saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2
Default Fog Lights

I have the 98 SL2 and am wanting fog lights I have searched for a basic undersataning on what I need and looked at petdmc how-to but did not realy get what i need to steal out of one at the yard

cound someone please make this simple for me
Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2
Default Re: Fog Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturninin View Post
I have the 98 SL2 and am wanting fog lights I have searched for a basic undersataning on what I need and looked at petdmc how-to but did not realy get what i need to steal out of one at the yard

cound someone please make this simple for me
If you're trying to remove them at the junkyard, first remove the plastic fasteners securing the fender liner to the front fascia. Then grab the fascia and pull until you rip it from the car. Doesnt take too much muscle. Then remove the foglamps. Probably a couple 13mm nuts.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
If you're trying to remove them at the junkyard, first remove the plastic fasteners securing the fender liner to the front fascia. Then grab the fascia and pull until you rip it from the car. Doesnt take too much muscle. Then remove the foglamps. Probably a couple 13mm nuts.
I think he wants to know what else to pilfer. Like fog light switch, relay, etc. I think that's it...fog light switch and relay.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
hholbein
hholbein is just really nicehholbein is just really nicehholbein is just really nicehholbein is just really nice

1997 SW2

I have OEM fog lights on my SW2, and they don't do very much at all (except add another 54W of electrical load), at least since I upgraded the OEM low beam bulbs to Toshiba HIR bulbs, which DO provide reasonable illumination.

Has anyone tried the LED replacements for the #880 incandescent bulbs in the OEM fog lights?

The fogs on my Subaru Outback are bigger and do a reasonable job widening the illumination view and filling in dim spots. Good for spotting roadside critters as well.

Just thought I'd let you know before you spend a lot of time on a project with marginal gains.
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
I have OEM fog lights on my SW2, and they don't do very much at all (except add another 54W of electrical load), at least since I upgraded the OEM low beam bulbs to Toshiba HIR bulbs, which DO provide reasonable illumination.

Has anyone tried the LED replacements for the #880 incandescent bulbs in the OEM fog lights?

The fogs on my Subaru Outback are bigger and do a reasonable job widening the illumination view and filling in dim spots. Good for spotting roadside critters as well.

Just thought I'd let you know before you spend a lot of time on a project with marginal gains.
Hey HHolbein; this is a question for you....I have a 97 SW2 as well. I got some OEM Fog Lights to add to my car as well; still haven't gotten around to adding them into the car (Brackets, switch, wiring, etc....) Did you have to do any type of re-enforcement with the Toshiba HIR Fog Lamps, or were they a direct plug-n-play? Where did you get the Toshiba HIR fog lamps? Were these a Special Order type lamp and what was the ballpark price on getting these?
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:

somebody makes led fog light upgrades??
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
Saturninin

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

yeah I was looking at what all to pillage but if they are not that good and simple new bulbs will fix it what HID bulbs should I use?

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
Old 12-09-2009, 03:32 AM   #8
hholbein
hholbein is just really nicehholbein is just really nicehholbein is just really nicehholbein is just really nice

1997 SW2

Here's the type of HIR replacement bulbs I installed that are noticeably brighter than the stock OEM bulbs:

http://www.finemotoring.com/

I only replaced the low beams (9006 bulb?), since the high beams are ok.

In my case, I had to do 5 minutes worth of "pruning" of the Toshiba HIR plastic bulb base to make it fit the stock low beam headlight socket, but it was pretty easy. If you search the SaturnFans website, someone posted step by step instructions and pics, so it's pretty goof-proof.

Regarding the foglamp bulb replacements, The LED replacement for the incandescent 880 bulbs include the following:

http://www.ledlight.com/880-13-smt-5...ving-lamp.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/High-Powered-R.../dp/B001NOO76U

At 9W, they should be very bright, compared to the 20W Stock bulbs
Old 12-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Here's the type of HIR replacement bulbs I installed that are noticeably brighter than the stock OEM bulbs:

In my case, I had to do 5 minutes worth of "pruning" of the Toshiba HIR plastic bulb base to make it fit the stock low beam headlight socket, but it was pretty easy. If you search the SaturnFans website, someone posted step by step instructions and pics, so it's pretty goof-proof.

Regarding the foglamp bulb replacements, The LED replacement for the incandescent 880 bulbs include the following:

wow i never seen those fog lamp led bulbs. are they bright? has anyone tried them? my stock bulbs are 35watt. i would like to see a side by side comparison between the stock bulb vs led's...
Old 12-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Oddly, I never thought about grabbing them this way.. I usually just remove the headlight (2 bolts) and go in from the top...
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
Saturninin

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:

how much real gain is it in the brightness do you have any comapison pictures?

