replacing it, worst case I have to drive for a few more days with a damaged/missing fender.

Why is it I can find fenders for the SL/SW everywhere but nobody stocks the SC?
Old 08-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You will find that the most expensive fender is the right front SC fender. They must have broke the mold after that finished the run.

Try here for a used one:

http://www.saturnautosalvage.com/

The site seems to be down right at the moment. They are in Kansas and will ship parts without killing you. You get the outer fender and the liner for the same price.

The bent bracket is a front bumper part and is called Plate, Outer Side L or R
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
You will find that the most expensive fender is the right front SC fender. They must have broke the mold after that finished the run.
Um, maybe it's 'cuz a disproportionate number of coupe drivers tend to, erm, off-road their cars on the curb (right) side, and have, eh, meetings with mailboxes, utility poles, etc.

Car-part.com has two PAGES of the driver's side fender you need, Cortana. At least 4-5 of them mention RED in the comments column. Getting one the same color will save you a bundle on paint. The fender weighs probably 15 lb tops, and is easily smaller than UPS's maximum. When you call the yards and they say "we don't ship sheet metal", just explain to them that it's NOT steel, it's plastic, and easily shippable for $20-ish.

Mirror is a unit part. I found non-busted driver's side mirrors extremely hard to find. Continue scouring car-part.com, or try eBay.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
Ohming
Ohming is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1995 SC1

Our 97 SC2 was smacked by a deer last fall and did considerable damage. Same deer hair stuck in the fender crack senario as yours. I used car-part.com and is a great site. However; none of the yards would ship the fender UPS because they claimed it would get broke, and the door was impractical to ship UPS. All my parts had to go motor frieght, but the cost wasn't too bad.
95 SC2 A/T
97 SC2 M/T
Ohming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
jacob_tamblin
jacob_tamblin is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

I have a friend who has all the body panels from an 02 for $350... they are black... if you're interested let me know via pm....
'95 SC2 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3211736
*Two-Tone Red & Black Interior
*CAI
*New '01 Drivetrain
*Pyles 6.5" Speakers & 2 12" Audiobahn Subs
*Manual Coolant Fan Switch
jacob_tamblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Um, maybe it's 'cuz a disproportionate number of coupe drivers tend to, erm, off-road their cars on the curb (right) side, and have, eh, meetings with mailboxes, utility poles, etc.
Well, the car I bought had definitely smacked something that based on the physical evidence looked to be one of those, white painted, don't drive on the grass things. Physical evidence indicated that the impact took out the tire, blew the seal out of the strut, and cracked the fender. My suspicion was that the previous pilot made a right turn that was a tad too tight. You can get a great bargain on a plastic car with no structural damage, just cosmetic. Repair took about 5 hours total, including replacing both struts.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:35 PM   #12
Cortana

2001 SC2

The old mirror was re-mountable with a bit of drill action (Tacky but functional), but it wobbles between the black mounting plate and red mirror housing. Oh well. Got a new one for $35 on ebay.

I've mailed a few yards for shipping quotes on the fender. Thanks for the advice. Btw, to anyone else looking at that site, be sure to read the damage code guide ( http://car-part.com/damage.htm ), I didn't realize a few yards I emailed were listing damaged parts
Old 08-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
calirider
calirider is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan

http://www.picknpull.com/

Look for one in your area, very good prices and fun to rip other peoples old cars apart.
2004 Ion1 2.2 DOHC, Aisin 5 Speed Auto with 146,500 Miles

2004 Chevy D-Max/Ally with 114,000 Miles
calirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
toadson
toadson is on a distinguished road

If you live near St Louis, there was a red SC2 like yours at Pick N Pull last time I went. I have no idea where you live though, and chances are you don't live close to St Louis
toadson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #15
KevinVarnes
KevinVarnes has a spectacular aura aboutKevinVarnes has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
1995 SW2

Another good place to search for parts is copartfinder.com The yards show pictures of the car you are buying parts from which is beneficial if you are looking for body parts (better than "blue" listed as a color on car-part.com).
'85 Ford LTD Squire
'89 Cougar XR-7 5 Speed
'95 T-Bird SC 5 Speed
'97 T-Bird LX
'91 Crown Vic P72 351W
'98 Saturn SW2 5 Speed (wife's car)
KevinVarnes is offline   Reply With Quote