SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods

Old 03-20-2022, 12:19 AM   #1
06saturnvuenat
06saturnvuenat is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default 2006 Saturn Vue AWD V6 Aftermarket Stero

Im at a bit of a loss even after countless saturnfan threads in regards to swapping in an aftermarket stereo. My vehicle does have the factory subwoofer and amp under the rear seat. I've been looking at Dual units with Apple carplay which is a want. Would I only need the Metra 70-2202 harness to wire it in? I've read that i'd need to bypass the factory amp as well in order to install a unit? If that is the case would I be able to run a new subwoofer and retain the factory speakers powered from the headunit itself? Any help would be much appreciated as I'm trying to upgrade the headunit on a budget as well and dont want to have to basically install new wiring etc.
06saturnvuenat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2022, 05:03 PM   #2
ericdraven
ericdraven is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2006 Saturn Vue AWD V6 Aftermarket Stero

I have this in my regular 2006 saturn vue

https://planetaudio.com/product/p90cpa/

I have one 4 channel amp connected to 4 alpines in the doors and another sub amp for 2 12's in the back , it bumps and the stereo is pretty nice and is removable

had best buy install for free
ericdraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 11:16 PM   #3
ultravioletnk
ultravioletnk will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1
2000 SC2
Default Re: 2006 Saturn Vue AWD V6 Aftermarket Stero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06saturnvuenat View Post
Im at a bit of a loss even after countless saturnfan threads in regards to swapping in an aftermarket stereo. My vehicle does have the factory subwoofer and amp under the rear seat. I've been looking at Dual units with Apple carplay which is a want. Would I only need the Metra 70-2202 harness to wire it in? I've read that i'd need to bypass the factory amp as well in order to install a unit? If that is the case would I be able to run a new subwoofer and retain the factory speakers powered from the headunit itself? Any help would be much appreciated as I'm trying to upgrade the headunit on a budget as well and dont want to have to basically install new wiring etc.
you can retain the oem amplifier, but i'm not sure what levels it expects. the fsm merely states that the output from the radio is at "reduced levels". whether that means line level (quite probable) or somewhere between line level and speaker level isn't clear. if it is line level, you will want a head unit with rca preamp outputs, and you should solder some rca connectors onto the wires going to the amplifier. i like to just cut a spare rca cable (like you would use in a home stereo hifi system) in half and solder those halves onto the wires. the additional benefit of that setup is that you can then use the head unit's built-in amplifier to power 4 additional speakers if you so desire.

it is possible that the oem amp expects signals somewhere between line and speaker level, and in that case things are a bit more difficult. the line level outputs from an aftermarket head unit may not be enough to drive the amplifier, but the speaker level outputs will lead to a distorted and overdriven output. i don't have experience with the setup on vues, but i'm inclined to think it's more likely that the inputs to the amplifier are line level. most aftermarket head units can drive the rca preamp outputs pretty hard, so even if the amplifier expects higher level inputs you should be able to get it working.

when retaining the stock amp, you will also need to connect the "remote power on" signal wire from your aftermarket unit to the stock "amplifier control" wire. here is the schematic for a 2005 vue, which should be comparable to yours:

rings-1996 sl2 ~215k mi
phoebe-1995 sl1 ~250k mi
janus-2000 sohc2 ~190k mi
tethys-1994 sw2 ~302k mi
rip mimas-wrecked 1996 sw1-trailer
pandora-1999 sc2
dione-1998 sw2
penny [iapetus]-1997 sw2
ultravioletnk is offline   Reply With Quote