SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Glennja
Glennja is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
Default 97 SW2 Rear Brake Bleed Valve

So I just replaced my wheel cylinder on the drivers side drum on my 97 SW2, but I can't seem to find the size of the bleeder valve anywhere online, and the smallest wrench I have (10mm) is too big, I am thinking its a 6mm, but I want to make sure before I buy a wrench just for this (poor college student, don't want to spend money if I don't have to).

Also, will I have to bleed the whole system or just that one line?
Glennja is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 97 SW2 Rear Brake Bleed Valve

How is it that a bleed screw didn't come with the replacement wheel cylinder?

Special parts like bleed screws require careful shopping online if you don't know specific dimensions; one major site claims front and rears are 10mm x 1.0 @34mm length while another site shows 10x1 front, 7x1 rear (example; http://www.drivewire.com/vehicle/199...e-bleed-screw/). If you have the old wheel cylinder you can reuse the bleed screw. If the old and new have exactly the same dimensions including bleed screw size then the old one can be taken with you to a brake shop to buy the replacement. Brake shops stock all sizes or know what size fits. Auto stores may have talented clerks to help size one with the old wheel cylinder but dim bulbs may not have a clue. Another way to size up bleed screws, depending on ability, would be to find a clean bolt to screw in to the old/new hole - threads should be perfectly matched to allow a bolt to screw in immediately but the wrong one won't. Start with a 10mm bolt and work down. It only takes a turn or two, no more, to find the right bolt size and then match this bolt to a bleed screw for replacement. WARNING: DO NOT USE ANY BOLT AS A BLEED SCREW! You're using small bolts to find the correct size bleed screw threads.

Brake system hydraulics are designed in dual diagonal configuration, 'X' style; front right/left rear, front left/right rear. Two separate brake lines fed from two output ports on the brake master cylinder. If ABS is used then the brake lines are separated into four lines; two outputs from the brake master feeds into the ABS unit that controls four separate brake lines - one to each brake. With or without ABS, brakes are bled in the original configuration starting with the left rear first as its the furthest from the master cylinder; flush or bleed right rear then left front, left rear then right front. All flushing/bleeding done with the engine ALWAYS OFF.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I'm pretty sure it's an 8mm. Probably one those awesome things that change size depending on manufacturer...like pants
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nice

1999 SC2
1999 SL2

Just did four wheel cylinders on two S cars. Bleeder used either an 8mm or 5/16" hex wrench. Smaller than the OEMs that were on there.

Frankly, if you had to buy one of those two sizes and stay on the cheap, I would go with the 5/16" as you likely have more uses for it overall. Just my opinion.

jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote