SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #1
AprilSL1
AprilSL1 has a spectacular aura aboutAprilSL1 has a spectacular aura aboutAprilSL1 has a spectacular aura about

Roll Eyes 2000 Sl1 Hood Won't Release

Hello!

Ok, I went to open the hood, pulled the lever inside and the latch to the hood didn't release. The lever from the inside just smoothly lifted up.

Normally I feel a tug and the hood pops open.

How do I get the hood open to see what could be wrong? And is there any ideas of what is wrong? Parts I might need?

Thanks!

April
AprilSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: 2000 Sl1 Hood Won't Release

Most likely the release cable broke. It's quite...uh..fun to open the hood now

One method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDPyIV9BwRU
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

^^^That is probably the easiest way to do this job.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
AprilSL1
AprilSL1 has a spectacular aura aboutAprilSL1 has a spectacular aura aboutAprilSL1 has a spectacular aura about

Ok, so I had a friend sit on the hood while I pulled the lever back. Then when they got off and lifted the hood it unlatched and I was able to open it.

Does that mean I need a new latch? and my cable is ok?
Old 09-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Sounds like it worked like it should, BUT, with the hood up, have someone pull up on the release lever, and someone else watch to see if the latch moves or not. No movement='s cable broken, or off one end or the other.
OR, you may need to lubricate the latch mechanism as it might be kinda gunked up and not releasing reliably.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Flush it out with a spray cleaner that does not eat paint and use a dry lube on all pivot points. These bind up if ever oiled or greased. The actual contact point between the hood and latch needs a dry lube.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
AprilSL1

Ok great! Thank you, both for the advice

Would WD-40 be good enough to clean it up?

I'll get some dry lube also like you stated.