SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Replacing water pump

Ok, I've gotten the pulley and old pump out. I wound up having to move the AC compressor to get better access to the upper 3 bolts....so far haven't had a problem.....getting ready here in a bit to apply the RTV to the gasket and pump and put pump back on.......is there any time frame I have to wait before starting her back up to check for leaks or is the rtv merely to keep that little gasket on there......the way it looks it doesn't take much rtv as the gasket and groove it sits in are not very big to begin with
The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: Replacing water pump

I would check the label on the RTV tube.

I would let it cure for a little bit before driving around....at least a few hours. Some RTV is 24 hours.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

I was just wondering, because from wolfman's how to to other descriptions of the job on here noone mentions having to wait
The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

I used a Permatex product made especially for rubber gaskets (left over from my valve cover job). Set the new water pump in this miserable Alabama sun and it set in a few minutes.
I looked at moving the compressor over, decided it would be too many extra bolts to mess with, somehow I did the water pump with the compressor in place. It's a little awkward but possible.
97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Slightly off topic.. Anybody know if any higher flow pumps are made for the S-series?

Something I'd consider in the future..
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

You might find a smaller pulley so it turns faster?
If the rest of the cooling system was in good repair, why do you want a higher-flow pump. (I would think the weak link is the "very fine quality" plastic radiator anyway.)
97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
I would check the label on the RTV tube.

I would let it cure for a little bit before driving around....at least a few hours. Some RTV is 24 hours.
Absolutely not. The RTV isn't creating the seal, the gasket is. The RTV is only there to hold the gasket in place while putting the new pump in. Bolt it up, fill it with coolant, and drive away. If we had to sit and let RTV cure in the shop before we moved on to the next job we would all starve to death.
Certified Saturn Technician
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
PIYIRIO
PIYIRIO is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
...Bolt it up, fill it with coolant, and drive away...
Thats what I've always done... My Dad always said by the time its all put back together its dried enough. Never had a problem.
PIYIRIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Absolutely not. The RTV isn't creating the seal, the gasket is. The RTV is only there to hold the gasket in place while putting the new pump in. Bolt it up, fill it with coolant, and drive away. If we had to sit and let RTV cure in the shop before we moved on to the next job we would all starve to death.
I know there are different RTVs. I guess I got spoiled because the gasketmaker stuff I bought once; said it needed time to cure. I had another car to drive around in, so I let the stuff dry completely.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #10
SLCraig
Master Member

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
If the rest of the cooling system was in good repair, why do you want a higher-flow pump.
(If available) because I can
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
Old 09-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Why bother with RTV? I've done 4-5 water pumps without it and don't have any leaks.

My '93 cools off fast enough from ~3/4 when I "practice" 0-60's after being stuck in traffic there's no need for a high-flow pump...
If you want it to cool off faster it'd be cheaper to either put in the manual fan switch or ditch the A/C condenser.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #12
SLCraig
Master Member

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Why bother with RTV? I've done 4-5 water pumps without it and don't have any leaks.

My '93 cools off fast enough from ~3/4 when I "practice" 0-60's after being stuck in traffic there's no need for a high-flow pump...
If you want it to cool off faster it'd be cheaper to either put in the manual fan switch or ditch the A/C condenser.
What I actually think I need is a freaking airdam since like most older S-Series I see, the airdam is missing and probably has been for some time. My car will barely cool off down to 3/8 from half or so unless I'm doing at least 30mph for quite a while.. Not enough flow. If the fan comes on though, its fine. So at least I'm not too worried about it ever overheating. Just sometimes it sits higher on the gauge for a period of time than my SL1 ever did. (no A/C)
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
Old 09-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
Canyon
Advanced Member
Canyon has a spectacular aura aboutCanyon has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1999 SL1

Quote:
As stated above by Squareback, the gasket is the seal. I only use RTV to hold the gasket in place while I install the water pump cover. No waiting time required.
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon View Post
As stated above by Squareback, the gasket is the seal. I only use RTV to hold the gasket in place while I install the water pump cover. No waiting time required.
That is what I wound up doing, but as I couldn't get into a good position in there instead of RTV'ing the gasket to the place where it went on the engine I RTV'd it to the pump itself...for me at least it made it easier to make sure the Gasket was lined up right....this job was alot easier than I ever thought it would be....biggest pain in the ass was having to get the AC compressor out of the way to get at the last bolt to the waterpump....that thing wouldn't budge coming out of or going into the bracket....and I got to hear what was left of the freon leak out of it when I gave it a good tug....
Old 09-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
Fox Slaughter
Fox Slaughter is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

I've done two now. One in the middle of winter and one last week. Last one took me 2 hours, didn't remove the A/C either. I used RTV high temp, went around all the bolt holes. Put it back together, filled it up, ran it, topped it off and then drove around the block.

My sister is driving that car to Detroit and no problems.
I'll be sitting at my desk
With a gun in my hand, wearing a bulletproof vest singing
"My, my, my, how the time does fly, when you know you're going to die
By the end of the night."
Fox Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #16
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Slaughter View Post
I've done two now. One in the middle of winter and one last week. Last one took me 2 hours, didn't remove the A/C either. I used RTV high temp, went around all the bolt holes. Put it back together, filled it up, ran it, topped it off and then drove around the block.

My sister is driving that car to Detroit and no problems.
This one took a little more than 2 hours total, less than two if you take out the couple times I had to stop to stretch and come in and take a look at this website.....I couldn't get to the last bolt to save my life...so I had to remove the A/C