SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 01-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
07VUE
07VUE is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default "blip" in RPMs when holding accelerator steady/constant

We have a 2007 Vue (3.5 L, front-wheel drive, 27K miles) that my wife drives. I've noticed when driving it that if I hold the accelerator very steady/constant at something that results in the engine taching around 1200, that I get little "blips" in the RPMs. I watch the tachometer go from 1200 to 1300 for about half a second and then back down to 1200. This repeats every couple of seconds. And it's not just the gauge; you can hear the engine's subtle increase in RPMs.

Does anyone else have this issue or have any idea what it might be?
07VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: "blip" in RPMs when holding accelerator steady/constant

mine just started doing the same thing this evening. Have no clur, maybe torque convertor going out?
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07VUE View Post
We have a 2007 Vue (3.5 L, front-wheel drive, 27K miles) that my wife drives. I've noticed when driving it that if I hold the accelerator very steady/constant at something that results in the engine taching around 1200, that I get little "blips" in the RPMs. I watch the tachometer go from 1200 to 1300 for about half a second and then back down to 1200. This repeats every couple of seconds. And it's not just the gauge; you can hear the engine's subtle increase in RPMs.

Does anyone else have this issue or have any idea what it might be?
Could it be the transmission "hunting" different gear due to subtle differences in surface grade?

Both fourth and fifth are overdrive so if speed is low enough put gear selector to I and see if RPM is stable.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Could be the transmission, or it could be as simple as a dirty EGR.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
emsvitil
Advanced Member
emsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L

Is the AC or defroster (uses AC to pull water out of air) on?

If so, the blip is when the AC compressor is shut off. It takes the idle speed computer a little bit of time to compensate for less load on the engine.
Ed
emsvitil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
07VUE

2007 VUE 3.5L

It doesn't feel like gear hunting. If it were bumping back and forth between 4th and 5th I'd expect to feel it more. And since neither the AC or defroster is running when this occurs, I don't think it can be attributed to that.

Fortunately, the vehicle is still under warranty, so I can take it in and have the dealer figure it out. I just like to do my research beforehand so that I can refute their "that's normal and characteristic of the vehicle" claims.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Discussed in detail here:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145295

I suggest changing your ATF. Grab 12 quarts of Honda Z1 ATF, drain, fill. Repeat two more times. See if this solves your issue. If not, you may have a failing tq which will be addressed under the powertrain warranty.
2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
mrtube
Advanced Member
mrtube is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I agree with Golf. Thats exactly what ours was doing due to dirty fluid. Did 3 drain\refills problem has been gone for almost 3000 miles now.

make sure you use honda ATF-Z1. also a dealer is probably going to make excuses, tell you its normal. OR they are going to blame the torque converter.
mrtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 AM   #9
joemaniaci
joemaniaci is on a distinguished road

Just had my transmission flushed, problem resolved.
joemaniaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:39 AM   #10
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the rough

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2006 VUE 3.5L

Agreed, had the same problem, went away with the first transmission fluid change.... did 3 refills so far. Is the low gear shifting jerky?.. especially when accelerating after going around a corner or starting up at a light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtube View Post
also a dealer is probably going to make excuses, tell you its normal. OR they are going to blame the torque converter.
& charge you a diagnostic fee (although under warranty) to add insult to injury.

Last edited by Bismarck318; 01-21-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #11
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Does the Honda transmission have a lock up torque converter? It could just be the torque converter locking and unlocking. My Protege will do that and it has a lock up torque converter.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

If you go back to the dealer, they will tell you that you ave 100k mile fluid and it doesn't need to be changed. Don't believe them. Honda told me that the fluid needs to be changed between 20k and 25k miles. I think GM/ Saturn may just say 100k so you have to purchase a new tranny when yours dies out of warranty.

Mines is over at Saturn right now for a new RDM and possible T/C replacement
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
mrtube
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

I don't feel there was any bad intent on GM's part with the 100k fluid change.

GM automatics have no problem going 100+K on trans fluid. IMO its a combination of poor communication with Honda, documents and Saturn pushing 100K no tuneups.

