saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 03-09-2021, 02:08 PM   #21
ginmf
ginmf is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2004 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: Manual Trans "Push-start" question

I know its an old thread -but it's relevant.

Just tried bump starting my '07 Ion for the first time. I didn't need to - but I was parked on an incline and its a manual transmission, so why not?

As soon as I let out the clutch, the car started. It ran for maybe a second then shut off. The security (passlock I guess?) light flashed on the dash.

I was able to then turn the key and the car started and drove just fine.

Is there a way to bump start and Ion with a battery that's too dead to turn over the engine? Or if there's a bad starter? Is it because the car is starting with the wheels rolling? Or does it have something to do with the ignition? If I turn the key to start right after dumping the clutch, would that work?

I'll try it and report back if no one knows.

FWIW, I know for a fact that this wasn't an issue with my '04 Vue. I accidently left the dome light on for several hours but was able to push start it to save the call of shame to my wife.
ginmf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2021, 05:29 PM   #22
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

*Every manual xmission car, truck, suv with a battery that won't power up its starter or the starter failed always has the backup feature of pushing the vehicle then popping the clutch to start the engine. Only manual xmissions can do this because you're selecting a gear; with clutch out, gear selected, someone pushing the vehicle then letting the clutch engage xmission/drive wheels and engine. This is a direct mechanical connection from engine, xmission to drive wheels, resulting in an engine start. The secret you may not know follows.

The moment the ignition switch is turned to the ON/RUN position (whether older distributor ignition system or conventional EFI, power is applied to the distributor or EFI system. In your car, the EFI system (every EFI system in the world) is 'running'. The electronics are ON and just waiting for you to turn the key to START. In effect, the EFI system is already running but waiting for the starter to turn the engine over. Without a starter and some battery voltage (not enough juice to power the starter but still powers the EFI system), leaving ignition on and push starting with the clutch always works. Automatics cannot be pushed started because the torque converter is a fluid coupling that simply will not work for push starting. No direct mechanical connection between engine and xmission in automatics.
Vehicles with manual xmissions have the hail Mary of push starting as long as some battery power remains.

All you need to remember is push starting works for manual xmissions as long as there's some battery power. Even motorcycles can be pushed started if the starter failed (as long as the battery has some power).
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:02 PM   #23
ginmf

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2004 VUE 2.4L

In the days of carbs and distributors - that very well may be true.

But, with modern, computer controlled ignitions and anti theft safety "Features" it's not necessarily true any more.

Like I said - my Ion will indeed pop start by letting out the clutch in gear with the ignition on while its moving. But, almost immediately after it starts, the car shuts itself off and the dash lights up with a car and padlock indicating there's a security problem.

I'm just interested in knowing if there's a way to pop start this particular car in case I ever need to.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:15 PM   #24
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

FWIW I recall my 2007 Ion (2.2L) being very difficult to push start when I had it. I only tried a few times, but I could only get it to pop off once at my parents' place which had a long hill to let it roll down. I just chalked it up to being stubborn. I never had an issue with anti-theft/security not letting it start (security light never blinked) or starting then stalling. I recall a few other members on here having the same experience as myself a long time ago. Another time when it was difficult to start was if the engine was accidentally stalled at a stop when trying to go again. It would need to crank for at least 3 seconds before it would start in those situations unless I activated fuel cut-off (floored the accelerator pedal).

This was a stark contrast from a 2000 SC2 I had. I could push that car on a level surface by myself and have it running within a hundred feet or so. In fact, I remember when the starter went out, I push started it and drove it to/from work for a couple days while I waited for the new starter to arrive. You best bet I was extra careful not to stall it at stops. Thankfully, it was a pretty short trip that was mostly highway and only had a few stops.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 203K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 68K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #25
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmf View Post
.... almost immediately after it starts, the car shuts itself off and the dash lights up with a car and padlock indicating there's a security problem.

I'm just interested in knowing if there's a way to pop start this particular car in case I ever need to.
Passlock flashing means either a theft attempt was made without turning the ignition switch with a key, not inserting and turning the ignition switch with Passlock enabled within 10-15 seconds of entering your car or forgetting to use the remote to Unlock/disable Passlock. When security was flashing, Passlock detected a theft attempt and invokes security by disabling injector operation - the reason the engine started then died. You verified two key points of Ion security; Passlock disables starting and injector operation. Bypassing the starter by push starting doesn't defeat injector operation when security is enabled.

To have push start capability despite factory security in your manual, be sure Passlock security is disabled; manually unlocking driver's door, entering, inserting the ignition key and turning it to ON/RUN position in under 10 seconds to disable Passlock security, using your remote to Unlock/disable Passlock security before turning the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position or never enabling Passlock security by manually locking/unlocking doors without using the remote. The key is knowing how Passlock security operates, disabling it when not needed, understanding how Passlock uses the EFI system to disable one or more features for theft protection, and understanding the various modes of Passlock alerts with its security indicator; On, Off, blinking and flashing.

Passlock security, when disabled, will allow Ions push starting.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #26
ginmf

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2004 VUE 2.4L

That's good stuff. Thanks for explaining it.

I had no idea that there was a way to enable/disable the passlock. I got this Ion used with no owner's manual.

I learned a thing. I'll have to try push starting it again.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:30 AM   #27
blvdcruiser
blvdcruiser is a jewel in the roughblvdcruiser is a jewel in the roughblvdcruiser is a jewel in the rough

well on 6/22/2021 i tried to push start my 2004 ion when the starter died. we pushed it up to 5 miles an hour and i popped the clutch in 2nd. it started for a sec and then the pass lock light came on and the message center displayed service. it failed to start. I made sure that i unlocked the doors with the fob to make sure the security wasn't armed. i wasn't holding the key in "start" it was just in the run position. The other thing is the clutch switch position. The engine may not start if the clutch is not pressed all the way down. i had the car towed home but today thinking of it, I think taping the clutch switch down and holding the key in "start" probably would have worked. After the replacement starter is installed i cant try it again.
blvdcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:54 PM   #28
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdcruiser View Post
well on 6/22/2021 i tried to push start my 2004 ion when the starter died. we pushed it up to 5 miles an hour and i popped the clutch in 2nd. it started for a sec and then the pass lock light came on and the message center displayed service. it failed to start. I made sure that i unlocked the doors with the fob to make sure the security wasn't armed. i wasn't holding the key in "start" it was just in the run position. The other thing is the clutch switch position. The engine may not start if the clutch is not pressed all the way down. i had the car towed home but today thinking of it, I think taping the clutch switch down and holding the key in "start" probably would have worked. After the replacement starter is installed i cant try it again.
The clutch switch only stops the starter from engaging if it's not pressed. Not pushing it won't prevent the engine from starting. If you wanted to try it anyways, you don't need to tape the clutch switch down. Simply unplug it and insert a jumper wire into the connector.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 203K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 68K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote