saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 07-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Jhoe
Jhoe is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
1999 SC1
Default Reverse slam x2

Hello, I have a 99 SC1 that is currently having (my best guess) the reverse slam problem.

-Just bought the car real cheap because it wouldn't shift into reverse without rev'ing the engine up. Car would drive just fine otherwise.
-Went to the salvage yard and picked up another valve body.
-Installed the 'new' valve body only to find that the car will not shift into reverse and has a hard time going over 50+ mph. Floored it, no down shift then RPMs jumping, just slowly climbing in speed.

I backed the car out of the garage by rev'ing to 3-4k+ rpms, the car only crawled out of the garage, my pet turtle Speedy had time to get out of the way!

Parked in the garage, I found that I hear an electrical (buzzing) sound, constantly, when I shift into 2nd. I hear the buzz initially when I shift into 3rd and 'Drive' but it goes away. I hear it twice when I put the car into drive, two short buzzes, roughly a second apart and a second in length. Reverse does the same as drive.

I am finished for the evening, I will be taking apart the previous valve body tomorrow (hopefully if I have time, dive trip planned for the weekend) and testing the reverse/2nd gear solenoid for 4.7-5.2Ω.

Does this problem sound like something other than a valve body issue? Do I need check my input shaft nut? Sadly I did not try to shift into 2nd before I replaced the valve body, but the car did drive without any problems (besides reverse).

EDIT: Well it turns out the person who drove the car home for me, said that 2nd gear 'knocked hard into gear' when pulling away from a stop light. This would point the finger at the solenoid, correct?

Last edited by Jhoe; 07-30-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: New information uncovered!
Jhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line
Default Re: Reverse slam x2

When you install a new valve body, the computer has to go through a re-learn procedure. Gears will "slam" or shift harshly from one to the next.

However, flooring it and not getting a downshift is not part of this re-learn procedure. Go back to the salvage yard and see if you can make an even trade for another valve body. Make sure your getting one out of a 1992+ s-series car. The '91 has a different type of valve body, the rest are all the same.

It sounds like the valve body you pulled was also bad and probably had more problems than the first.
/// Need rebuilt valve bodies? PM Me. \\\
//// Why bother with ebay when I'm right here? \\\\\
Valve bodies built to order

Please PM me about valve bodies, do not post a visitor message.
Special Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Jhoe

2002 SL1
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Forces View Post
It sounds like the valve body you pulled was also bad and probably had more problems than the first.
Thanks, that's what I figured, I will see if the salvage yard will make an exchange.

The model of the valve body is correct, as is the manual 'pin' that was in it.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Jhoe

2002 SL1
1999 SC1

No returns on the valve body.

Checked the solenoids. They all check out to roughly 4.6-5.2Ω. Going to put the old one back in, then tighten the input and output shaft nuts. Too bad my dang torque wrench is 120 miles away.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Jhoe

2002 SL1
1999 SC1

Put the old valve body back in and changed the input and output shaft nuts.

The input shaft nut was able to be removed by hand! Didn't even need a wrench it was that loose.

I couldn't find a socket (23mm 12pt 1/2 drive THIN WALLED) in town, so I made my own since I have two of them and took one to the grinding wheel. Worked great!

So, if you can find an extra 23mm 12pt socket, I recommend just grinding it down to allow for clearance when you change the nut as no one seems to carry it and Craftsman discontinued making them (too many broken exchanges/returns).

Car is shifting great now, including reverse. Still have an EGR (P0401) error code but at least the car is usable now.