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
Old 12-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #12
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
how much real gain is it in the brightness do you have any comapison pictures?
i would love to see them also! ya guys know what though, there's a drawback with these kind of led lights for people who live in freezing climates. say it's snowing heavy with those lights on, they won't melt the ice & snow on them because the led's won't get hot like a bulb would & the lights would get covered. same for led's that might fit into the headlamp housings in future headlamp conversions.

if your lights are iced up in the morning, & already covered, the same thing goes. on my car the bulbs melt the snow pretty fast...

sometimes the saturn light assemblys get condensation in them & again ya need the heat of a regular bulb to dry up this moisture in operation.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
Saturninin

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

yeah forgot about that saturnsctwo with all this snow and that

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
Old 12-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
hholbein

1997 SW2

Sorry, I didn't take any comparison pics, but they do make a huge difference. Night driving in the winter here (with that common combination of dark & rainy) is a real strain. My wife used to cuss the old headlamps even more than I did. Now, no complaints.

Someone else did post comparison pics, probably you can find them with a search.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #15
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't take any comparison pics, but they do make a huge difference. Night driving in the winter here (with that common combination of dark & rainy) is a real strain. My wife used to cuss the old headlamps even more than I did. Now, no complaints.

Someone else did post comparison pics, probably you can find them with a search.
so you have these led's in your fog lamps? if so what ones do ya have exactly?

Last edited by saturnsctwo; 12-09-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #16
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
yeah forgot about that saturnsctwo with all this snow and that
led's do in fact get hot, & that's why they are usually mounted on heat sinks, but it's a different kind of heat. the bulbs put out a more radiant intense heat. if fact i thought i read somewhere that future cars with factory led headlights would have heating/ventilation in their housings. on my 2001 sc2 snow & ice really can't accumulate on the fog lamps because they are recessed in the bumper cover so led's in those houisings would not matter, but on the headlamp pods that's a different story. having bluish bright fog's interests me. i would love to see these lights.....
Old 12-10-2009, 12:47 AM   #17
hholbein

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
led's do in fact get hot, & that's why they are usually mounted on heat sinks, but it's a different kind of heat. the bulbs put out a more radiant intense heat. if fact i thought i read somewhere that future cars with factory led headlights would have heating/ventilation in their housings. on my 2001 sc2 snow & ice really can't accumulate on the fog lamps because they are recessed in the bumper cover so led's in those houisings would not matter, but on the headlamp pods that's a different story. having bluish bright fog's interests me. i would love to see these lights.....

Just to clarify, i *DO NOT* have LEDs in either my low beams or my fog lamps, I was just curious if anyone else had given them a try.

I'm surprised that a 9W LED would overheat in the fog light fixture, certainly there should be less waste heat generated vs. a 27W incandescent.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #18
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Just to clarify, i *DO NOT* have LEDs in either my low beams or my fog lamps, I was just curious if anyone else had given them a try.

I'm surprised that a 9W LED would overheat in the fog light fixture, certainly there should be less waste heat generated vs. a 27W incandescent.
oh the way you were talking about how bright they are i asseumed you ahd them. no a 9 w led won't over heat at all. but the problem is these light housings do need some heat to expell moisture & condensation when it forms...
Old 12-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #19
hholbein

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
oh the way you were talking about how bright they are i asseumed you ahd them. no a 9 w led won't over heat at all. but the problem is these light housings do need some heat to expell moisture & condensation when it forms...
Got it. If I buy a pair of LED replacement bulbs, I'll be sure to put a new weekly item on the maintenance calendar -- blow drying the foglight reflector assemblies ;^)
Old 12-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #20
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Got it. If I buy a pair of LED replacement bulbs, I'll be sure to put a new weekly item on the maintenance calendar -- blow drying the foglight reflector assemblies ;^)
the housings should dry out themselves eventually without heat if their vent system is working properly without any leaks in the housings, but the heat helps. sometimes the halogen bulbs on the other hand cause moisture to form in the first place say when it's cold & humid outside the heat of the bulb causes some moisture to form in the inner corner of the lenses. led replacements might never be a reality for our headlamp housings seeing they need the optics to go with them unless they can make them very small. the new audi for example has a large what looks like a curved magnifying glass in front of an led cluster to focus the light on the road where it belongs. so that might be hard to make in a small capsule, but we'll see what they come out with...

sure ya can get led drl's now or low power fog lights, but actual headlamp led's are another story...