I've personally had 200k+ miles on fluid in a GM automatic and it wasn't even close to as dark as the Honda's at 50K. Right now my father has 105K on his chevy truck that is used for plowing snow A LOT, the fluid is original and still bright red.

But either way, I don't think it was a plan to ruin the transmission simply poor planning\communication. either way the fluid does need to be changed A LOT.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #14
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the rough

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2006 VUE 3.5L

My prior thread on this subject...http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135629

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtube View Post
I don't feel there was any bad intent on GM's part with the 100k fluid change.

GM automatics have no problem going 100+K on trans fluid. IMO its a combination of poor communication with Honda, documents and Saturn pushing 100K no tuneups.

I've personally had 200k+ miles on fluid in a GM automatic and it wasn't even close to as dark as the Honda's at 50K. Right now my father has 105K on his chevy truck that is used for plowing snow A LOT, the fluid is original and still bright red.

But either way, I don't think it was a plan to ruin the transmission simply poor planning\communication. either way the fluid does need to be changed A LOT.
Mine likely was not changed at 71K, so it was very dark & one change cured this RPM 'oscillation', The recomended interval is 50K, but from what I've experienced, & what I read here I'd do it sooner than 50K & do it once a year thereafter.

Please let us know if the change helps.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
07VUE

2007 VUE 3.5L

Does anyone know of a TSB or anything semi-official that documents the issue? I really don't want to mess with changing the fluid myself, especially since it's the middle of winter here in Michigan. I would just like to take the vehicle in to the dealer and get them to change the fluid under warranty at no charge.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #16
mrtube
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

There is no TSB and no documentation on it. I highly doubt the dealer will do it under warranty, and I was afraid to let anyone do it because they would probably assume it uses normal trans fluid.

To change it you dont even have to jack the vehicle up. Its simple but I agree a pain in the butt.

The other thing I was worried about with a dealer doing it, Do I know if they did the full 3 changes? or just did one and said "yea, good to go"

Mine still worked terrible after the first change, 2nd change it started to clear up pretty good. 3rd change it was good as new.

I'm still aiming to do a 4th change soon. just have not had the chance.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #17
Bismarck318

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2006 VUE 3.5L

I'd even worry if the dealer would use the correct fluid too, some don't understand what kind of animal they are working with. (using a Z1 Approved Honda Type Fluid)

I can't blame ya for not wanting to do this in the winter either (cold is like my kryptonite), I'll be doing a 4th change myself in the spring, the hardest part was getting the drain plug loose, I had to brace myself against a wall use my feet & a breaker arm. the first time I did it... salts & corrosives must have reacted with the disimilar metals & froze it on.

I used a piece of gas line & funnel to fill via the dipstick tube as getting to the filler plug is near impossible.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
mrtube
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

I had used my dads torque wrench to break the plug loose

Its got maybe a 2 1/2 foot handle if not longer, it was very easy to break loose
Old 01-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #19
07VUE

2007 VUE 3.5L

The dealer I bought the vehicle from guarantees the powertrain for life. While the Saturn aspect of that dealer will obviously go away, they believe they're going to "live on" as a GM dealer and that lifetime powertrain warranty will be honored. Since it really is in their best interest to change the fluid and to change it with the right stuff, I'm hoping (though not optimistic) that it gives me some leverage.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #20
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
Does the Honda transmission have a lock up torque converter? It could just be the torque converter locking and unlocking. My Protege will do that and it has a lock up torque converter.
Yes, it's the torque converter locking and unlocking. When it happens where there is no appreciable change in engine load, you need to change your fluid.

The Saturn maintenance schedule recommends ATF fluid changed at 25,000 miles if:

Severe service is when the vehicle is mainly
driven under one or more of these conditions:
− In heavy city traffic where the outside
temperature regularly reaches 90F (32C)
or higher.
− In hilly or mountainous terrain.
− When doing frequent trailer towing.
− Uses such as found in taxi, police, or delivery
service.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 14.7 beta
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote