SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 08-06-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
gibvel
gibvel is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default Flashplayer ads

Is there a way to turn off the animation in the Adobe Flasyplayer ads on this site, (I guess I mean in my computer for just specific sites)? Those things slow the stupid computer down.

I'm using Firefox BTW.

Thanks
gibvel is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Flashplayer ads

Tools -> Addons -> Plugins

Click on one of the items that says flash (either this PC doesn't have it installed or it's hiding) and then hit the disable button. Then close all Firefox windows and start it again. No more flash.

Also, goto addons.mozilla.org. Then search for AdBlock Plus. Get that, get another one that makes it easier to block flash objects (can't rememer what it's called). Don't get the "filterset.g" thing, it's not worth the d/l time. AdBlock Plus will block 90%+ of the ad's while still letting you play flash games and view youtube (unlike the above suggestion, which won't let you do anything Flash related until you re-enable the plugin).
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a manual
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
groingo
groingo is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=gibvel;1493317][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="black"]Is there a way to turn off the animation in the Adobe Flasyplayer ads on this site, (I guess I mean in my computer for just specific sites)? Those things slow the stupid computer down.

I'm using Firefox BTW.

Just go to the Firefox add-ons and get Flashblock, it lets you turn Flash ads off and on when you want, I agree, the Flash adds on this site really slow it down.
94 Saturn SW1 (Cash for Clunkers Reject....no kidding)
96 SL2 (Rescued)
groingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
gibvel

2001 SC2

Bless you!! Thanks, guys!!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
surprisinguy
surprisinguy is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibvel View Post
Bless you!! Thanks, guys!!
Adblock Plus must work on the ads on this site because I didnt even know what you were talking about "Flash Ads" cause I've never seen one here.
Firefox/Adblock Plus.... The absolute minimum for surfing.
surprisinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
blueknigh7
blueknigh7 has a spectacular aura aboutblueknigh7 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

While this does work (even I've used Adblock Plus before), consider disabling it for this site.

Advertising helps pay for this site (and may others) and its forums. Advertising works by ad views. Blocking the ad = no ad views -> less revenue for saturnfans.

I know I've answered many of my questions via this forum and saved thousands of dollars on labor costs (over a grand alone on my self-clutch job!) when working on my car, and its an invaluable resource to me. I dunno what I'd do without the site....maybe get rid of the Saturn?

Just a thought, and my 2 cents Maybe you could put the money saved on car parts into a new computer fund? Virtually anything you buy these days (even the $300 desktops) will run ads without breaking a sweat.
blueknigh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

I second the recommendation for Adblock Plus. I see internet ads pretty much nowhere nowadays, and subscription to any of the most popular automatic blacklists also blocks a wide array of other internet nasties like drive-by downloads, redirect scams, etc.

I don't consider myself much of a loss for internet ad revenue anyway; I spend exactly zero dollars on products purchased through any form of Internet advertising, and I don't plan to change that anytime soon. I purchase based on need and research, not on impulse and advertising.
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
gibvel

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknigh7 View Post
While this does work (even I've used Adblock Plus before), consider disabling it for this site.

Advertising helps pay for this site (and may others) and its forums. Advertising works by ad views. Blocking the ad = no ad views -> less revenue for saturnfans.

I know I've answered many of my questions via this forum and saved thousands of dollars on labor costs (over a grand alone on my self-clutch job!) when working on my car, and its an invaluable resource to me. I dunno what I'd do without the site....maybe get rid of the Saturn?

Just a thought, and my 2 cents Maybe you could put the money saved on car parts into a new computer fund? Virtually anything you buy these days (even the $300 desktops) will run ads without breaking a sweat.
I understand that and I know that ads on the site have some value, however when I have to wait 30 sec. to 1 min. before I can pull down the "mark all posts read" button, EVERY SINGLE TIME I GO TO A FORUM, because the stupid Pizza Hut ad takes a min. to finish it's stupid flash animation then that's too darn much.

Keep in mind, I'm only disabling the ads with the stupid flash animation. There are other ads that come up just fine without animation. Maybe the ad makers should wise up and can the animation that would make me happy!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknigh7
Virtually anything you buy these days (even the $300 desktops) will run ads without breaking a sweat.
A super-computer won't help much if you're on dial-up, like 40% of the US I'm on satellite myself, still relatively slow compared to DSL/cable/3G, none of which are available/reliable where I'm at.

+1 on hating flash, even when using someone's high speed connection. It provides no value IMO and is used by lazy advertising companies/ web developers as a substitute for good, clever, informative advertising (all "flash," no substance )
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by surprisinguy View Post
Adblock Plus must work on the ads on this site because I didnt even know what you were talking about "Flash Ads" cause I've never seen one here.
Firefox/Adblock Plus.... The absolute minimum for surfing.
If you ever see the pizza hut or the pepboys ad, you'll see a flash ad in action.
97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
surprisinguy

1999 SL1
Idea Re: Flashplayer ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
If you ever see the pizza hut or the pepboys ad, you'll see a flash ad in action.
Oh, I've seen flash ads before and they're nothing but a pia! And on the note of turning on ads just for this site... thanks but I'll pass. I've bought several items from the sponsor here and I never click through ads ever. Probably cause I hardly ever ever see any.
oh and if you want to get rid of difference items on a website you never use or just dont like looking at try this extension
Remove It Permanently
Old 08-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknigh7 View Post

This is why I wish Charlie would create a separate "Sponsor links" page. That way, if you want to visit, say, RockAuto, and want Charlie to get the link credit / ad revenue for it, you go via that link, rather than just your bookmark or hand-keying it. This would be a plus for Charlie as well, as he'd know better which sponsors people actually patronize. Call it "user-directed marketing". And yes, before you ask, I requested it once in the Suggestion Box. Other forum sites sponsored by makers/sellers of related products have sponsor links pages, and some even have sponsor-based forums, where someone from the sponsoring enterprise with a little time on her/his hands surfs and answers questions and joins discussions about their products.

Yeah, I understand the site needing ad revenue, and I like the idea of getsaturnparts, RockAuto, etc., supporting it, and that's why I do business with them. But I'll never follow a Pizza Hut banner ad link, or the Mormons, or Verizon, etc; why should I have to look at it, and esp. why should I have to wait for it to load?

Last edited by madpogue; 08-07-2009 at 01:44 PM.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Yeah, I understand the site needing ad revenue, and I like the idea of getsaturnparts, RockAuto, etc., supporting it, and that's why I do business with them. But I'll never follow a Pizza Hut banner ad link, or the Mormons, or Verizon, etc; why should I have to look at it, and esp. why should I have to wait for it to load?
Same could actually be said for the spammy/misleading Google ads. I've heard of people getting ripped off through them.
97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #14
surprisinguy

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
This is why I wish Charlie would create a separate "Sponsor links" page.
Exactly!! I'm a member of a few forums on Delphi for my bike that do that very thing. And believe me they're clicked many times every day, with everyone's referrals. And it's hard for everyone to remember them all. They could be grouped into different categories too.