SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-03-2021, 10:37 PM   #1
ZAZZ
ZAZZ is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1
Default Replacement Roof, Glass, Etc?

One of the biggest problems my 94 SL1 had when I acquired it was a rusted roof due to paint that had been peeling for at least 7 years. I was able to grind away the rust, but I was left with two new problems: pitting left from the rust, and warping of the metal, probably due to my inexperience. I've been pretty successful filling the pitting with putty, but filling the low spots from my overzealous grinding seems to be a never ending task. The roof is still not smooth even after all my efforts of fill, sand, repeat. Even if I were to get it smooth, I don't know if I'll be able to accept it knowing how much putty is being used.

I know I should just leave well enough alone and not worry about it, but being a bit of a perfectionist, I just can't seem to let it go.

In searching the forum, I was delighted to learn that the roof is not welded in place, rather held with urethane and 6 bolts. Such a job might be within my skill set since I don't know how to weld. Here's the thread I found:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176982

The problem for this approach seems to be the passage of time. When he built that car, it seems he was able to buy a new roof, front & rear windows, etc. In my searches, it looks like this is no longer the case in 2021.

I know there's always the possibility of cutting the roof off a donor car from a junkyard, but of course that's only on the rare event that a 1st gen shows up, let alone with a good roof. Plus I'm not even sure if the u-pull yards like LKQ would allow me to cut the roof off a car, say at the pillars.

Does anybody know of a source where I might be able to obtain a new roof, or perhaps somebody that's near Bradenton, FL that has a donor car I can harvest?

Additionally, I know there's a huge risk that the windshield and rear window will be broken during removal, even if I have them removed by a professional. Does anybody know if replacements are still available along with the applicable molding?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
1997 Chevy Camaro 3.8L 5-Speed
2013 Yamaha VX Cruiser
2002 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
1994 Saturn SL1
ZAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2021, 08:43 PM   #2
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1995 SW2
Default Re: Replacement Roof, Glass, Etc?

I do not believe a roof is still available. Also have no clue about the windshields. If you find any information regarding new ones, post it here as I am curious now...
1994 Sl2 5spd First Car, Stock: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd: Retired Daily, Not Stock: 192,000
1998 Sl2 5spd: Family Car, Stock :135,000
1995 SW2 4spd: Daily, Stock: 91,000
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
A2Saturn
A2Saturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Safelite installed a new front windshield on my car last fall. Only difference from OEM, is that is has a tinted band across the top. I've been very pleased with the install, with no wind or water leaks. New black rubber molding is attached to the glass as well. The wrap around windshields on the Gen 1 sedans lend a nice design touch.
A2Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:08 AM   #4
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Saturn View Post
Safelite installed a new front windshield on my car last fall. Only difference from OEM, is that is has a tinted band across the top. I've been very pleased with the install, with no wind or water leaks. New black rubber molding is attached to the glass as well. The wrap around windshields on the Gen 1 sedans lend a nice design touch.
I, pretty much, had the same experience (albeit not with Safelite). Guy came right out to my house, installed a new windshield. So, front windshields are readily available (at least they were a year or so ago, when I had mine replaced). I have comprehensive insurance coverage so it cost me only the $100 deductible.
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #5
ZAZZ
ZAZZ is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Thank you everybody for the insight. I've accepted defeat on the roof (for now). I'm just going to make it look as good as I can for the time being and overlook the imperfections. I'm almost ready to paint the roof. I've decided I'm going to omit clear coat for reasons below. I may even just paint it satin black like the rest of the space frame to keep the cost down.

Although I've accepted defeat on making the current roof look good, I'm still searching for a replacement roof. Although the closest used one I can find is >200 miles away, I'll be visiting family out of state soon and found one the same color as mine that's about 30 miles from their house. I'll probably also get an extra rear window as well since it's available.

So that I can begin planning the job, does anybody know what the roof is bonded with? Is it just ordinary panel bond or something else?

Thank you!
1997 Chevy Camaro 3.8L 5-Speed
2013 Yamaha VX Cruiser
2002 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
1994 Saturn SL1
ZAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote