SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 10-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
agroom
agroom has a spectacular aura aboutagroom has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Replacing rear shocks; any other suspension components I should replace with it?

As the title says, I'm replacing the rear shock absorbers in my 2002 2.2L Vue w/ 195k miles. I bought the vehicle in 2008 with 105k miles, and last weekend replaced several front-end suspension components (struts, mounts, LCA, ball joints & links) and found everything was still original factory parts.

Assuming the same to be true for the rear, are there any other components I should consider/be replacing with the shocks? I can't say I notice anything specifically "off" with the rear suspensions though either, other than after replacing the front components I can feel how bad the back needs it too now. So ideally I'd just like to order and install everything in one shot.
agroom is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Replacing rear shocks; any other suspension components I should replace with it?

swaybar bushings and endlinks
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
agroom

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Replacing rear shocks; any other suspension components I should replace with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
swaybar bushings and endlinks
I was definitely think the end links myself. I noticed in another thread this morning that Saturn changed the size of the front swaybar bushings. Do you know if the same is true for the rear? Or should I just buy new clamps anyway?
Old 10-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
DavidBo
DavidBo will become famous soon enough

2002 VUE 2.2L

I had no problem replacing the rear sway bar bushings using factory parts. The rear links are actually plastic () and straightforward to replace. You'll need an allen wrench, not sure what size, to keep the stud from turning while you remove/install the nut. A Gear-Wrench type ratchet is highly recommended for this.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by agroom View Post
I was definitely think the end links myself. I noticed in another thread this morning that Saturn changed the size of the front swaybar bushings. Do you know if the same is true for the rear? Or should I just buy new clamps anyway?
YOur question should cause no worry if you just measure the OD of the SB.

CLamps? YOu mean the bracket that surrounds the bushing? COmes with, if buying aftermarket poly bushings( Energy SUspension, Prothane, Poly Perfromance).
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
talonsaab
talonsaab is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

When I did mine both rear springs were broken at the bottom at a few inches from the end. Appears to be from corrosion. I had no idea until I changed them out, so it didn't affect much. I used aftermarket springs and the alignment need serious work afterwards (including a few days to settle in). I also had one sway bar link broken.
talonsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
agroom

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonsaab View Post
When I did mine both rear springs were broken at the bottom at a few inches from the end. Appears to be from corrosion. I had no idea until I changed them out, so it didn't affect much. I used aftermarket springs and the alignment need serious work afterwards (including a few days to settle in). I also had one sway bar link broken.
Do you think the the alignment issues were from the broken springs or is it normal to need an alignment after replacing rear springs/shocks? I asked the mechanic who did my front alignment if I'd need an alignment after doing rear and he said no, else i would have waited till I did my rear.

One other question: Do the rear springs also need to be compressed to change out the shocks? The rear setup looks a bit different, but I'm assuming it's the same.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
FINCH
FINCH is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Just a FYI, the parts shop i go to that gives me parts at cost, they said there are 4 different diameters to the sway bar to get the correct bushings.

Napa said there was only 1.

I suggest you measure.
FINCH is offline   Reply With Quote